Refs Mics

roboscot

I live in Australia. I watch a lot of sport here, Aussie Rules, Rugby League and Union.

All of these codes broadcast the umpire's mic feed during the game. Not in the style of American Football where they address the stadium, but the conversations with players, advice to captains regards players who are treading a fine line and his calls/explanations of decisions.

It has helped me to understand the rules of these "foreign" sports but also to appreciate the finer points of how an official tries to control 2 teams of elite sportsmen.

Should our televised football, be it SPL, EPL, Champions League, Euro Championships or World Cup follow suit and let the viewers hear what the refs are saying? The officials are already wearing the equipment to talk to each other, shouldn't we be included in the conversation?

people can hear what is said, the match observer has a link to them and although cant speak to them can hear what they are saying. what difference does it make if we can hear? we cant change a decision the only thing it would do is help us understand and decision on the park. the other sports that have it have adapted to it and have the space to manouvre such technology into their games however i feel football is more complex and more followed therefore if we hear all the time what the refs are saying, say they do slip up we will vy for blood. It would be a never ending revolving door of refs due to pressure from fans wanting them excluded or refs walking away because of the abuse that comes their way thus never creating a real pool of talent, the best will simply walk away. there are other ways to improve the game and i feel this is not one of the ways to do so.

people can hear what is said, the match observer has a link to them and although cant speak to them can hear what they are saying. what difference does it make if we can hear? we cant change a decision the only thing it would do is help us understand and decision on the park. the other sports that have it have adapted to it and have the space to manouvre such technology into their games however i feel football is more complex and more followed therefore if we hear all the time what the refs are saying, say they do slip up we will vy for blood. It would be a never ending revolving door of refs due to pressure from fans wanting them excluded or refs walking away because of the abuse that comes their way thus never creating a real pool of talent, the best will simply walk away. there are other ways to improve the game and i feel this is not one of the ways to do so.

If the TV audience had heard Dougie McDonald's consultation with his linesman at Tannadice, would the "Dougie-gate" scandal and Ref Strike have happened?

I'd love to understand, though I know it won't change the call, what Thompson was thinking in the League Cup Final with the penalty that he gave then took back.

I disagree that it would cause additional pressure on the officials. At the moment their every move is scrutinised from multiple camera angles yet they have no means of conveying their interpretation of an incident from their unique position on the field. We already have UEFA/FIFA introducing additional assistants behind the goals so they do have the capacity to evolve the rules and the way they are enforced.

Could it actually improve the standard of refereeing?