Steven Davis

16 minutes ago, The Beast said:

When did this bullshit of 6's, 8's, 10's etc creep it's way into our football vernacular.

People generally were not using this phrasology just a few years ago.

Is it an Americanism? 

It's been about since I was young and that's over 30 years ago.

It went away for a bit with people describing the position for a while, but generally a 10 has been the second striker or attack midfielder forever.

57 minutes ago, J-Maestro said:

It's been about since I was young and that's over 30 years ago.

It went away for a bit with people describing the position for a while, but generally a 10 has been the second striker or attack midfielder forever.

The  lazy spiv position someone called it.

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

When did this bullshit of 6's, 8's, 10's etc creep it's way into our football vernacular.

People generally were not using this phrasology just a few years ago.

Is it an Americanism? 

The concept of a number 10 has been around for ages. 

Maradonna usually played with 10 on his back and was devastating in the role.

However, it sometimes gets used as an excuse for a player who doesn't have the pace to play wide, the finishing to be an out and out striker or the tackling to play in midfield.  So a player who is reasonably skillful and and can make the odd pass gets labelled as "really a number 10".  The problem with a mediocre no 10 is that trying to fit them into a team can weaken other areas.  Which is exactly where we are now.  Thomas Buffel was another one who was difficult to fit into the team.

As for 6s and 8s - fuck knows and that does seem BS to me as well.

Whilst I do think we miss the best version of Davis...

I think you could say the same about the best version of any decent player, whether its Defoe, Morelos, Aribo, Arfield, Barry Ferguson, Gough, Laudrup, Durrant, Numan, Greig... etc etc

Course a player that's done well is going to improve a side that's not doing well...

Need to look to the future now, not think of those in the past. Club needs investment and needs a structure revamp from youth, to recruitment to management