SPL Average Attendances

MrSifter

Taking the Earl Haigs out the equation, how do we think each Club would be impacted purely on a "at the gate" basis?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats/attendance/_/league/sco.1/scottish-premier-league?cc=5739#

Four clubs out of ten with an average attendance of under 4,800.

Six clubs out of ten with an average attendance of under 5,947.

Nine Clubs out of ten with an average attendance of under 9,910.

This really doesn't look like a healthy state of affairs.

If they are desperate to see the back of Rangers I hope they are prepared for desperate crowds. The bheggars will suffer most I think.

I'd love to know the Shettleston's true attendance figures last season in games not involving us.

They don't need Rangers to survive but I suspect in the short term without us their crowds would be sub 30,000 and ticket prices would be through the floor. Outside of a hardcore group of circa 15,000, one thing they are not is loyal.

Taking the Earl Haigs out the equation, how do we think each Club would be impacted purely on a "at the gate" basis?

I'd expect every diddy club to lose at the gate except, perhaps, the slightly bigger diddy clubs most likely to offer a genuine challenge for the glory of second place.

Sky will be gone, many other sponsorships, too.

And that will be enough for some of the smaller diddies to fail. Perhaps we'll see Partick Thistle, Hamilton and Falkirk 'gracing' the SPL again over the next few years.

What a competition that'll be...

It won't be a competitive league either, which you'd image would be less appealing. At least it was a one and a half horse race before.

True enough. I mean without us and the tims, it would almost certainly revert to an semi amateur status but some clubs like Hibs & Hearts might increase their crowds in that scenario by a small amount but with the tims looking to romp it every season they can't even pretend its an interesting product. Mind you, this is a league where teams start out aiming to finish 3rd which basically just sums up why its so shite.

The tarriers were playing to crowds of less than 30000 week after week and calling for demolished tenement teethes head when we were top of the league......,benefits only get you into games for so long they will suffer and il be fukking loving it....

I suspect on gate money alone most clubs would be circa £250,000 worse off. Not a fatal blow but not one I think would be made up by "new fans" flocking to see a more competitive league.

When you consider other issues like catering, TV money and general sponsorship that's where it gets more interesting. I believe (and I could be wrong) at the other clubs the average weekly wage is around £1,500 per week. If we assume all will be at least £1M worse off then that's about 12 player's wages per club.

Most clubs have cut to the bone in recent years so I'm not sure where else they could streamline.

Thing is.. the league will just get worse year on year until the likes of Hearts,Sheep etc. are on a par with the scum. I really hope we go the div 3 route since we are out of Europe for 3 years anyway. A 25 pt SPL deduction for the NewCo would be a disgrace..but hey... who'd be surprised?

If this year was tainted.. how about next year? Assuming they win.

I suspect on gate money alone most clubs would be circa £250,000 worse off. Not a fatal blow but not one I think would be made up by "new fans" flocking to see a more competitive league.

When you consider other issues like catering, TV money and general sponsorship that's where it gets more interesting. I believe (and I could be wrong) at the other clubs the average weekly wage is around £1,500 per week. If you we assume all will be at least £1M worse off then that's about 12 player's wages per club.

Most clubs have cut to the bone in recent years so I'm not sure where else they could streamline.

True mate.. not to mention local economies. Pubs, Hotels etc... Having 5,000 people visit twice per year is massive for them...

True enough. I mean without us and the tims, it would almost certainly revert to an semi amateur status but some clubs like Hibs & Hearts might increase their crowds in that scenario by a small amount but with the tims looking to romp it every season they can't even pretend its an interesting product. Mind you, this is a league where teams start out aiming to finish 3rd which basically just sums up why its so shite.

Hibs will be made up almost entirely of Irish League players and Hearts will be in Administration before the season is out.

Hibs will be made up almost entirely of Irish League players and Hearts will be in Administration before the season is out.

Very true and they won't be the only ones. The SPL clubs seem to live in some kind of cloud cuckoo land where they must think crowds that have been falling for years will suddenly come rushing back to see their pish.

The players they compete for will degrade in quality. I found this on another site -

Re: Lower league salary - Posted 18th January, 2011

I'm a non-league footballer at Eastbourne Borough in the Blue Square Premier (That was LAST season). We are one of only 2 clubs in that league not to be full time! Even though it is a non-professional league, all but a few of the players that I know at EB live entirely off their football income, which ranges from around £250 a week for players graduating from the reserves and youth, to around £700 as a top earner, plenty to live off. As we only train 2 evenings a week presently, there is plenty of time for the players to have other jobs, and there are definitely a few who fill their spare time labouring, building, plastering and the like to supplement their income!

Re: Lower league salary - Posted 31st October, 2011 (This Season)

On average League 2 players get £49,600 a year.

I'm sure Killie and St Johnstone will still be able to compete with the likes of Eastbourne Borough for the best players in such divisions.

The players they compete for will degrade in quality. I found this on another site -

I'm sure Killie and St Johnstone will still be able to compete with the lies of Eastbourne Borough for the best players in such divisions.

I used to work with an ex St Mirren centre forward and he told me he earned more playing for Crawley Town than he did at St Mirren. This was a few years ago and he had played for St Mirren in the Scottish top flight.

The other clubs may vote to expel us and that is their prerogative. Scottish football is on an unstoppable downward trajectory regardless so this may force a realigning earlier than expected.