Would you let Greegs take the penaltys ?

Wish I never even mentioned anything about Messi now it was an off the cuff comment at the end of the day Ricky what you said was pure turd!

1 minute your telling me to grow up & stop being so childish for givin' you a bit stick of a spelling error (i almsot never point out spelling/grammar erros online, i make bucket loads myself, but i couldn't help myself with that 1 :P), and then the next minute you go and tell me im talking 'pure turd'.

either way, i'm not looking to get into petty arguements with fellow gers fans.

my opinion is that the best striker or attacker on the pitch will most likely be the best finisher. A striker will want to take the penalties, he should be the natural goal scorer at the club. So in my opinion, it was embarassing to see a 10million pound striker like Jelavic, the best player in the SPL by a fair distance, step aside to allow a guy like Steven Whittaker hit the penalties. (and if im not mistaken, after Whittaker blazed that 1 over vs Hibs, Ally agreed and Jelavic became penalty taker).

Lafferty is our best front man now, in my opinion it would seriously undermine him if the fuckin goalkeeper was judged to be a better penalty taker than Laff.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

as for Whittaker, it was embarassing, i remember a home game to Hibs at the start of the season. The best player & striker to have played in the SPL in years, Jelavic, has to step aside to watch a guy like Steven Whittaker thump the ball over the bar.

Was it embarassing when Jelavic missed one at Inverness?

Letting non-strikers take penalties is embarrassing? :lol:

I bet the whole of Germany cringed when Andreas Brehme dared to score a penalty in the world cup final.

pick out 1-off examples all you like, it shows an lack of understanding towards a general, across the board opinion.

i'd imagine youve probably never played as a striker either. What do you think a teams start striker and top goalscorer would think if he was told to step aside on penalty duty for a left-back?

do you not find it embarassing that our goalkeeper felt the outfield players were so incapable of scoring a goal from 12 yards out he was putting himself forward?

pick out 1-off examples all you like, it shows an lack of understanding towards a general, across the board opinion.

i'd imagine youve probably never played as a striker either. What do you think a teams start striker and top goalscorer would think if he was told to step aside on penalty duty for a left-back?

do you not find it embarassing that our goalkeeper felt the outfield players were so incapable of scoring a goal from 12 yards out he was putting himself forward?

Mols, Shota, Cannigia ect never had a problem with Barry doing it.

;)

If you want to talk about a lack of understanding, ponder this: a striker's main asset is his instinct, not his ball-striking. You don't need a striking instinct to take a penalty. You need technique. If another member of the team is better at taking penalties, getting a striker to do it anyway as a matter of principle is laughable.

I think if a team's star striker and top goalscorer felt bad about being asked to step aside for a left-back, when the left-back was a better penalty taker, then the star striker should practice his penalties and stop being so sensitive. Perhaps he should value the team above his own ego.

Your last question is a different discussion altogether, and pertinent to our squad in particular, rather than the idea of non-strikers taking penalties in general.

If you want to talk about a lack of understanding, ponder this: a striker's main asset is his instinct, not his ball-striking. You don't need a striking instinct to take a penalty. You need technique. If another member of the team is better at taking penalties, getting a striker to do it anyway as a matter of principle is laughable.

I think if a team's star striker and top goalscorer felt bad about being asked to step aside for a left-back, when the left-back was a better penalty taker, then the star striker should practice his penalties and stop being so sensitive. Perhaps he should value the team above his own ego.

Your last question is a different discussion altogether, and pertinent to our squad in particular, rather than the idea of non-strikers taking penalties in general.

main asset is his instinct? says who? is this fact or merely your opinion?

i hope your not goign to argue this as a matter of fact. So if it's your opinion, then fair enough, but i disagree.

the skills you need to be a striker are the same of that of a penalty taker. Confidence, striking tehcnique, composure, finishing, the ability to beat the keeper, find the corners, shot power, placement.

i wasnt really speaking from the point of view fo the strikers ego either, but then again, a good striker should have the desire to score as many goals as possible, and it's not healthy for him to simply step aside, id ratehr see a striker with the desire to hit every penalty, even if he missed last time out.

you never answered my question either.

would you not find it embarassing that our goalkeeper has such little faith in his 10 outfield players to score from 12 yards that he wanted to hit the penalty hismelf?

how do you know, they tell you over a cold beer?

serious question, where you happy at Jelavic stepping aside for Steven whittaker?

I wish!

Seeing them smiling and chasing Bazza to celebrate with him tells me they were happy enough with him taking them (and scoring most of them).

Not really but only because I had Jelly as top goalscorer and wanted him to outscore those taigs.

I wish!

Seeing them smiling and chasing Bazza to celebrate with him tells me they were happy enough with him taking them (and scoring most of them).

Not really but only because I had Jelly as top goalscorer and wanted him to outscore those taigs.

surely thats not the only reason.

you would rather that if a player is clean through on goal it was jelavic and not Whittaker, because he has all the attributes. Hes a superior player, a better finisher, technically better, more composure, he was more consistant.

with Ferguson, perhaps it would be an exception, he was the ebst player in the team and probably the best technically. but if he was playing in the same team as a prime McCoist, surely it would have to be McCoist.

like i said, ideally, you will have a striker in your team thats unquestionably the best goalscorer at the club, & the penalty taker.

someone earlier mentioned roberto carlos - it's a pretty good example, his technique in striking the ball is something else, and even though he was a left back, he probably could have played as a striker if he wanted too. If he played for Rangers he'd be the penalty taker, given the quality he'd be up against for the honours - but, in the brazilian & Madrid sides he played it, he wouldnt even get a look in - hed be lucky to be 5th in line.

main asset is his instinct? says who? is this fact or merely your opinion?

i hope your not goign to argue this as a matter of fact. So if it's your opinion, then fair enough, but i disagree.

the skills you need to be a striker are the same of that of a penalty taker. Confidence, striking tehcnique, composure, finishing, the ability to beat the keeper, find the corners, shot power, placement.

i wasnt really speaking from the point of view fo the strikers ego either, but then again, a good striker should have the desire to score as many goals as possible, and it's not healthy for him to simply step aside, id ratehr see a striker with the desire to hit every penalty, even if he missed last time out.

you never answered my question either.

would you not find it embarassing that our goalkeeper has such little faith in his 10 outfield players to score from 12 yards that he wanted to hit the penalty hismelf?

Did I say ONLY asset? The difference between a top striker and a non-striker who has every other skill that you mentioned is his ability to put the ball in the goal more often from open play. This is self-evident. If you have two players, both of whom have identical technique, composure, finishing, ability to beat the keeper, find the corners, shot power and placement, but one of them for all his abilities simply doesn't have a killer instinct, you're going to choose the other one to be your striker. Do you deny this?

I didn't answer your question because it's not valid to the discussion we are having. Your question is pertinent to Rangers specifically, not the concept of non-strikers taking a penalty. If you simply must know though, no, I don't find it remotely embarrassing for a non-striker to take a penalty but yes, I do find it slightly worrying that McGregor thought it was down to him.

You'd rather see a striker with the desire to take penalties. Good for you. I'd rather see the penalty scored, whoever takes it.

Did I say ONLY asset? The difference between a top striker and a non-striker who has every other skill that you mentioned is his ability to put the ball in the goal more often from open play. This is self-evident. If you have two players, both of whom have identical technique, composure, finishing, ability to beat the keeper, find the corners, shot power and placement, but one of them for all his abilities simply doesn't have a killer instinct, you're going to choose the other one to be your striker. Do you deny this?

I didn't answer your question because it's not valid to the discussion we are having. Your question is pertinent to Rangers specifically, not the concept of non-strikers taking a penalty. If you simply must know though, no, I don't find it remotely embarrassing for a non-striker to take a penalty but yes, I do find it slightly worrying that McGregor thought it was down to him.

You'd rather see a striker with the desire to take penalties. Good for you. I'd rather see the penalty scored, whoever takes it.

did accuse you of saying it was the only asset? you said it was the main asset. i disagree, there is no 'main asset' there has to be a collective ability of the necessarry skills.

i dont understand your question about 1 guy with a killer instinct?

anyway, i'm done, im not forcing anyone to agree with my opinion, i won't change my ideology on strikers & penalty takers, and you probably won't change yours.

this whole topics a bit of a waste of time anyway - theres no chance McGregor will be hitting penalties and im sure the majority agree he shouldnt be. Lafferty is the man for them imo, for reasons stated.

surely thats not the only reason.

you would rather that if a player is clean through on goal it was jelavic and not Whittaker, because he has all the attributes. Hes a superior player, a better finisher, technically better, more composure, he was more consistant.

with Ferguson, perhaps it would be an exception, he was the ebst player in the team and probably the best technically. but if he was playing in the same team as a prime McCoist, surely it would have to be McCoist.

like i said, ideally, you will have a striker in your team thats unquestionably the best goalscorer at the club, & the penalty taker.

someone earlier mentioned roberto carlos - it's a pretty good example, his technique in striking the ball is something else, and even though he was a left back, he probably could have played as a striker if he wanted too. If he played for Rangers he'd be the penalty taker, given the quality he'd be up against for the honours - but, in the brazilian & Madrid sides he played it, he wouldnt even get a look in - hed be lucky to be 5th in line.

Maybe but I think De Boer, Mols and a few others were above Barry in the technique department. Some top strikers do not take spot kicks as I have said before I think it’s more about mental strength than anything else.

On the Whittaker thing being through on goal I disagree, I was never confident when Jelavic went clean through on goal as when he had to think about and place a finish he often fluffed it..He was far more effective when it was an instinct shot where he didn’t have time. While Whittaker has many faults his finishing is not really one of them, he has great composure for a right back and his goals in the last few years have shown this.

I don't know what the complaint is about Steven Whittaker taking penalties. Until Dundee United (a game in which he also scored TWO penalties) he had never missed. He then missed one against Hibs this season. He's scored penalties in high pressure shoot-outs like Fiorentina and vs St Johnstone. I had no problems with him taking a penalty ahead of Nikica Jelavic.

If a player is confident enough to take a penalty and is good enough then they should be taking them. Regardless of position. If there was nobody better than McGregor in the squad at penalty taking, then why not?

I don't even think he has a lack of confidence in our players to take one, he mentioned Sone was unlucky and also that McCullochs was just a cracking save.