100 Not Out

100 Not Out

0,,5%7E10025788,00.jpg

THERE are certain players at certain times that tend to get the brunt of supporters' frustrations when things are not going well.

In recent years Charlie Adam used to get it while Alan Hutton was another who suffered the wrath of some fans who were looking for a scapegoat.

Both of these men have done rather well for themselves and I'm sure the howls of derision they suffered at Ibrox are but distant memories.

Indeed even the current manager was not exempt from the boo boys when he was a couple of seasons in to his Rangers career.

Yes the man who went on to score a club record tally of 355 goals and break virtually all other scoring feats available was told to "go away" in no uncertain terms by a section of the Copland Road during a Scottish Cup tie against Dundee on February 16, 1985.

Hard to believe isn't it? However, it remains a fact that McCoist got the blame as Rangers were eliminated.

It doesn't really matter too much how hard you try or how good you are, some players just seem to attract criticism.

Of the current squad there seems little doubt that the man who has suffered most is Maurice Edu.

There were times last season when even going near the ball seemed to invite screams from the stands.

In fairness - and Mo was quite open about this - he was not playing at his best.

For some reason the main attributes which make him such a great team player were lacking at times but he persevered and tried his damnedest to play his part.

Edu battled on and recovered to play his part in the extraordinary climax to last season when Rangers clinched their third successive championship in succession.

Now the Californian has rediscovered his form and has been as responsible as anyone for Rangers' superb run this season.

He has become the enforcer in midfield where his athleticism prevails in the hectic world of the SPL.

Edu is winning tackles that others can only hope to win and this unsung work has been a godsend.

He has phenomenal energy to get from box to box and he proved at Dunfermline that he can still contribute on the goals front with a superb left foot strike.

Edu celebrated his 100th appearance for Rangers in the 3-1 win over Dundee United which is undoubtedly a major milestone considering he had major knee damage in 2009.

Maybe the arrival of fellow countrymen and international team-mates Carlos Bocanegra and Alejandro Bedoya has contributed to his revival but whatever it is Rangers are benefitting.

(got this from Rangers web ) I honestly didny think Edu had played that amount of games for us

Mo Edu wouldn't have got into the midfield of most Rangers teams, until now.

Unless he's going to transform himself into a player who can perform week in, week out, at a higher standard, he's always going to get criticism.

I think that Mo still doesn't get what real Rangers midfield legends were capable of, compared to what he does.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again...Edu is brilliant, when you ask him not to play football. When his instructions are to simply hound opposition players, win the ball and move it 5 yards left or right he's very effective. Its when we start asking him to dictate play or be creative that his overall game suffers completely.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again...Edu is brilliant, when you ask him not to play football. When his instructions are to simply hound opposition players, win the ball and move it 5 yards left or right he's very effective. Its when we start asking him to dictate play or be creative that his overall game suffers completely.

Just about the most damning critique that I've seen of Edu's ability yet.