Edit: Problem fixed.

LeeWallaceRFC

Was flicking through the installed themes, one of them was classic and as soon as I tried to preview it, my computer completely froze. Wouldn't do anything at all and in the end, just left it till the battery died.

Put it back on, and it went through some check disk and said it had to check the consistency. Ever since that, it's been running slow as anything. Noticed 'RtVOsd.exe' was using an unusually high amount of CPU. Googled it and apparently it's a realtek file, deals with volume levels etc. But, somewhere said some viruses can hide themselves inside it, so as you'd expect I ran virus checks etc but it found nothing. Still running incredibly slow though, so I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be?

Haven't tried restarting or anything in case it does that check thing again, took fucking ages. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers. (tu)

Sorry if it sounds like I'm panicking, just don't fancy having to buy a new computer. :D

System restore is your friend (tu)

Could be a memory leak, virus, spyware....or none of them.

Revert it back to before your changed settings...

99% chance you'll be fine.

System restore is your friend (tu)

Could be a memory leak, virus, spyware....or none of them.

Revert it back to before your changed settings...

99% chance you'll be fine.

Did this exactly, thanks a bunch mate. Was as simple as that, running great again. Shit myself. :D

It's probably a virus, themes won't usually affect speed unless you're running a really shit computer. What AV you using? If you haven't tried it yet, use MalwareBytes and see if it comes up with anything.

Not sure what the fuck it was, but I'm using the default windows 7 theme. Tried changing to the really old windows 98 theme or something for the lolz, haven't seen it in years. And then suddenly, the computer just froze.

Fine now though, thank fuck. Cheers for the help lads (tu)