144 members have voted

1. 1. Take yer pick

• Baxter
    • Cooper

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst Cooper had undeniable talent in abundance, Baxter played at a higher level and was more influential.

Baxter was the best player in Scotland when he signed for Rangers and in 18 Old Firm games, was only on the losing side twice. An incredible talent.

Would love a poll done on here, say 25 top top players, Laudrup, McCoist, Baxter, Henderson. Gough, Butcher, Jardine, Greig , van Bronkhurst, Numan , etc etc.The say Greig was the greatest ever, was that on years and commitment to the club also? My late father gave me the Wullie Henderson video and wow, what a player, the speed of the guy. To be honest was hard to believe we had a player that good. Wish I could have saw him play. He would maybe have got my vote followed by McCoist then Greig, or Greig then McCoist.

Henderson with Baxter both had the honour of making Rest of the World Select teams - says it all. Wee Wullie may have been blind as a bat but the wee man had the heart of a Lion.

For those who mentioned Jinky, lets not forget that Big Jock to the chagrin of the bheasts chose Wee Wullie over 'the rower' and Big Jock Knew a good player when he spotted one.

Most would probably agree that Laudrup was a class above both.

Clearly you never saw Baxter in action either.

Baxter was a football genius in an era when coaching consisted of chucking a football at the captain and telling them to get out there and get tore intae them.

I shudder to think what damage an organised team wi' Slim Jim in it would do today.

Only way Laudrup's scores over Baxter is that BL wasn't a beer swilling, gambling rogue.

Ferguson said Baxter, a wing-half, was "arguably the best player to play in Scottish football". He added: "He had immense skill, balance, confidence, grace and ability to pass and hold the ball. He was just a fantastic footballer. Fantastic"

Pele commented that he wished Baxter had been Brazilian.

Baxter had an arrogant streak which was matched only by his ability and which took him to another dimension. I cannot think of another player, who in the middle of a game against Scotland's biggest enemy would have had the temerity to play 'keepy-up' while the game was in progress.

I agree, the problem being having to have seen both of them you'd need to be really old like you, or in my case just old so more likely to vote Cooper :D

I'm not sure videos ever show the real class of players, it's only been since the sky era are these videos any real use

I think this is the problem with this poll. The people who never seen Baxter play will vote for Cooper,

Davie Cooper was my absolute Idol.

He was one of the finest Footballers around in his peak.

However Slim Jim for me was a better all rounder and was just as skillful .

Although Two very different players I reckon Slim just edged it.

He was quite sublime at Times.

Davie was a bit less flamboyant however gave me some of my best ever memory's at Ibrox.

IMO

Having never seen either of them play in the flesh it's difficult to make a choice. I went for Baxter just purely because he would have walked into a World 11 in his prime whereas Super Coop would not.

People can say that the likes of Mr Struth, Willie Waddell, John Greig, Walter Smith and Super Ally are up there as The Greatest Ranger ever but surely Slim Jim must be the most skilful player to wear a Rangers jersey.