In Defence of McCoist

saintbob1969

I'm no fan of McCoist as a manager. We have won the league and if that is the only priority then it would be churlish to ask him to step aside. However the football has been woeful since before xmas, He seems unable to motivate his players to give their all for the fans every week. If the players don't perform they deserve to be dropped and someone else given a chance. Week in week out the team virtually picks itself, young Gallagher has been good since he was given his chance, but I'd like to see some of the other youngsters too. Ally needs to be more adventurous and give the fans something to look forward to.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have alway's defended McCoist as he was my idol growing up but he is not the man to take us forward. Pre administration he inherited the core of his squad from walter smith, and rather than build on it he got put out of europe very early and also both cups.

I think the gap was more like 8-10 points due to celtics game in hand and obviously going into admin hurt us but we lost the league by more points than were taken from us proving we were second best that year. Some may say we would have won it as we wouldn't have dropped as many points if we avoided admin but I guess we will never know.

since then even though I have defended the money ally has spent there is no denying that he has wasted it over paying on wages for average to low spfl players, when we should have been looking at guys between 20-24 in the championship maybe even league one who would have been on buttons and would be more then enough to get us to where we are.(for me the fact we have the second highest wage bill in scotland and are still 4th place in terms of favourites to win the scottish cup is the proof in the pudding ally hasn't spent wisely )

In doing so we may have still had a few bob to splash in our championship season for the assault on the spfl.

as far as tactics and man management go well most on here are at Ibrox every other week and if not watch the games on stream/tv and it's there for all to see.

McCoist is a poor manager with poor man management skills, it is no accolade to be winning slightly better than abysmal leagues with the resources The Rangers have, most people om RM would have won those leagues and also done a damned sight better in the cups.

There are no excuses for McCoist none are needed for winning these leagues, it is not even expected it is a given.

Aye, RM is full of deluded egocentrics.

Fact is even if we win the SC certain members of this forum will find excuses to undermine it because they are blinded to any future other than Ally Oot!

surely even the most ardent of the ally out supporters would concede that winning the scottish would be a massive achievement?

If you're happy with ally's style of football then fair enough,personally I don't think this style of football and some of his signings can take us forward and whilst I sympathise with some of the stuff ally has had to put up with I think its fair to say also ally has been cut more slack than any rangers manager before him.

surely even the most ardent of the ally out supporters would concede that winning the scottish would be a massive achievement?

Second highest wage blah blah...

Easy run blah blah...

My dog could win the SC with this budget blah blah...

I stubbed my toe and it's Ally's fault blah blah...

Second highest wage blah blah...

Easy run blah blah...

My dog could win the SC with this budget blah blah...

I stubbed my toe and it's Ally's fault blah blah...

You forgot the monkeys ...... Any monkey could manage this squad and win the league

When Ally wins the top duvision the same folk will be saying but he is not the man to take us forward in Europe blah blah blah

McCoists comments after the Annan defeat tell us all we need to know, its never Alistair's fault, it is always a big boy did it and ran away.

It would do him no harm to accept responsibility for his acquisitions and the team in general.

Would it do him any good either? I disagreed with him at that point, and having listened to Green's interview live on Talksport actually thought he was defending the manager, but is it not time to let that one go?

McCoists comments after the Annan defeat tell us all we need to know, its never Alistair's fault, it is always a big boy did it and ran away.

It would do him no harm to accept responsibility for his acquisitions and the team in general.

I am sure he is happy to take responsibility for his squads performance - one lost game this season, ramsden a cup final semi- final of the SC - I am sure he is more than happy to take 'respobsibility' for those 'damming' achievements - me I think he should take 'credit' for it - but, hey, taking responsibility for it works

He also got us that 15 point lead in the first place, beat celtic twice at ibrox (we hadn't beat them at ibrox for about 19 months before that, I think, not 100% sure.).

Yes he lost the lead but I'm sure as an inexperienced manager he learned from it and I doubt he would let that happen again.

I'm not happy with the football this season by any means but this is an ugly league. It's where we are and unfortunately it looks like we are going to have to put up with it for now.

I would like to see what his plans are for next season. I would hope the likes of McKay and mcausland are loaned out with a view to coming back into the squad next season.

And if the under 20s can push on and win their league this season maybe a few of them can come into the team as winners next season.

I think next year is the year to judge him. It will be the third year of rebuilding and that is long enough to develop younger players and build a decent squad at this level.

By the end of next season if there is no improvement I personally would be ready to join the ally oot team.

But definitely not before then.

Blew a 15 point lead long before there were any financial issues.

Apologies to b.Skelper did not see his earlier post.

No problem mate. I'm a bit out anyway. (tu)

Firstly he got that lead in the first place (or is he only responsible for the bad things) secondly, could you show me that league table that has us 15 ahead with a game in hand, because that is not at all how I remember it, I believe they had at least one game in hand on us, if not two.

Yes LB, Now that I think about it, i'm sure it was them who had 2 games in hand when we were 15 ahead. My bad (tu)

I doubt the claim that most on RM could manage so easily. On the tinterweb its too easy to throw that stuff around.

Really?

What has ally contributed on the park management wise apart from picking a starting 11 and putting some subs on at regular points in the game

Most amateur and junior managers do the same if not more

I only remember there being a 15 point lead with them having two games in hand, that was just before we played them at the girodome.

Pesky facts there, 15 points with 2 games in hand then playing them very soon which takes it down to 6 points. Some people just need a grip about actually supporting their manager on here and on other social media blaming it all on McCoist. No other manager has had their best players leave him and had to build a team in 48 hours.

ANY manager in any of those leagues we've just won could have won them with the resources Ally had. I really doubt ANY of them would have fared any worse either.

Ultimately, that is what this all boils down to - he brings/has brought NOTHING to the party...

Ally McCoist was my idol growing up, however he is a terrible manager. We were unravelling long before admin. The pressures at the club before admin were the sort of pressures that virtually every club in Scotland lives with on a daily basis. Many of the clubs in our country are one bad winter (postponed home games) away from serious financial problems.

He managed to give us a lead in the league but the football was appalling and he very quickly lost that lead. I actually believe that going into administration saved McCoist's job. What I will say however is that McCoist had a very poor start as a player with us and he showed the mental strength to come through that. If anyone can come through this sort of a start as a manager then it's McCoist. I have my doubts but would be delighted if he did.

He needs to bring in a proper assistant manager and someone who can actually coach the team.

I disagree - he repeats the same mistakes week after week

That stupid free kick where three stand over the baw and its tapped short and eventually fired straight at the on rushing defender being a prime example

There are many others

Our Free kicks are Fucking abysmal.

Another too is no one plays a long throw in either.

No variation in Play, and void of any Ideas.

We never also take quick free kicks and always just lob them in high after the opposition defence are ready.