QoS game

Blue63

As a expat of my native Scotland I sat down last night to watch the football on BBC Alba, I was nervous but excited to see The Rangers or The Glasgow Rangers whatever they are called now, which in all honesty is of little relevance as the will always be “The Teddy Bears” from my time’s in the stands with my uncles during my infancy and formative years.

The game kicks off and suddenly I’m aware of no shirt names, no familiar faces and a style of play that doesn’t resemble the games of my memories, the players look too young, too nervous and as the game progresses I know that this is going to be a far tougher game than I had ever expected and that there is every chance that we will lose the game.

One hundred and twenty minutes plus twelve and it’s all over, I take a swig of beer and realise that I’m not angry with the team, the manager or even a shabby refereeing performance, but sad, so sad that a tear falls from my eye and runs down my cheek and I think to myself they have really done a number on the Bears. It will be a long and torturous road before the team I’ve followed for more decades than I care to remember is back in its rightful place.

Will I give up on them? Never, and I’m minded of the story from primary school of Robert the Bruce and the spider and suddenly I feel better, so “if at first you don’t succeed, then try try and try again”. The memories come flooding back, Davy Cooper’s style on the wing, Gazza’s exploits against the hoops and ultimately John Greig holding the European Cup Winners Cup in 72.

So Mr Lawell, Mr Regan, Mr Doncaster and whoever else do your worse, but be minded we will be back, bigger, better, stronger and ready to heap defeat on all before us, so enjoy your dog day in the sun. I/we know what’s really going on and what goes around comes around.

WATP