First Tier Tax Tribunals

Has anyone been able to determine if ours is taking way longer than normal to reach a decision? The longer this takes, the more I'm convinced these 'independent' judges don't have enough evidence to shaft us and are sitting back waiting and watching to see what the media frenzy uncovers.Surely there's a timescale ?

Has anyone been able to determine if ours is taking way longer than normal to reach a decision? The longer this takes, the more I'm convinced these 'independent' judges don't have enough evidence to shaft us and are sitting back waiting and watching to see what the media frenzy uncovers.Surely there's a timescale ?

Timescale is normaql 3-6 months waiting on the judgement after the hearing is also normal

I was advised by guy my bboss knows that works with HMRC that it usually in normal circumstances takes maximum of eight weeks??

Been involved in 3. 2 dragged on for months while we negotiated in the background - on the other one we had a judgement in 5 days - No hard and fast rules I am afraid.

Regardless of how long these things take, the announcement of the decision has been classed as 'imminent' going back to the pre-Shyte days.

They are either inept or somebody's at it.

What I'd really like clarity on is whether the effect of the decision is gonna be covered by the pending CVA agreement. My auld ticker couldn't stand us crawling out of the current mess just to be kicked back into it if we get slapped with another enormous tax bill.

Why's it called first tier? Is there/can there be a second tier for us?

i think, and i could be wrong, that weve been through a third and second tier tribunal already and this is as high as it goes (tu)

Why's it called first tier? Is there/can there be a second tier for us?

There is a second tier (upper tribunal) to which we can appeal but only if the tribunal has made an error in law, noy just because we disagree with the outcome.

Regardless of how long these things take, the announcement of the decision has been classed as 'imminent' going back to the pre-Shyte days.

They are either inept or somebody's at it.

What I'd really like clarity on is whether the effect of the decision is gonna be covered by the pending CVA agreement. My auld ticker couldn't stand us crawling out of the current mess just to be kicked back into it if we get slapped with another enormous tax bill.

They have pretty much agreed to bundle in all the tax issues with any cva how ever large the fines, etc, if we're found guilty.

So we owe £100 million, we agree 10p in the £, wee owe £10 million to hmrc and the case is sorted.

Also these figures are quite plausible.

If the FTT is looking at the question 'should tax have been paid or not' then the decision should be made irrespective of what is going on re takeovers, administration, newco or takeover.

Can not see the reason for the decision not being communicated. If fact shouldn't D&P and/or the club be demanding that?

It is taking way longer than usual. I think that means it is a close call and they can't make their minds up either way.

This is an appeal against a tax bill which Rangers says is incorrect, not a prosecution for tax evasion. That means that it is up to Rangers to produce the evidence to prove that the tax bill was wrong rather than the other way round as it would be with a criminal case. That means the judges aren't quite sure that the evidence produced by Rangers is good enough.

I wish folks would stop coming out with the 'guilty' or 'not guilty' nonsense.

We are not gonna be found 'guilty' or 'not guilty' in this.

As one or two have pointed out it is an assessment of a tax bill which we may or may not be liable for at the end of it all.

Had a 'discussion' with a Hibbe workmate today. His words "If the verdict is not guilty, then the panel are corrupt and there's something dodgy about it!" Guy is normally sound too, but he's slaving at the prospect of us going under!

The verdict will not be guilty or not guilty. It isn't a criminal trail. It will be "appeal allowed" (we don't have to pay the tax) or "appeal refused" (we do), or much more likely "appeal allowed in part" (we have to pay something, but not all the money they are asking for).

The verdict will not be guilty or not guilty. It isn't a criminal trail. It will be "appeal allowed" (we don't have to pay the tax) or "appeal refused" (we do), or much more likely "appeal allowed in part" (we have to pay something, but not all the money they are asking for).

I suppose in that respect the guy was right, if the verdict is "not guilty" something dodgy has gone on given it is not a possible verdict! Not that that was the point the hoor/poof/junkie (*delete as appropriate) was meaning when he opened his mouth!

What will be happening is that rangers and the taxman have asked for a postponement on judgement awaiting a negotiated settlement as part of the Cva and if we get the Cva tax case dropped on no fault no harm basis ( ie hmrc can go after some other poor bigger and we move forward)