Tax Case - The Political Battle

As the tax case drags on, I've noticed that the political implications haven't really been discussed. It has remained the sole concern of hacks and football fans.

I think at this stage we could really benefit from creating a structured argument against HMRCs pursuit of £50m on political grounds.

For example, politicians/government bodies have to realise that we would hold them responsible and vote accordingly.

We also have to come up with realistic figures that communicate the economic damage that could be done by forcing Rangers into administration or insolvency. Surely our great club is a massive boost to the economy and a source of national pride?

Other arguments might extend to job losses, recession, increased depression/violence/civil unrest etc. This should all become part of the fabric of the discourse and shift focus from arbitrary anti-Rangers agendas and instead start to involve the economy-conscious middle classes and political power brokers.

All of this is especially pertinent given the fact that, no matter what, HMRC will spend a fortune in legal fees and still stand little chance of gaining any money from the case to add to the public purse.

I'm not sure how such a movement would be organised or managed and I am certainly not the guy to do it, but if we were to flesh out 5 - 10 compelling arguments we could arrange letters to the media, MP's, Twitter trending topics etc to get our opinions heard.

Any input from the regular experts would be appreciated, especially where specific figures can be used to formulate arguments.

There is no pertinent argument to put. If what we done is found to be wrong then we shouldn't get any political favours at all.

Pay up or face the consequences. (tu)

I very much doubt that we knew we were doing wrong. We didn't just decide one day to do it, we were obviously advised and at the time it was legal. So why can they just decide to change the rules and face no consequences?

I very much doubt that we knew we were doing wrong. We didn't just decide one day to do it, we were obviously advised and at the time it was legal. So why can they just decide to change the rules and face no consequences?

Im afraid that ignorance is not a defence. If what we were doing is found to be wrong, wilful or not, then we deserve to be punished, as hard as that may sound.

Im afraid that ignorance is not a defence. If what we were doing is found to be wrong, wilful or not, then we deserve to be punished, as hard as that may sound.

I agree that ignorance is not a defence and im not one for hiding my head in the sand(infact I enjoy how real most of your posts are), but the government have changed the rules and are chancing their luck with it. Why was it ok then but not now?

I agree that ignorance is not a defence and im not one for hiding my head in the sand(infact I enjoy how real most of your posts are), but the government have changed the rules and are chancing their luck with it. Why was it ok then but not now?

Im not really 100% sure what you mean. This case isnt about the government changing the rules or anything. This case is about how we used an EBT ?

The EBT scheme was legal if operated correctly. HMRC dont believe we did and we are contesting that opinion. (tu)

Im not really 100% sure what you mean. This case isnt about the government changing the rules or anything. This case is about how we used an EBT ?

The EBT scheme was legal if operated correctly. HMRC dont believe we did and we are contesting that opinion. (tu)

See I was under the impression that HMRC changed the rules on EBT's.

There is no pertinent argument to put. If what we done is found to be wrong then we shouldn't get any political favours at all.

Pay up or face the consequences. (tu)

But you are saying that the public would happily cut it's nose off to spite it's face in pursuit of a vague sense of justice. Let's say BP's actions were considered bad enough to shut them down (which they were), very few British citizens would be happy with that because the damage to the economy would be horrendous.

The level of wrongdoing Rangers are accused of isn't even remotely comparable to these environment destroying mega-corps with blood on their hands, so for Rangers to be exempt from insolvency on political grounds if far from infeasible.

The government are always striking deals with companies for the good of the public purse, especially in the current economic climate. So for a positive company like Rangers to escape with a wrap on the knuckles would be par for the course. However, this can only come about if the case becomes a political matter.

But you are saying that the public would happily cut it's nose off to spite it's face in pursuit of a vague sense of justice. Let's say BP's actions were considered bad enough to shut them down (which they were), very few British citizens would be happy with that because the damage to the economy would be horrendous.

The level of wrongdoing Rangers are accused of isn't even remotely comparable to these environment destroying mega-corps with blood on their hands, so for Rangers to be exempt from insolvency on political grounds if far from infeasible.

The government are always striking deals with companies for the good of the public purse, especially in the current economic climate. So for a positive company like Rangers to escape with a wrap on the knuckles would be par for the course. However, this can only come about if the case becomes a political matter.

Completely disagree.

Lets put it this way. If Sellic failed to pay £30m in taxes and the SNP stepped in and got them off with just a rap on the knuckles and they carried on as they were, there would be mass hysteria in Scottish Football and i would NEVER be near a football ground again in my entire life. (tu)

Just like every man, woman and business in the UK, if we got it wrong, then we either pay or deal with the consequences.