Backline looks more promising

9 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

I agree that completion was missing in that position last year but think they showed in the big games they're capable of raising their game. 

Hopefully they can maintain that level over the course of the season against better opposition. 

Consistency over the season will be key in winning anything.This applies to the full team though not just one or two individuals.As I say hence the squad now.Anyone who is not consistent should be dropped regardless who they are and where they play.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

Consistency over the season will be key in winning anything.This applies to the full team though not just one or two individuals.As I say hence the squad now.Anyone who is not consistent should be dropped regardless who they are and where they play.

Playing and performing at a consistent level is the defining factor in being successful at Rangers; which is possibly why a player could never play for the club and rely on reputation alone- many have come and thought they could get by on reputation only to find they are out the door. The good thing is that Warburton is well tuned when it comes to those demands; and, as you say, on the whole squad.

30 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Playing and performing at a consistent level is the defining factor in being successful at Rangers; which is possibly why a player could never play for the club and rely on reputation alone- many have come and thought they could get by on reputation only to find they are out the door. The good thing is that Warburton is well tuned when it comes to those demands; and, as you say, on the whole squad.

Consistency has to apply to everyone. Theres no point criticising a player for having a nightmare game while others escape the same criticism whilst having a nightmare week in and week out.As you mention Iam sure that Mr Warburton demands and expects the same consistency of effort from everyone and if that is not given by whoever he takes the correct action and replaces the player with someone who will deliver what is required.

Took me about 80 minutes to realise Kiernan was playing on Monday night, that's not a dig at him but just shows how little we had to do at the back. The Motherwell game didn't fill me with confidence but we now look like we have stronger cover in front of the back 4 so hopefully we'll see a more confident and organised defence as the games go on. 

2 hours ago, ManchestGer said:

Took me about 80 minutes to realise Kiernan was playing on Monday night, that's not a dig at him but just shows how little we had to do at the back. The Motherwell game didn't fill me with confidence but we now look like we have stronger cover in front of the back 4 so hopefully we'll see a more confident and organised defence as the games go on. 

The Motherwell game gave me some confidence. The chances they had were on a few occasions were chances that they couldn't take cleanly, and in some occasions, because our defenders had good positional sense, any opportunities their attack had to score became merely half-chances- their attack had to play to higher margins to get anything from the match, and they got nothing from the match; that was down to good defending. And, when I say good defending, I mean good defending right through the team. Teams are going to get chances against us, especially with our emphasis on attacking football; the way we played against Motherwell is the way we will play against the vast majority of our opponents. 

27 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

The Motherwell game gave me some confidence. The chances they had were on a few occasions were chances that they couldn't take cleanly, and in some occasions, because our defenders had good positional sense, any opportunities their attack had to score became merely half-chances- their attack had to play to higher margins to get anything from the match, and they got nothing from the match; that was down to good defending. And, when I say good defending, I mean good defending right through the team. Teams are going to get chances against us, especially with our emphasis on attacking football; the way we played against Motherwell is the way we will play against the vast majority of our opponents. 

That's the whole point.Football is about two teams trying to create goal scoring opportunities and turning them into goals.I have read on this forum how Motherwell could realistically been up 3 nil at half time. Well factually it was nil-nil at half time and factually 2 nil to Rangers at full time.It seems that this team are now not even allowed to give chances,where do we stop,the amount of corners,throw ins, free kicks.Its football, teams try and score and fortunately the final score is about goals scored not what could have beens and nearlies.If we had been playing the scum and they had nearly 20 chances and scored none but we had scored two goals would anybody be giving a toss.I think we all know the answer to that one surely.

7 minutes ago, sammy cox said:

That's the whole point.Football is about two teams trying to create goal scoring opportunities and turning them into goals.I have read on this forum how Motherwell could realistically been up 3 nil at half time. Well factually it was nil-nil at half time and factually 2 nil to Rangers at full time.It seems that this team are now not even allowed to give chances,where do we stop,the amount of corners,throw ins, free kicks.Its football, teams try and score and fortunately the final score is about goals scored not what could have beens and nearlies.If we had been playing the scum and they had nearly 20 chances and scored none but we had scored two goals would anybody be giving a toss.I think we all know the answer to that one surely.

I agree, and because it was a few matches ago I can't remember who the players were, but they were running in on goal and our defender closed down the run and their attacker became ever more isolated in front of goal, where the eventual chance became a half chance, and the keeper having a much easier save to make. Also, the defence wasn't given much credit for the header their attacker had where he couldn't get the measure on the ball that he would have liked, and would have got had the man marking him not done so properly. You're correct, teams will get opportunities, but if they don't score then the defence has to be doing something right whether it was a chance or not. It would appear, by implication, that to some fans a chance is as good as a goal!

2 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I agree, and because it was a few matches ago I can't remember who the players were, but they were running in on goal and our defender closed down the run and their became more isolated in from of goal, where the eventual chance became a half chance, and the keeper having a much easier save to make. Also the defence wasn't given much credit for the header their attacker had where he couldn't get the measure on the ball that he would have liked, and would have got had the man marking him not done so properly. You're correct, teams will get opportunities, but if they don't score then the defence has to be doing something right whether it was a chance or not. It would appear, by implication, that to some fans a chance is as good as a goal!

As my son says I don't know if its a credit to Mr Warburton and the rest of the staff that some supporters set their standards so high that the team are not even allowed to concede chances now or whether some just like to moan but I suppose it takes all kinds.Yes we will lose goals and yes we may draw games and even lose games but this season more than any other in recent memory the team need the support of the fans more than any other and not moaning about what could have beens and nearlies. Only my opinion right enough.

4 clean sheets in our opening 4 games is promising but I will reserve judgement until we have faced 3 or 4 SPL  sides - though it's worth noting that Barton and Rossiter seem quite capable of offering our defence better protection than they received last season - which can only be a good thing. 

14 hours ago, MasterD said:

The jury's still out.

A defence that included Faure at RB, McCulloch, Mohsni went 4 and 5 games in a row without conceding against these types of teams. Sure it's a start but we'll see how it goes in the first 4/5 league games.

Ye and pretty much the same defence lost 3 in 20 minutes against a part time team who had just finished work before the game kicked off.So as you say lets just see how they get on in the first few games.

16 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

I actually thought it was more down to Tav being found out of position as they seemed to break quite quickly down the left hand side with pace and when they did the centre backs done as well as they could to constrain them into taking wide angled shots or half chances as you mention so I do agree there but hopefully as the season goes on that organisation and positioning will get better. There were a few dodgy back passes from Kiernan in particular though but I'm just hoping that will be down to rustiness, just remains to be seen I suppose.