Captain needed?

Bluemadras

I am fairly knew on this site so hope this works! With Davis being ineffective and IMO (just worked what the f€$k that meant today :-) ) not Rangers captain matieral does anyone feel we have a captain in the squad at present and if not who could/should bring in?

Any successful Rangers team (every other team too) has always had a strong captain who has led his troops on the field through either leading by example, encouraging, moaning (fergie...) or all of the previous. I don't think Davis can do this for us consistently and see anyone else stepping up to the mark. Looking back Greig, Butcher ,Gough, Fergie and Weir - just some examples - there are many more. I associate any great Teddies team with a great captain but can't see it in the team at the minute - would giving Boca or Goian a chance take the pressure off Davis and let him play or knock his confidence even more. Just thought I'd get that off my chest as it's been keeping me awake!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Boca or Shagger would make good captains but in stripping Davis of captaincy i think his confidence would drop and so would his performances.

His performances havent been up to the standards he has set for himself,but hopefully monday was the start of a rich vein of form for Steven.

Have to agree that either Shagger or Captain America should step up! Boca my preferred choice as like my captain to be an outfield player but understand why Shagger would be in the frame. I still rate Davis but, as you are all aware, he drifts in and out to much - that surely must influence the team as a whole?

I would say Boca or Shagger would make good captains but in stripping Davis of captaincy i think his confidence would drop and so would his performances.

His performances havent been up to the standards he has set for himself,but hopefully monday was the start of a rich vein of form for Steven.

That's the danger. Its a kick in the stones for him. I'm more in favour of an outfield player getting the armband, but I think McGregor has a better understanding of what's required to be The Rangers captain. He already gives the defence a boot up the arse when needed and is always the one egging on the team if we need a goal. Bocanegra leads by example, canni argue with his captaining experience though.

Have to agree that either Shagger or Captain America should step up! Boca my preferred choice as like my captain to be an outfield player but understand why Shagger would be in the frame. I still rate Davis but, as you are all aware, he drifts in and out to much - that surely must influence the team as a whole?

tbh, he's that much not a captain it wouldn't really have much effect in my opinion.

his performances yeah for sure affect the whole team - just because he's been an important player for us. but his leadership qualities are so non-existant him drifting out the match wouldn't stifle them enough to warrant recognition.

the only thing i can think of, is ally made davis the captain KNOWING he wouldn't have much of an impact - so that mccoist could have more of a say himself. look at the problems there was between le guen and ferguson, perhaps mccoist didn't want any player influence, perhaps he wanted all of the control himself?

i dont know, it even sounds weird to me, but it's the only thing i can think of.

Shagger wouldn't last long as captain. He's due a bit of off-field madness around about now that the media will jump all over. :lol: .

Bocanegra would be a great captain, however, I'm not convinced stripping Davis of the armband at this point of the season is plausible.

No. What makes him the golden child, and to whom?

The guy fans dare not criticise, the player who will never be dropped, Rangers captain and the best player in Scotland, or so we are told........to the boss, most fans starved of quality for so long and probably some people within the club.

He is a decent midfielder, vastly over-rated by most people, especially on here.

the only thing i can think of, is ally made davis the captain KNOWING he wouldn't have much of an impact - so that mccoist could have more of a say himself. look at the problems there was between le guen and ferguson, perhaps mccoist didn't want any player influence, perhaps he wanted all of the control himself?

i dont know, it even sounds weird to me, but it's the only thing i can think of.

Fucking hell. That DOES sound weird.

Did you actually read it before you posted it?

The guy fans dare not criticise, the player who will never be dropped, Rangers captain and the best player in Scotland, or so we are told........to the boss, most fans starved of quality for so long and probably some people within the club.

He is a decent midfielder, vastly over-rated by most people, especially on here.

What do you mean "fans dare not criticise"?

He's being criticised on this thread.

So, what is it that makes him "the Golden Child"? You're not explaining it very well.

Have to say, i was lambasted for suggesting that we dont give Davis an improved contract in the summer until he proved to us over 6 months he was "up to the task"

I was called everything and laughed at. Mocked by all and sundry.

Davo was superb from March to May last season. Different class in fact. But it was 2 months and 2 months alone.

We dont need someone who can only play 2 months a fecking season.

Lets hope he keeps up Saturdays performance from now to May. (tu)

Fucking hell. That DOES sound weird.

Did you actually read it before you posted it?

hahaha i couldn't bring myself to! :lol:

i just remember le guen downplaying the captaincy role, and i could understand how having a rougue element working against you would prompt you to eliminate that particular influence.

so yeah, that kind of thing doesn't exist at rangers at the moment so i guess that train of thought was irrelevent. oh come on it's after 1am!

What do you mean "fans dare not criticise"?

He's being criticised on this thread.

So, what is it that makes him "the Golden Child"? You're not explaining it very well.

Only recently after 6 months of hiding and it needed someone to set the ball rolling. ;)

I just told you. Its pretty clear.