53 years, 2nd of January 1971.

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Absolutely.  I know these words about going to games as my mum said the same to me.   I was 19 at the time and me and my mates were at the game but instead of going down the stairway we decided to go through the wee tunnel at the back of the "Derry" shed and down the track beside the railway line.  It brought us out at  bottom of the stairway.   An unbelievable sight which nobody really grasped the enormity of it at the time.  Me and a pal (Davie Currie) ended up about 40 minutes late back to our bus and the bus convener started to give us a moan until we told them what had happened.  Only person I ever spoke to about it again for about 40 years was the late Stuart MacQuarrie who was on our bus that day.  

Was at the top of the stairway when Colin Stein scored and there were rumblings in the queue for the underground and even in at The Central Station that something had happened at the stadium.
Even in the town it wasn't certain as to what had actually happened and not sure if anybody knew where i was that night.
Positive it took a while for it to hit home as to where we were when the actual tragedy took place. 

6 hours ago, scottyscott1963 said:

Every 2nd of January i shed a tear for the boys of Markinch and every life lost and for some reason i cannot stop today.
In all the the 53 years it has never had this much affect on me.
This was a day that happened in a beautiful life following Rangers and i will never forget that particular day.
A life which shared every human emotion. :rip:
RIP my friends.

I know what you mean.   As the years pass I reflect on my life since then which the 66 souls never got to fulfil.  It makes you appreciate what you have had in life.  I actually hate games on this date.  It just doesn't sit right with me.

2 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

I know what you mean.   As the years pass I reflect on my life since then which the 66 souls never got to fulfil.  It makes you appreciate what you have had in life.  I actually hate games on this date.  It just doesn't sit right with me.

Felt so sad yesterday for the hurt and loss of all connected to that day.
Can also relate to never really speaking about it for all those years mate.