Memories of "Tiny" Wharton in Old Firm games

Seems the pitches were muddier, the tackles fiercer, the crowds louder, the songs more bitter in the old days.  More arrests too perhaps.  I only have vague recollections of Mr. Wharton refereeing Old Firm games, largely cup finals.  I met him quite a few years ago and he was kindly and very well-spoken if cautious.  Well-respected by both sets of fans if I recall correctly.  Now that is saying something for Celtic fans.  Wikipedia confirms he did officiate at a good few cup finals in the 1960's and perhaps other Old Firm games too.  Remember a bad-tempered affair, late 1960's, early 1970's when he was the ref.  I think that a Celtic player opened the scoring in his own net but I have few recollections of that day.  Can any other, more seasoned bears help me out with this one?

2 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

Seems the pitches were muddier, the tackles fiercer, the crowds louder, the songs more bitter in the old days.  More arrests too perhaps.  I only have vague recollections of Mr. Wharton refereeing Old Firm games, largely cup finals.  I met him quite a few years ago and he was kindly and very well-spoken if cautious.  Well-respected by both sets of fans if I recall correctly.  Now that is saying something for Celtic fans.  Wikipedia confirms he did officiate at a good few cup finals in the 1960's and perhaps other Old Firm games too.  Remember a bad-tempered affair, late 1960's, early 1970's when he was the ref.  I think that a Celtic player opened the scoring in his own net but I have few recollections of that day.  Can any other, more seasoned bears help me out with this one?

absolutely hated him as a ref in our games against that shower of shite but that's just my opinion 

my brother if he was alive today would tell he worked for a company owned by wharton and he was a prick

so what this means is my thoughts + my late brothers thoughts 

= Wharton was an absolute prick

7 hours ago, STILLGAME 55 said:

absolutely hated him as a ref in our games against that shower of shite but that's just my opinion 

my brother if he was alive today would tell he worked for a company owned by wharton and he was a prick

so what this means is my thoughts + my late brothers thoughts 

= Wharton was an absolute prick

Yeah I was only young boy when he was ref and thought he was a bastard of a ref too. I've thought that about most refs though, ha

How he kept up with play I'll never know guy was well overweight.

The fact that the beggars dominated in this period and they themselves respected him ,tells you quite a lot 

The Craigy buoy Thompson of yesteryear 

He got an incredible amount of OF games    and especially cup finals .

It was a period in my opinion where the first shift in power took place within the Sfa mid 60s.

This opinion is only based on reading plenty of books when I was younger .

He gave scum 2 pens in Lcf in 66/67 season in which they won .They were said to be controversial 

7 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

February 1970 is the game you're referring to i think.

Scottish cup game at Celtic park where we lost 3-1

Jim Craig scored an own goal and Willie Johnston congratulated him by patting him on the head iirc.

I wasn't at the game but remember the pitch was just a  mud heap and that Davie Hay scored from 25 yards.

He was in the steel stock holding business same as Murray used to love it when he would indicate that a player took a dive , he would bend over from the waist down in Basil Fawlty style its a wonder someone never kicked him up the arse bishop Brennan  style .:mutley:

Big thanks to all who replied to my post.  Big Vancouver shout-out to JCB for the details of this game which had me scuttling to the bookcase in my den to dredge up details from a Glasgow Herald almanac of Old Firm fixtures.  Too many years, too many beers ............. but I'm clean and sober now.  

38 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Big thanks to all who replied to my post.  Big Vancouver shout-out to JCB for the details of this game which had me scuttling to the bookcase in my den to dredge up details from a Glasgow Herald almanac of Old Firm fixtures.  Too many years, too many beers ............. but I'm clean and sober now.  

have a drink you'll get over it