Anyone know of the quickest way of learning website creation

Jack The Flipper

I have bought a domain already, and have been asked to make a website for a service for someone. I have also signed up to free hosting site and have configured the server.

I have made a site before, but tbh i only used a template and worked from that.

I want to understand more of what I'm doing and make something from scratch.

Expression web is what i'm used to using and it seems pretty simple so seems the best way to go.

I don't need flash or anything like that, just a simple site which lists services provided, contact details and about what the person is wanting to do.

I would have paid someone else to do it, but neither I or the service provider have any money yet.

Does anyone know of any good online articles, tutorials or even books which would be informative and help me out?

e28fad6d85c84c82ee39a849aa484b1c.jpeg

David A. Crowder - Building a Web Site For Dummies (4th Edition)

F-.r D-mm-s | ISBN: 0470560932 | 2010-06-21 | PDF | 360 pages | 9.27 Mb

The bestselling guide to building a knockout Web site, newly updated

An effective Web site is the key to success for every venture from class reunions to major corporations. And since Web technology changes rapidly, Building a Web Site For Dummies, 4th Edition is fully updated for the cutting-edge tools and trends.

If you need to build and maintain a Web site, even if your experience is severely limited, this book makes it easy and fun. You'll learn to plan, design, create, launch, and maintain your site using the most up-to-date tools.

Building a Web Site For Dummies, 4th Edition is the tool every first-time Web designer needs to build a professional-looking site.

- A quality Web presence is essential in today's marketplace, and many individuals charged with creating one are unaware of the challenges

- This guide gives novice Web designers the tools and know-how to plan, design, and build effective Web sites

- Provides a nuts-and-bolts guide to site-building, including coverage of HTML, WYSIWYG construction software, CSS, and navigation plans

- Shows how to spruce up your site with topnotch graphics, video, and great content

- Guides you through getting your site online, promoting it, and even making money from it

Cough

I've managed to build a decent looking website. I am hosted on free hostia, but I'm kinda annoyed as the site sometimes doesn't come up. Right now, the site works perfectly on one of my computers and doesn't come up at all on the other.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Both computers are running firefox.

Have you ever heard of this happening?

Ok, so I registerd a domain with 123-reg. I change nameservers correctly & eventually my root page changes from the 123-reg page to a free hostia one. After a few hours this disappears completely.

I go into whois, and find my domain I registered two days ago for a year is now available. I contact the registrar and they apologise, ask for my information again and after a few hours it is registered to me for a year.

I confirm everything I've done is correct not long after, as my site is up and running well. It's listed in google etc. I then find after 2 days a server not found error when I try to get to my homepage.

I look in whois and the domain is up for grabs again. That's where I am at the moment, complained to 123-reg and still haven't received anything back from them.

WTF????

Have you ever heard of this happening?

Ok, so I registerd a domain with 123-reg. I change nameservers correctly & eventually my root page changes from the 123-reg page to a free hostia one. After a few hours this disappears completely.

I go into whois, and find my domain I registered two days ago for a year is now available. I contact the registrar and they apologise, ask for my information again and after a few hours it is registered to me for a year.

I confirm everything I've done is correct not long after, as my site is up and running well. It's listed in google etc. I then find after 2 days a server not found error when I try to get to my homepage.

I look in whois and the domain is up for grabs again. That's where I am at the moment, complained to 123-reg and still haven't received anything back from them.

WTF????

I'm a web developer and have never heard of this happening before. 123-reg are normally quite reliable too. Probs just a rare glitch or temperamental peculiarity. Unless your card has been charged you could could try buying from www.gandi.net. It's unlikely two registrars would be affected by the same issue.

I'm a web developer and have never heard of this happening before. 123-reg are normally quite reliable too. Probs just a rare glitch or temperamental peculiarity. Unless your card has been charged you could could try buying from www.gandi.net. It's unlikely two registrars would be affected by the same issue.

Cheers bud, i'm going to have to go ahead and cancel my contract with 123-reg. It's just happened again, even the guys i'm hosted with cant understand what's going on.

Thanks a lot guys, that helped!

I re-registered the domain and am having zero problems with it.

The code is a complete mess, but the girl was just wanting a basic site, and since i did it for her for nothing she's very pleased.

All i've to do is build the about page, then i'll clean up the code when i learn more about it.

I'm happy with the result, thanks again!

A link to have a peak at the site for those who helped me out!