Stevie’s Reaction.

Courtyard Bear

13 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

Can’t be bothered listening to it because he’ll play the same players, formation and tactics regardless.

You do have to wonder GEC. How can the manager be so "shocked" after the performances against Stranraer & St Mirren ?

Kris Boyd touched on the problem post match which he mentioned SG's favoured 13/14 players - but what about when they are not cutting it ? Do they keep the jersey week after week despite poor perfomances ? What kind of motivation is that ?

Jones & Docherty must be wondering what they have to do to get  game when the failings from the game previously are ahead of them on the team sheet.

Did anyone honestly expect Ojo to turn things around for us when he came on ? I know I didnt

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

A lot of people are missing the big thing here, 

Why are we continually trying to play the EXACT same system and style when 2 players who are vital to it are missing, 

Would a team who play 3 at the back keep trying it if they only had one centre half? 

Gerrard knew we were playing with flanagan and defoe, and he didnt change a single thing about how we played, its warburton all over again with the one play style and one play style only

This, the difference between us and the taigs is they’ll change it up when key personnel are out. 

Playing Defoe up top on his own is just stupid unless we’re home against a Hamilton, St Mirren etc. Whilst they go 2 up top when they’ve been missing some key midfielders and continue to grind out results. 

You cant rely on Alfie to play every game, so when he’s out we badly need to find a plan B that works without him 

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

A lot of people are missing the big thing here, 

Why are we continually trying to play the EXACT same system and style when 2 players who are vital to it are missing, 

Would a team who play 3 at the back keep trying it if they only had one centre half? 

Gerrard knew we were playing with flanagan and defoe, and he didnt change a single thing about how we played, its warburton all over again with the one play style and one play style only

Polster showed its personnel not the system that was fucked. He offered the needed outlet on the rhs. Patterson did so versus stranraer too.

Flanagan offered experience but a lack of desire to do what he tried to do on wednesday, a distinct lack of ability, and which Polster and Patterson have shown they can do better.

We can keep the same system, though need to do it better, if Flanagan doesnt play. Which is all simple, predictable, and what folk have been saying.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Aribo was shocking in first half yesterday where he could hardly control the ball all half  and only slightly better second half.

Him and Kent playing like two guys who know they’re guaranteed to start no matter how poor they play.

Think his performance has been much better received on here than I thought at the match it deserved. Thought he was really poor.

8 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We can keep the same system, though need to do it better,

Thats a mark warburton statement if ever we've seen one, If morelos or any of our two starting fullbacks are missing our system goes tits up, we need to be able to adapt to differing situations, going to Tynecastle playing a 433 without the players to play it was suicidal and it cost us

8 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Aribo was shocking in first half yesterday where he could hardly control the ball all half  and only slightly better second half.

Him and Kent playing like two guys who know they’re guaranteed to start no matter how poor they play.

I don't know why we keep playing high balls to Aribo the boy just cannot jump, None of the players seemed up for the fight.

23 hours ago, G.E.C. said:

Can’t be bothered listening to it because he’ll play the same players, formation and tactics regardless.

He wont change it because he can`t change it.

We have zero in squad depth and he knows it.

Blame whoever you want, but not having players being challenged for their position will ultimately lose us another league. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Thats a mark warburton statement if ever we've seen one, If morelos or any of our two starting fullbacks are missing our system goes tits up, we need to be able to adapt to differing situations, going to Tynecastle playing a 433 without the players to play it was suicidal and it cost us

If we changed our shape yesterday and lost you and others would have slated him for changing the shape.

Was it really 433 yesterday because to me it looked far more like Defoe uo front, Aribo and Kent supporting (swapping sides) in behind him with Barasic offering the wing back width.  Ie how we normally set up but shite at it, and nothing down our right for 45 mins.

The RB selection caused an issue, as did 8 players playing far below normal or acceptable levels.

With the personnel available I'm not sure what other (untried) system would have been less of a risk yesterday. 3 at the back? 2 upfront despite us only having 1 fit striker?

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If we changed our shape yesterday and lost you and others would have slated him for changing the shape.

Was it really 433 yesterday because to me it looked far more like Defoe uo front, Aribo and Kent supporting (swapping sides) in behind him with Barasic offering the wing back width.  Ie how we normally set up but shite at it, and nothing down our right for 45 mins.

The RB selection caused an issue, as did 8 players playing far below normal or acceptable levels.

With the personnel available I'm not sure what other (untried) system would have been less of a risk yesterday. 3 at the back? 2 upfront despite us only having 1 fit striker?

For a start we dont leave defoe up front himself, if anything yeah try 3 at the back, play kent up top to link with defoe, try something else given it didnt work against st mirren and we were a lucky deflection off barisics shot from dropping another 2 points

If you are missing the main ingredients of a system then change it, its not difficult to see our struggles

As for moaning if we changed and lost, well we didn't change and were shite again for the 3rd game in a row, 

43 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

For a start we dont leave defoe up front himself, if anything yeah try 3 at the back, play kent up top to link with defoe, try something else given it didnt work against st mirren and we were a lucky deflection off barisics shot from dropping another 2 points

If you are missing the main ingredients of a system then change it, its not difficult to see our struggles

As for moaning if we changed and lost, well we didn't change and were shite again for the 3rd game in a row, 

Gerrard couldn't have envisaged so many being so poor. And after seeing what he's said about him I dont think  he anticipated Flanagan not even at least trying to do what he did v st Mirren but didnt yesterday in an attacking sense. I'm not sure given how poor they were in a system they know that they'd have been better in a new system.

You seem not to have confirmed or denied you'd have slated Gerrard if he changed our shape with an untried system and we lost.

Some of our best games away have come with Davis who I'm a big admirer off out injured and Jack in the middle on his own I think Davis and Jack  stifle each others play a bit, I guess we will see with Jack out injured now.

22 minutes ago, Smile said:

Some of our best games away have come with Davis who I'm a big admirer off out injured and Jack in the middle on his own I think Davis and Jack  stifle each others play a bit, I guess we will see with Jack out injured now.

I agree they do not usually complement each other, when Davis is playing it means Jack goes to the right and he never plays just as well IMO. 

I hope Jack is  not out for long. 

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I agree they do not usually complement each other, when Davis is playing it means Jack goes to the right and he never plays just as well IMO. 

I hope Jack is  not out for long. 

I don't know if he is out I just presume he could be, may just be a knock.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Gerrard couldn't have envisaged so many being so poor. And after seeing what he's said about him I dont think  he anticipated Flanagan not even at least trying to do what he did v st Mirren but didnt yesterday in an attacking sense. I'm not sure given how poor they were in a system they know that they'd have been better in a new system.

You seem not to have confirmed or denied you'd have slated Gerrard if he changed our shape with an untried system and we lost.

I cant confirm or deny because it would depend on what shape he played, if it was something stupid then he'd get slated, but if he made a genuine attempt at playing to the available players strengths then no i wouldnt have slated him

Personally id have played 352 at Tynecastle, 

Goldson, edmunson, katic

Aribo, jack, davis, barisic 

Arfield

Kent, defoe

Press high, arfield linking the midfield and the attack, and switching with kent every so often to drag the defence all over the place

Our current 433 system relies on the striker taking the ball in and bringing others into play and creating space for others to use, that is the absolute complete opposite of how defoe has played his entire career, we seen it not work last wed but for some reason we thought going away to hearts it would suddenly change, absolutely suicidal 

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I cant confirm or deny because it would depend on what shape he played, if it was something stupid then he'd get slated, but if he made a genuine attempt at playing to the available players strengths then no i wouldnt have slated him

Goldson, edmunson, katic

Arfield

Kent, defoe

Press high, arfield linking the midfield and the attack, and switching with kent every so often to drag the defence all over the place

Our current 433 system relies on the striker taking the ball in and bringing others into play and creating space for others to use, that is the absolute complete opposite of how defoe has played his entire career, we seen it not work last wed but for some reason we thought going away to hearts it would suddenly change, absolutely suicidal 

Aribo, you are kidding right?

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Goldson, edmunson, katic

Arfield

Kent, defoe

He'd have rightly got fucking slaughtered for trying that and losing having never tried it before competitively. Surely you can see that and why.

I actually hope the above is a wind up but doubt it.  Mate to come up with that as the best solution rather than just admit Polster / Patterson instead of Flanagan would have been the best solution as it would have offered us more towards our normal shape is honestly the most mental thing I've read in a very long time on here.

6 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He'd have rightly got fucking slaughtered for trying that and losing having never tried it before competitively. Surely you can see that and why.

I actually hope the above is a wind up but doubt it.  Mate to come up with that as the best solution rather than just admit Polster / Patterson instead of Flanagan would have been the best solution as it would have offered us more towards our normal shape is honestly the most mental thing I've read in a very long time on here.

Why do you keep focusing on our right back when up front was an even bigger issue, defoe was lost, isolated, never in the game and never likely to be and one attacking fullback was never gonna change that ffs

43 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Why do you keep focusing on our right back when up front was an even bigger issue, defoe was lost, isolated, never in the game and never likely to be and one attacking fullback was never gonna change that ffs

At least 20 times ive commented why the inclusion of Flanagan, causing us our shape to be lop sided, with the opposition then swamping our left hand side, was central to our tactics failing. One more attack minded player in his place could have rectified the shape issue.  That's not to say the outcome would have changed when more than half the team were shite, but at least the system that has served us well with wide outlets from full backs right and left would have helped.  And 1 personnel change would have done this rather than your alien 352, that's why imo its central to Sunday's failings.

Look at the training session video, all balls knocked out wide to around 18 yard box then whipped across 6 yard line or to man supporting from edge of the box. With no such person on the right, and Hearts able to overload instead on the left, our system was fucked until Polster replaced Flanagan.

In in no way saying upfront wasnt a huge issue, but I think much of that was due to what I'm explaining for the 21st or so time now. All of which was entirely predictable and why Gerrard is at fault for selecting him as much as the shit show by Flanagan.

Archived