Playing The Game - Skill Level

Need to put this into context - semi pro level in Oz is juniors level in Scotland (sometimes).

I coach semi pro here and during pre season used a 14 year old lad and his 16 year old brother against a senior semi pro team.

The 16 year old is good the 14 year very very good, anyway he picks the ball up on the half way line and does the double over a few times and i thought here we go he's going to lose it or get hit.

The opposition player backed off and a defender doubled up behind him with about a 3-4m gap between them - the 14year old rainbowed the first player (it really was perfect) and got in behind the player to the ball before the second player could get close enough, he dummied the second player put him the wrong way and pushed into the penalty box (we didn't score). Anyway i was in awe and pissing myself at the same time - there would have been a crowd of 80-90 watching and it was well received by both sets of supporters.

End of the game - both players in there mid to late 20s approached the young guy shook his hand and offered possibly the best encouragement I've heard from an opposition player, the young guy had the biggest smile on his face i reckon I've ever seen.

Having played the game and reckon i was fairly decent on the day i couldn't lace this boys boots, the opposition players said as much.

We have a similar situation in Alloa and watch the skill level of a player be torn apart by the media and a sour opposition player really does show where the Scottish mentality is towards a player with undoubted skill who PLAYS FOR RANGERS.

Its not about the skill its about who he plays for.

Whats more important slating Rangers or encouraging a higher skill level.

We should be encouraging the kids to play with a smile on their faces and not be scared to take chances - its about enjoyment without fear.

Think people have went a bit OTT with the situation. It was 1 guy moaning which the media reported and everyone I've listened to or read in the media since has defended our player.

Opposition players are never going to like someone try to take the piss out of them like that.

Watch Neymar for Barca try it against Athletic Bilbao and the opposition surround him going mental. A wee greeting lassie after the game is no worries to us and should be forgotten about.

Think people have went a bit OTT with the situation. It was 1 guy moaning which the media reported and everyone I've listened to or read in the media since has defended our player.

Opposition players are never going to like someone try to take the piss out of them like that.

Watch Neymar for Barca try it against Athletic Bilbao and the opposition surround him going mental. A wee greeting lassie after the game is no worries to us and should be forgotten about.

Exactly.

Cunt was lucky he didn't have a penalty awarded against him aswell....

in my opinion the rainbow flick was a tad much, if it came off then fine, also pretty sure it should have been a penalty!

it is a hard skill to pull off in a game...but its way more effective if you can do it on the bounce!

A tad much, but if it came off then fine....

That makes sense

:D

To be fair, the only person I have seen who said it was disrespectful was the guy he did it to. Even pat nevin said it should be applauded on the BBC.

Exactly. All this paranoia over the Scottish media from some Bears over this has been out of order. It was one guy complaining about being disrespected and as you'd expect the media jumped on what was a great story from their point of view. None of them actually criticised Oddy for his attempted trick.