Did it ever say, "Aye Ready"

nemisis

From FF 2005

Aye Ready

By Blueforyou

Updated Tuesday, 18th January 2005

Views: 677

Rangers RSS Feed

A few myths are dispelled about the club motto.

My father and I had the pleasure of being in ex-player and goal scorer supreme Jim Forrest's company the other day,of which much was said about Rangers old and new.Must say,Forrest has many a tale to tell,some of which I'll keep for now.

Forrest,a great goal scorer of my Father's generation ( early to mid 1960s),still does hospitality work for Rangers and is a stalwart to this day.

Anyway,of note was Forrest still wearing the Rangers colours, tie, blazer et al and of course the subject of 'Aye Ready' or 'Ready' came up:

PS: 'I note your Rangers blazer with badge,was it 'Ready' when you were there?'

JF: 'It was.Ready then and Ready now.Ready was on the badge when I first signed at Rangers and it was on,when I got my first player's blazer '

PS: 'Do you remember what was on the side of the Main Stand though?'

JF: ' Well that was 'Aye Ready,yes I remember that.The club stuck with plain 'Ready' for the badge on the blazers though.Officially it was just 'Ready' and they stuck with that and later everybody knew it has just 'Ready'.

KS: ' I remember it on the Main Stand in the 50s and 60s,so you DID see it? Many now doubt it was painted there,especially on 'Follow Follow' ...(message board-a plug!) '

JF: 'Yes it was there,I saw it everyday.It got changed though about the time I was there,1964,65.Why?,well 'Ready' was being used on everything.Suppose it could have been 'Aye Ready',but somewhere somebody changed it & it became 'Ready'.

PS: 'Early pictures show it as 'Ready' on Bill Struth's blazer..'

JF: 'I think someone was to 'do' the badge and it 'became' 'Ready'.That just stuck.Still used now,so the club says it's 'Ready' as the official motto...'

Well,a former player,who played when many alledge 'Aye Ready' was on the Main Stand,including many I know of,also knew of it painted there too.He saw it everyday until it changed apparently in the mid-60s,as 'Ready' was more accessable to the club.It also had been used on the badge on the players clothing for some time.Of course,looks like it could have been 'Aye Ready' if the embroiderers had their way....Never used as 'official' though on anything issued by the club...(now I could differ,but I won't)

BLUEFORYOU

THE EDITOR OF “THE RANGERS HISTORIAN" REPLIES:-

“It was good to know that Jim Forrest (a near-neighbour of mine) confirmed what I knew to be fact.

“However one point should be emphasised - the wording on the blazer badges has no relevance to the club's official motto.

“Originally the motto was 'AYE WORK AWA', which was then changed to 'READY AYE READY', subsequently shortened to 'AYE READY' and finally in 1966 to 'READY'.

“The change in 1966 was explained as being a modernising move, but in fact it was so that the badge could be legally incorporated.

I” have explained all of this more than once on the 'FF messageboard and on various Rangers internet lists - must say I am mystified why the debate continues.

“Regards

“Robert McElroy”

Why should i even bother. I guess you attended zero games during said period so point proven, Farewell.

Sorry, mate.

You've proved nothing other than how stupid you are by entering into a debate you clearly know nothing about.

Then you call someone that's trying to educate you "clueless"

I've spoken to Club Historians as well as the Curator at the Hampden museum. I've been to the Mitchell Library on several occasions and spent weeks pouring over old photograph's on countless websites and Google images as well as Youtube footage.

My research leads only to one conclusion and that is that it has never said AYE READY on any of these crests at any time in our history.

Not one single photograph has ever been produced by those on the AYE READY side of the debate and there's a very good reason for that.......there isn't one.

Sorry, mate.

You've proved nothing other than how stupid you are by entering into a debate you clearly know nothing about.

Then you call someone that's trying to educate you "clueless"

I've spoken to Club Historians as well as the Curator at the Hampden museum. I've been to the Mitchell Library on several occasions and spent weeks pouring over old photograph's on countless websites and Google images as well as Youtube footage.

My research leads only to one conclusion and that is that it has never said AYE READY on any of these crests at any time in our history.

Not one single photograph has ever been produced by those on the AYE READY side of the debate and there's a very good reason for that.......there isn't one.

You are right i am stupid.

From FF 2005

Robert McElroy has let himself down badly here.

As a Club Historian he has a duty to set the record straight and refuses to do so because it would make him look rather foolish.

I've spoken to him on the phone and invited him to join the debate but he declined. Wonder why ?

David Mason will confirm that the crests have only ever said READY

Robert McElroy has let himself down badly here.

As a Club Historian he has a duty to set the record straight and refuses to do so because it would make him look rather foolish.

I've spoken to him on the phone and invited him to join the debate but he declined. Wonder why ?

David Mason will confirm that the crests have only ever said READY

That sadly doesn't surprise me RDB

Many thanks for that RDB much appreciated.

You're welcome mate.

The thread on the "other forum" seems to have been wiped which is a shame as some posters had provided great photographs and youtube footage clearly showing READY on the crests on the Main Stand from various decades.

For reasons known only to the confirmed bachelor that runs the other forum I received a lifetime ban so I'm unable to produce them on here.

You're welcome mate.

The thread on the "other forum" seems to have been wiped which is a shame as some posters had provided great photographs and youtube footage clearly showing READY on the crests on the Main Stand from various decades.

For reasons known only to the confirmed bachelor that runs the other forum I received a lifetime ban so I'm unable to produce them on here.

No its still there RDB thats how I found the pics - I used the search feature

Thanks for that mate.

Unfortunately I don't have a log-in now so can't access it.

Don't know if you'll be able to find the youtube clip which actually zooms in on the crest at the Rangers end in 1969 and clearly shows the word READY ?

Is that on the thread ?

Is that on the thread ?

Yes.

It's the clearest evidence ever produced in the entire debate.

Number_Eight then claimed it was the 'early' sixties' when he saw 'AYE READY' but was promptly handed his own arse when the Third Lanark pic was posted dating from 1961/62.

Yes.

It's the clearest evidence ever produced in the entire debate.

Number_Eight then claimed it was the 'early' sixties' when he saw 'AYE READY' but was promptly handed his own arse when the Third Lanark pic was posted dating from 1961/62.

I think someone else posted them elsewhere. I did pm you a link.