If, IF, we win the Scottish Cup this season, where would it rank?

The most satisfying for sure - no debate

Achievement wise I'm unsure as we do have the second best squad, wage bill etc in Scotland and resources that dwarf everyone else

For me there are still at least 3 better teams than us left regardless of resources etc. We couldn't have asked for a better draw and have a real chance with semi at ibrox. I know where TWB is coming from I honestly can't get excited too much when we win this league. Last season was more a relief that we were on our way back than a fist pumping celebration. This season is much the same I can't get overly excited at coming top of the pile when the 2nd best team is dunfermline who are terrible. None of this is our fault it's just the way it is.

However I would give my right arm to win the cup this year. It's a perfect storm really easy draws, ibrox in semi and chance to win it on the scums doorstep. I for one will celebrate it like a helicopter Sunday !! Don't care about how we do it if we grind 1-0's playing route 1 then so be it!! Results are all that matter now as far as cup is concerned.

On the downside and if the unthinkable happened and Rovers put us out there would be no way back for me as far as Ally is concerned.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm far from convinced. Templeton, Black, Shiels and Daly and even Law were hardly superstars in the top tier. Some good patches of form but nothing that would make me think they were indispensible when it came to us being in the top flight. I'd go as far as to say if we hadn't lost the traitors we'd only have seen one or two of them at the club. (Templeton & Law)

I don't largely disagree with that but they were by all accounts stand outs at their SPL clubs and if they could have afforded to keep them they would have.

As far as our regular title winning sides competing in Europe go I doubt many of our current squad would make it, but I've already said we'd not win the league. I disagree with you that we could only expect mid table or worse however, and cups are a realistic prospect especially with a bit of luck in the draw.

For me there are still at least 3 better teams than us left regardless of resources etc. We couldn't have asked for a better draw and have a real chance with semi at ibrox. I know where TWB is coming from I honestly can't get excited too much when we win this league. Last season was more a relief that we were on our way back than a fist pumping celebration. This season is much the same I can't get overly excited at coming top of the pile when the 2nd best team is dunfermline who are terrible. None of this is our fault it's just the way it is.

However I would give my right arm to win the cup this year. It's a perfect storm really easy draws, ibrox in semi and chance to win it on the scums doorstep. I for one will celebrate it like a helicopter Sunday !! Don't care about how we do it if we grind 1-0's playing route 1 then so be it!! Results are all that matter now as far as cup is concerned.

On the downside and if the unthinkable happened and Rovers put us out there would be no way back for me as far as Ally is concerned.

Fair post mate

I don't largely disagree with that but they were by all accounts stand outs at their SPL clubs and if they could have afforded to keep them they would have.

As far as our regular title winning sides competing in Europe go I doubt many of our current squad would make it, but I've already said we'd not win the league. I disagree with you that we could only expect mid table or worse however, and cups are a realistic prospect especially with a bit of luck in the draw.

Being good in a shit hearts team doesnt make you a particularly good player. I think we both agree that the players who signed post newco were of a poorer quality than those we lost by becoming a newco.

The Aberdeen side doing so well has Willo Flood as a key player.

Obviously that's just one example and it's not so simple but I just think our squad is more capable of competing against top flight teams than many think.

We are capable but over the course of the season we don't have the depth to our squad imo to maintain it.

If we did win the cup which is a big ask it would really show Scottish Football that we are back as a force to be reckoned with.

Even a final appearance would send a big message. Next year we get harder teams to play so we should be able to do even better in the cup competitions.

Winning the Scottish Cup is always a great way to end a season so if the gods shine on us one day in May I will be very happy.

We are capable but over the course of the season we don't have the depth to our squad imo to maintain it.

I agree but I'm just thinking in the context of the cups, the league cup was another good opportunity wasted (albeit winning the Scottish Cup would largely make up for it).

Being good in a shit hearts team doesnt make you a particularly good player. I think we both agree that the players who signed post newco were of a poorer quality than those we lost by becoming a newco.

No doubt, that was the core of a team that won three titles in a row and got to a European final.

Just a pity so many of them are traitorous bastards a now.

Football doesn't work like that. The team with the biggest wage bill got pumped out in the 5th round.

They are 21 points ahead of them in the league though. Upsets do happen, which is one of the things that make cup competitions interesting, but it is a match Celtic should have won.

The most satisfying for sure - no debate

Achievement wise I'm unsure as we do have the second best squad, wage bill etc in Scotland and resources that dwarf everyone else

Let's put this wage bill into perspective. What is the Shettleston harriers wage bill? And what is Morton's and Aberdeen's?

It helps, but it's not the be all and end all

Let's put this wage bill into perspective. What is the Shettleston harriers wage bill? And what is Morton's and Aberdeen's?

It helps, but it's not the be all and end all

Again point missed

With wage bills so high your expected to do well

If you don't it's classed as a shock

Wage bill high and do well = less of a shock

Green was right - with our set up we are expected to win a major cup

I'm far from convinced. Templeton, Black, Shiels and Daly and even Law were hardly superstars in the top tier. Some good patches of form but nothing that would make me think they were indispensible when it came to us being in the top flight. I'd go as far as to say if we hadn't lost the traitors we'd only have seen one or two of them at the club. (Templeton & Law)

Ok go through the Aberdeen starting 11 player for player.....who would you swap? I can't think of one player who would improve our best 11 (subjective)....

Ryan Jack at right back

Johnny Hayes ahead of Aird/Little/Peralta.

Robson for Black

I don't think there's much between Bell and Lamgfield either.

Ok jack fair enough.....I don't think Hayes is any better than a 19 year old improving aird and langfield is never better than bell. Robson as discussed would surely be comparable with law if going with type?

Ok jack fair enough.....I don't think Hayes is any better than a 19 year old improving aird and langfield is never better than bell. Robson as discussed would surely be comparable with law if going with type?

Nah I prefer Robson sitting deep doing the donkey work that Black does. Law is better going forward and offers a more potent attacking threat. I think in time Aird will be a good player but at this moment in time Hayes is a better player.

And that's the critisim many have of ally! On paper our first team is clearly the second best in the country but very rarely play that way!

I'm not a fan of Ally the manager but I wouldn't say we were 'clearly' 2nd best team on paper. I think Law, Shiels, Daly and Black are bang average SPL players. Smith, Pertula and Foster are beyond shite. Big Jig is getting on and it shows. As for youngsters only McLeod looks okay the rest we will never know as they are all on loan.

We have yet to play a semi decent side. If we go out with a wimper at the semi final stage then Ally will have to go for me.