Stevie’s Reaction.

Courtyard Bear

5 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

At least 20 times ive commented why the inclusion of Flanagan, causing us our shape to be lop sided, with the opposition then swamping our left hand side, was central to our tactics failing. One more attack minded player in his place could have rectified the shape issue.  That's not to say the outcome would have changed when more than half the team were shite, but at least the system that has served us well with wide outlets from full backs right and left would have helped.  And 1 personnel change would have done this rather than your alien 352, that's why imo its central to Sunday's failings.

Look at the training session video, all balls knocked out wide to around 18 yard box then whipped across 6 yard line or to man supporting from edge of the box. With no such person on the right, and Hearts able to overload instead on the left, our system was fucked until Polster replaced Flanagan.

In in no way saying upfront wasnt a huge issue, but I think much of that was due to what I'm explaining for the 21st or so time now. All of which was entirely predictable and why Gerrard is at fault for selecting him as much as the shit show by Flanagan.

So when polster was on the 2nd half, how many chances did defoe have, how well did we play? 

Morelos just doesnt give us a bully up front, he also gives us breathing space when under the cosh, fire the ball up to him he'll hold it up allowing us to get our shape back, defoe cannot and will never bring that, we could have played any right back on sunday and we'd still have struggled because gerrard expects defoe to replicate morelos

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So when polster was on the 2nd half, how many chances did defoe have, how well did we play? 

Morelos just doesnt give us a bully up front, he also gives us breathing space when under the cosh, fire the ball up to him he'll hold it up allowing us to get our shape back, defoe cannot and will never bring that, we could have played any right back on sunday and we'd still have struggled because gerrard expects defoe to replicate morelos

Your second paragraph 1st. I'm not disputing that at all. Morelos is by far the better of the 2 for the squad we have. Defoe cannot do what Morelos does. But I doubt that theres an ounce of truth that Gerrard expects replication, its blatantly clear he doesnt. He wants balls across the box or through channels to Defoe, I really dont think at all he wants balls fired up to Defoe to hold up whilst bullying defenders.  And in the 2nd half by and large we didnt.

Our general play was better 2nd half than 1st though we were punished twice. 2 good chances 2nd half for Defoe. We scored a goal, more good chances for Aribo, Kent, and a few more half chances. We had 5 of our 6 corners 2nd half as we pushed them back from both sides of the park. There was far more interlink play 2nd half. Polster contributed well, his interception actually started off the move for the goal too. In neither half was there sufficient overall quality.

Tbh mate we're going round in circles. You wanted Flanagan in, I didnt. I think Polster did the job Flanagan cant, which i believe was instrumental in our loss, you dont. I reckon we were better 2and half, not sure you agree. I think the performances and no 1st half threat on the right fucking our system were the problem. Youd have went 352.

Fair to say we see it differently, I'll leave it at that as it's boring as fuck.👍

Archived