Ps4 or xbox one

bigmunsen

You have to remember that the majority of console gamers are kids or casuals.. who either don't have the means to or simply aren't interested in paying hundreds of pounds more for better graphics. I dare say a good chunk of that demographic wouldn't even notice the difference unless you had them running side by side.

Consoles are all about being easy to use... accessibility is why consoles are the most popular (traditional) platform for gaming. You sit the box under your TV, you stick a disc in the drive, sit your arse on a couch and off you go... You don't have to worry about compatibility issues(hardware, drivers etc) or tweeking settings to find the optimal performance level for your system.

I don't think you should be dismissinng the impact console exclusive games have either.. there's some huge titles under that banner.

The Last of Us, Dragons Dogma, God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, Forza, Gran Turismo, Red Dead Redemption, Halo(3 onwards), Gears of War(2 onwards), Zelda, Mario, Little Big Planet, Infamous, Heavy Rain, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank..

I'm sure there's more, that's just off the top off my head. On top of that you have all the timed exclusives that consoles get!

I'm fortunate enough to have owned all of the consoles from this generation as well as a gaming PC.. Next generation will be the same, i'll own atleast 1 console alongside my gaming PC to ensure I get the best of both worlds.

A hell of a lot of those games are past releases which will be made null when people are asked to dish out 400 quid + for these new consoles.

I just don't think this generation of consoles really represent a major upgrade like the past ones did. Killzone is not a reason for me to spend 400 quid more to replace my ps3 and it's catalogue of games I still have.

You also don't need to blow the roof on a good pc to game and with new projects like this valve steam box then you potentially open the console market to a back catalogue of some of the best games ever made.

Untill some really major releases come out for the next gen then I will be sticking with my PS3 and my PC.

(the nintendo consoles are a whole different argument as they don't cost the world and aren't targeting hardcore gamers any more)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i woul want a PC for is FPS & Race Sims, I cringe when people say Gran Tursimo is the best sim on the market...it is woeful compared to PC sims... iRacing, GTR & rFactor are brilliant, Assetto Corsa & Project Cars are looking insanely good and will most likely be far better than Forza 5 & GT6.

You're missing my point.. The age of those games is irrelevant as I was just showcasing some of the quality console exclusives that we have had this generation. I'd feel quite comfortable betting that PC only gamers would love to have some of those games, even as current release! Also I wouldn't say they are null and void... People will still play those games long after the PS4's release.

We're at the start of a new generation.. so i'm not sure what you're expecting games wise? Just look at the quality of games on the PS3 now compared to the games at the time of release... It's night and day! It will take developers a good while to get the most out of the PS4 and the Xbox One, an extensive catalogue of quality games doesn't just happen over night.

If you're not comfortable laying down a fat sum on a new console at the moment.. that's fine! A lot of people feel that way hence why Sony and Microsoft have been trying to entice us to pre-order by offering release day bonuses and limited edition hardware.

For a respectable gaming PC you're looking at £700+ (full build including a monitor etc)... and even then a PC in that price range will eventually be dragged down to the PS4 and Xbox One's level within 2 or so years. Obviously the hardware will still be superior since the console doesn't change, but optimization is king... Don't forget the majority of PC releases are just console ports with a lick of paint, some higher res textures and some AA. Most studio's simply don't have a budget or a team dedicated to proper PC game development.. where as they have teams who specialize on squeezing every single bit of juice out a console.

You're missing my point.. The age of those games is irrelevant as I was just showcasing some of the quality console exclusives that we have had this generation. I'd feel quite comfortable betting that PC only gamers would love to have some of those games, even as current release! Also I wouldn't say they are null and void... People will still play those games long after the PS4's release.

We're at the start of a new generation.. so i'm not sure what you're expecting games wise? Just look at the quality of games on the PS3 now compared to the games at the time of release... It's night and day! It will take developers a good while to get the most out of the PS4 and the Xbox One, an extensive catalogue of quality games doesn't just happen over night.

If you're not comfortable laying down a fat sum on a new console at the moment.. that's fine! A lot of people feel that way hence why Sony and Microsoft have been trying to entice us to pre-order by offering release day bonuses and limited edition hardware.

For a respectable gaming PC you're looking at £700+ (full build including a monitor etc)... and even then a PC in that price range will eventually be dragged down to the PS4 and Xbox One's level within 2 or so years. Obviously the hardware will still be superior since the console doesn't change, but optimization is king... Don't forget the majority of PC releases are just console ports with a lick of paint, some higher res textures and some AA. Most studio's simply don't have a budget or a team dedicated to proper PC game development.. where as they have teams who specialize on squeezing every single bit of juice out a console.

There is no guarantee that the PS4 or the XBone will be worth buying, all you have to go on right now is empty promises from Sony and Microsoft, and with the current fiasco on DRM with microsoft it really does not seem worthwhile buying either console at release. Maybe after a year I will reconsider but looking at release schedules, there is 0 games that aren't also coming out on PC that I would need either console to play.

I also think your example is why I have such disdane for these next gen consoles. The hardware barely compares to a mid range gaming pc but they will be holding back game development for the next 4/5 years for any multi-platform releases as resources are diverted to console game production.

There is no guarantee that the PS4 or the XBone will be worth buying, all you have to go on right now is empty promises from Sony and Microsoft, and with the current fiasco on DRM with microsoft it really does not seem worthwhile buying either console at release. Maybe after a year I will reconsider but looking at release schedules, there is 0 games that aren't also coming out on PC that I would need either console to play.

I also think your example is why I have such disdane for these next gen consoles. The hardware barely compares to a mid range gaming pc but they will be holding back game development for the next 4/5 years for any multi-platform releases as resources are diverted to console game production.

What MS were gonnae to with the whole "drm fiasco" was no different to Steam.

Steambox? :lol:

Basically a micro PC that's designed to sit under your TV for gaming purposes. Despite all the hoopla it's not a new idea by any means.. people have been building their own micro gaming PC's for years as have companies like Alienware(look up the X51)

Anyway Valve/Steam have partnered up various system developers to create a range of Steam machines("steambox"). Instead of running windows, I believe these machines run a steam operating system based on linux, which inturn will allow full steam integration. For those who don't know what Steam is.. it's a digital distribution application that is used to sell and play PC games.

A lot of people seem to be under the impression this is going to be a game changer.. I personally don't see it. I can see them being massively over priced for a start!

Basically a micro PC that's designed to sit under your TV for gaming purposes. Despite all the hoopla it's not a new idea by any means.. people have been building their own micro gaming PC's for years as have companies like Alienware(look up the X51)

Anyway Valve/Steam have partnered up various system developers to create a range of Steam machines("steambox"). Instead of running windows, I believe these machines run a steam operating system based on linux, which inturn will allow full steam integration. For those who don't know what Steam is.. it's a digital distribution application that is used to sell and play PC games.

A lot of people seem to be under the impression this is going to be a game changer.. I personally don't see it. I can see them being massively over priced for a start!

I thought Valve created Steam??

Defo not a game changer, Will be a overpriced mid PC in a box. (basically a PS4/Xbox One as that's what thy have turned into)

Console war lol

Out of interest why do you feel the need to tell people your an atheist?

Thats what it is. Sony's strategy has reminded me a lot of Sega's when they were going head-to-head with Nintendo.

(ps, Its just a name. I wish I had a better answer for you like "Atheists need to come of the closet!!" but alas, I don't.)

Yer, Ive got steam, interesting to see how they approach this. It's the name that gets me :lol:

I'm only using Steam at the moment since my PS3 kicked the bucket but I doubt I'll be getting this 'Steam Box' or whatever they call it. For a start I don't have $1000 to spend on a console so I'd need to wait to get it pre-owned on Ebay. Secondly, I don't think it will be that much better than the PS4 and Xbox One. It will have better graphics but I reckon we are now at a level where the graphics are good enough that maybe, just maybe, the emphasis could go back to gameplay and replay value? Thats whats important to me, which is why I often revert to Snes and Mega Drive emulators and roll out a few classics. :)

Maybe the Steam Box (are they even calling it that or is that something termed by the Youtube community?) will be a game changer but it would need to offer a different style of gameplay and it wont happen.