'Clock is already ticking for Walt'

true actually there isn't much time :huh:

by Darrell King

RANGERS boss Walter Smith admits he faces a race against time - to avoid Champions League failure.

The Ibrox gaffer hopes to bring in at least six players for next season, but his new-look team must be gelling before the Uefa deadlines for the two qualifiers Rangers must face.

Rangers must be ready for the first qualifier on July 31 - four days before the SPL starts - and Smith has experience of how difficult that can be.

He told me here in LA: "Having a Champions League qualifier as our first game is going to be a difficult factor for us, it really is. But we have to get on with it, there are a few teams in a similar position.

advertisement"It's not alien to me. When I was here before we had 11 players leaving because of the three-foreigner ruling just implemented by Uefa.

"We had a lot of English players, and a couple of foreigners, and they had to go. That was an awkward period, when we got knocked out of the Champions League qualifiers, albeit to Sparta Prague on away goals, so we realise the pitfalls.

"It's happened to me a few times. Bringing new players, settling them into a new environment and gelling them into a team can be difficult.

"But you know the demands and importance of these games, and you need to plan and try to get everything right."

Smith wants to add new faces soon to the three he has already landed - Alan Gow, who is here and set to face LA Galaxy after SFA clearance, Kirk Broadfoot and Jean-Claude Darcheville.

He added: "We will try to bring in as much quality as we can. You can talk all you like about managers, tactics and other things.

"But from my experience, the better player you have the better level of performance you get and there is a better chance of winning things and being a successful team.

"We don't have a list as such. It's not like we have one player at the top as a priority.

"We have identified several players we think can add things to the squad and we will do our best to satisfy those needs."

Bayern Munich's Peru striker Claudio Pizarro has been added to the list of potential targets.

The 28-year-old is out of contract this season and available for free, but his wage demands will be significant.

Villarreal have already confirmed their interest in the player, who has also been linked with England and Italy.

Club president Fernando Roig said: "Pizarro is a great player. If it was up to us, he would now be here, but it is complicated.

"The boy has enormous ability and finishes his deal in June, but there are many clubs looking."

Gers are definitely interested in West Ham's out-of-favour left-back Paul Konchesky and Osasuna pair Carlos Cuellar and Javad Nekounam. Other reports today suggest a swap deal with Libor Sionko going to St Etienne in exchange for Pascal Feindouno.

Andy Webster, whose Fifa appeal over his £625,000 compensation will be heard this week, makes his long-awaited debut against LA Galaxy tomorrow night (3.30 am Thursday UK time; live on Setanta).

Walter said: "I'm sure it'll mean something more to him because of the time he's been out."

Publication date 22/05/07

But from my experience, the better player you have the better level of performance you get and there is a better chance of winning things and being a successful team.

no shit! :rolleyes:

No a bad article in terms of who we might be looking at.

But Pascal Feindouno is just this seasons Mhakter N'Diaye

he looks like he could become a very good player for us, judging by the videos of him on youtube

But what's he like in the flesh, its all very well seeing his good bits in videos but what is his attitude, commitment, work rate, movement on and off the ball like etc?

"But from my experience, the better player you have the better level of performance you get and there is a better chance of winning things and being a successful team.

I can't believe he said that...sounds like Kevin Keegan.