How come we sing Derry's walls and not Londonderry's walls?

Is it just cause Derry fits better into the song?

Always troubled me.

Derry fits better, not the first time Londonderry has been shortened to fit into something or to make it easier to say.

How come we sing Derry's walls and not Londonderry's walls?

Is it just cause Derry fits better into the song?

Always troubled me.

I believe it's because the city was still called Derry at the time of the siege.

It was only after William conquered, that it became Londonderry, so at the time it was "Derry's walls" (tu)

it was officially named Londonderry with the granting of the Royal Charter in 1613.

it's Derry in the song as it fits better and also because Derry was a commonly used name for the city by everyone. It's only really since the 60s & 70s that the republican scum have politicised it and tried everything they can to have "London" removed from the name that it has become contentious

it was officially named Londonderry with the granting of the Royal Charter in 1613.

it's Derry in the song as it fits better and also because Derry was a commonly used name for the city by everyone. It's only really since the 60s & 70s that the republican scum have politicised it and tried everything they can to have "London" removed from the name that it has become contentious

Never knew that it was called Londonderry so early on, cheers mate (tu)

Intend on one day making it over to get a tour around the walls from the memorial hall.