The Left Back Position?

What are we likely to do?

Although there have been links with both Rat of Shakatar Donetsk and Knochesky of WHU it appears to have gone quiet on that front and it looks like our money is being invested else where.

Although Smith remains first choice, I can't help but feel that Papac will start the season in that position, until he reaches full fitness again.

With doubts hanging over Smith's ability to keep fit and Papac and Broadfoot being the only other alternatives avaialable there I think the left back position, which we rarely have problems with, will become one of our biggest problem areas.

It needs addressed IMO!

Thoughts?

I'm with Dado. LB is critical. With Smith out for the foreseeable future, only fringe deputies are usable there. Papac is poor at LB, Broadfoot is just poor period imo, and Murray is a utility player who is not a long term solution.

We need a serious purchase for that slot.

armand traore on loan from arsenal!

Perhaps a more realistic and very viable shout would be to get Michael Ball back here.

It sounds ridicilous but he wouldn't eat into our budget because, although they planned to, I don't think Man City renewed his contract.

He was never going to replace Artur Numan as he didn't have the same attacking instinct, but never the less, I always liked him when he was here, even if others didn't. He was a solid defender who just got on with his business with minimal fuss. Sure injuries hindered his time here, but I was pretty sad when we let him go to PSV.

At 27 he is hardly a veteran and is IMO just as good as Knochesky, he has played here before so he knows what the club is all about, he wouldn't command a fee, he has big game experience and he has played with Beasley before so they would already have some sort of understanding.

I know they say you should never go back but he is one who I would happily take back, especially when you look at our other options in that position.

Papac, Murray and Broadfoot are not good enough and I'd hate to start the season with any of those(I dont even see Broadfoot as a LB and Papac is just allround sh*te whether it be LB or CB). Smith seems far too injury prone and we dont know what will happen when he starts pre-season.

I think a top LB is a priority signing. Rat or Konchesky would be my first choices but I can see them costing far too much.

Just got the feeling that Smith is going to use Papac, we'll get absolutely ripped down the left side with him there.

Perhaps a more realistic and very viable shout would be to get Michael Ball back here

Please no, more injury prone than Stevey Smith!

We have gaps all over our lineup and limited funds to fill them. Yet you wish to spend money on a position that has 4 first team players fighting over it?

I think not

Anyway, from what I hear Smith will be ready for the first game - if he isn't, I am more than happy with Murray in there anyway

Yet you wish to spend money on a position that has 4 first team players fighting over it?

Yes as one is injury prone and the other 3 are p*sh(1 of them not even being a LB)

Yet you wish to spend money on a position that has 4 first team players fighting over it?

Yes as one is injury prone and the other 3 are p*sh(1 of them not even being a LB)

Is Smith injury prone? Too early to tell IMO

So what if we pay 2 million for an experienced LB - he plays solidly for a few weeks and then Smith comes back from injury - what then? Do we let Smith rot in the reserves and then sell him to Preston?

IMO - Smith and Hutton are our stud fullbacks for many many years to come - we should give them all the help that we can, by all means have back ups who can come in and do a job from time to time, but make it their job to lose.

Murray is fine as a back up - in our glory years we had guys like Alec Cleland help out, Murray is far better than the likes of him. And he certainly did not cost us after Walter and the boys got here.

I think Broadfoot will surprise us and Papac I find a useful guy to have around - certainly way better than "p*sh" as you so eloquently put it

Is Smith injury prone? Too early to tell IMO

So what if we pay 2 million for an experienced LB - he plays solidly for a few weeks and then Smith comes back from injury - what then? Do we let Smith rot in the reserves and then sell him to Preston?

IMO - Smith and Hutton are our stud fullbacks for many many years to come - we should give them all the help that we can, by all means have back ups who can come in and do a job from time to time, but make it their job to lose.

Murray is fine as a back up - in our glory years we had guys like Alec Cleland help out, Murray is far better than the likes of him. And he certainly did not cost us after Walter and the boys got here.

I think Broadfoot will surprise us and Papac I find a useful guy to have around - certainly way better than "p*sh" as you so eloquently put it

what a thought :beer2:

I think we will play Papac or Murray until Smith is fit.

We do need a quality player to play there, but when Smith returns he should walk into the first team, IMO, meaning the new signing is bench-warming.

I know competition is healthy, but I think a loan deal for a left-back would be ideal.

We do need a quality player to play there, but when Smith returns he should walk into the first team, IMO, meaning the new signing is bench-warming.

I know competition is healthy, but I think a loan deal for a left-back would be ideal.

All due respect Davy - but if you want a loan deal for a LB, what was the point in signing Broadfoot, or keeping Murray around

lets face it, we will not get a LB of decent abaility willing to come to us to be back up to smith who is any better than our current back ups

lets use all our resources to buy the players that we NEED.

All due respect Davy - but if you want a loan deal for a LB, what was the point in signing Broadfoot, or keeping Murray around

lets face it, we will not get a LB of decent abaility willing to come to us to be back up to smith who is any better than our current back ups

lets use all our resources to buy the players that we NEED.

Well I wouldn't have signed Broadfoot, nor would I keep Murray or Papac. I don't think any of them are good enough.

But I'm thinking ahead to when Smith is fit and first choice, what happens to our new signing ? A loan deal makes sence, IMO.

Broadfoot is not a natural LB and he wasn't bought to play there.

Exactly what I though. Although he did play there on a few occassions for St. Mirren he's a CB.

Don't know much about Broadfoot having only seen him live a couple of times and also on tv, but he just looked like a chaotic centre half who looked like a disaster waiting to happen.

Remember Walter had a habit of playing central defenders at full back, Boli,McPherson, Moore for example.

We have sufficient cover and quality to cover this position. We need to invest such funds at the other end of the pitch. In my view there probably isnt much between Celtics and our defence and i expect they will perform pretty similar this season. What we must ensure though is that we out fight them in midfield and out play them up front, this is critical.