Should we keep a team in 3rd Div?

bs1982

The most enjoyable thing so far this season for me has been the emergence of young players like Macleod and McKay, putting in performances that have often overshadowed that of their more established and senior team-mates. They have provided some much needed optimism for the future at the lowest point in our history but it is only actually because we are at rock bottom that they were given the opportunity in the first place. It would be naïve to think they would have played yet if we were in the SPL and had kept the majority of our squad from last season.

With the lack of money in Scottish football the only sustainable model for us to progress is through youth development. The young players at our club this season have been given the greatest chance ever to establish themselves as first team players but in a few years time will the next batch of kids receive a similar opportunity? Probably not in all honesty as we will return to our old ways as we progress through the leagues. This cannot be allowed so I think now is the perfect time to set up a system where our youth will continuously get the same chances that have occurred this year!

With all the talk of league reconstruction now seemingly inevitable in one guise or another I think we should propose keeping a team, Rangers B or such, in the lower leagues even after we return to the top league (whatever it may be called at the time).

We are currently enjoying a good relationship with the SFL and their clubs have seen record crowds and been given a huge financial boost by our massive support. We should take advantage of the current goodwill amongst our “new friends” and ask for a Rangers B team to play in the 3rd Div next season which would be mutually beneficial for all parties.

Youngsters would be able to get much needed game time from a young age and gain experience of playing in competitive games without as much pressure as they would in the first team where the boo boys in the crowd get on their back after one bad game. It is a format that works well in other countries – notably Spain where almost all of their World Cup winning squad started off in Barca B or Real B teams.

SFL clubs would benefit from having far bigger crowds than normal and increased interest and possible sponsorship within the league. Crowds for B team away games would not be as big as for the first team this season but several thousand would still turn up to watch especially as many of our fans will never return to the homes of our enemies in the SPL so they can still enjoy an away day this way. If a B team are unable to gain promotion we would not be a threat to their own ambitions either like we are this season.

Aside from our youngsters gaining experience if we started a B team, our coaching staff could also learn their trade at a less demanding level. There is much debate (and I don’t want to add to that here!) about Ally being inexperienced as a manager when he took over from Walter but if we had a B team any prospective future managers could take over that team first and prove themselves. This “apprenticeship” served Guardiola well when he transitioned from Barca B to the first team.

This is something I believe should have happened years ago to benefit not just Rangers but also Scottish football on the whole. Now is the ideal time however with the goodwill of the SFL so I think it is imperative that this is included in any reconstruction talks. What does everyone else think of idea of having Rangers B team in the lower leagues in the future?

It would be great tbh! I really think scraping the reserve league way back was a terrible idea, it gave our players coming back from injury some competitive game play to get involved in until fully fit and gave our over 19's a competitive platform to show their talent.

A competitve b team in div 3/2 would do wonders for our game.

I think the idea of another team is a good idea and would negate the need for sending players our on loan where we have less control over what happens to them. Players develop at different rates both physically and technically and hopefully this would help giving players the time and perhaps generating additional revenue to fund the youth programme.

I wonder though whether it would be possible to investigate the possiblity of introducing a team to the english leagues which would negate any conflict of interest and in long term provide an avenue for entrance to the championship and epl when could then use our team in scotland as a development side.