international rangers fans

scottishtuner

I live in America one of the hardest places to be a hard core football fan as alot of people are clueless or if they do know anything about it they know 2 things.

1. that david beckham plays

2. that there is a team called Manchester united.

most of them dont even know where Scotland is but thats not my point, my point is that there is no where to let all my passion for rangers out it is also really hard to see a game unless u pay 10 dollars to see it on the internet(and thats only league games). And worst of all there is no where to buy your rangers gear without paying the high shipping charges.

Does anyone else have this problem? and does anyone have a solution?

cheers! :rangers:

Preaching to the choir m8. A lot better now than prior to the 'net, though - at least it's easier to stay in touch via forums like this and the live game feeds.

Kind of pricey, yes - but this is after all the Gers were talking about. Eating, mortgage and monthly bills be damned. ;)

I live in America one of the hardest places to be a hard core football fan as alot of people are clueless or if they do know anything about it they know 2 things.

most of them dont even know where Scotland is but thats not my point, my point is that there is no where to let all my passion for rangers out it is also really hard to see a game unless u pay 10 dollars to see it on the internet(and thats only league games). And worst of all there is no where to buy your rangers gear without paying the high shipping charges.

I know exactly what you are talking about...wee Scotland mate, you only need to go to the other side of Europe and most folks say this island is England and Scotland is just part of it

Scottish football will always be like it is living in the shadows of the big boys in England etc...christ we cant even get recognised on Eurosport eurogoals :craphead:

Well, where are you located? I could set you up with a NARSA club. Also, I have spent some time getting my Rangers gear directly through UMBRO distributors. If a store has an UMBRO catalogue you can order in items without the international posting fee.

Hey mate, you should watch matches on the net, there a few good sites online where you only have to donate a couple quid/free. As for supporting its rough. I'm in Korea at the moment doing research, so I end getting up in the middle of the night to watch Gers, Fulham, PSV, and Standard Leige in Belgium. I've supported Rangers since 1999 when Claudio Reyna arrived there, and they have proven an excellent club. As for football in America, I talk about it everyday with friends. The key will be the long term development of the domestic league the MLS, which has come a long way, and still has far to go. Still a few of the top sides in America could certainly compete in the SPL, which is a physical rather than technical league.

I live with a bunch of soccer fans/players and have a lot of friends in the area from various areas of europe. but I do know what you're talking about. It can be rough. especially as a Rangers fan. my brother and another friend are the only other supporters I know. Everyone else cheers Celtic if they cheer an SPL team at all.

CR's suggestion about picking up the gear is a great one.

Also look for local bars that cary Setanta Premium. You can catch some games there. Champions League play will make it a lot easier to actually catch a game here and there too.

Where are you located? That makes a bit of a difference too. If you're anywhere near Michigan we're watching the CL games tomorrow and Wenesday.

And actually, all the Canadian and American fans, where is everyone located?

Don't know how PC it is to point this out, but you don't have to pay to watch live matches if your're out of the UK. You can use streaming tv online from sites like

http://www.myp2p.eu/Weekdays.htm and http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/

Beats paying 5 pounds for every league match and hell freezing over (which is when Rangers will be shown on ESPN2 [except maybe Barca]).

I know exactly what you are talking about...wee Scotland mate, you only need to go to the other side of Europe and most folks say this island is England and Scotland is just part of it

Scottish football will always be like it is living in the shadows of the big boys in England etc...christ we cant even get recognised on Eurosport eurogoals :craphead:

Spot on FISH. Most people here in the States think that the Union Jack is the flag of England, that the term "British" is synonymous with "English", etc. :2g: Does my heid right in...

I have just subscribed to Sentanta sports through my local cable television. I pay $15 a month. Which is what I was paying to watch the game at my local NARSA club in Calgary.

The bonus is I dont have to get up at 6am on a Saturday (not often I did that anyway) in the morning as I can tape the game or try and sneak out of work to watch it during the week. Now the only problem with that is you are not always going to get it live as the game against Stuttgart will not be shown until Friday. Which means laying low for a couple of days and not going on this site or any other site which will show the result. Which is pretty hard to do but can be done as the locals don't take much interest in it. Or you find out the score and watch it anyway. But they do show at least a couple on the same day so you have a 50-50 chance of getting the game on the same day.

I have just subscribed to Sentanta sports through my local cable television. I pay $15 a month. Which is what I was paying to watch the game at my local NARSA club in Calgary.

The bonus is I dont have to get up at 6am on a Saturday (not often I did that anyway) in the morning as I can tape the game or try and sneak out of work to watch it during the week. Now the only problem with that is you are not always going to get it live as the game against Stuttgart will not be shown until Friday. Which means laying low for a couple of days and not going on this site or any other site which will show the result. Which is pretty hard to do but can be done as the locals don't take much interest in it. Or you find out the score and watch it anyway. But they do show at least a couple on the same day so you have a 50-50 chance of getting the game on the same day.

Setanta Premium is supposed to be showing this weeks game live. Check their venue locator to see if you've got a bar in your area that will be carrying it. Plus you can have a few drinks. Then you can decide whether it's worth watching again on Friday at home. Hopefully it will be.

http://130.94.23.190/navenuefinder.html

most of them dont even know where Scotland is

A few years back I was in a sports shop in NY (buying some NY Rangers gear as it happens) and the shop assistant was trying to get me to take a loyalty card. I explained that it's no good to me because I live in Scotland.

'Scotland!' she said. 'Where is it?'

Thing is I know she meant 'Which State is it in?', her face was a picture of complete confusion when after a few seconds I answered 'Europe'.

TBH I suspect she was wondering why I hadn't just told her which State Europe is in....

most of them dont even know where Scotland is

A few years back I was in a sports shop in NY (buying some NY Rangers gear as it happens) and the shop assistant was trying to get me to take a loyalty card. I explained that it's no good to me because I live in Scotland.

'Scotland!' she said. 'Where is it?'

Thing is I know she meant 'Which State is it in?', her face was a picture of complete confusion when after a few seconds I answered 'Europe'.

TBH I suspect she was wondering why I hadn't just told her which State Europe is in....

Actually i had that same problem in Calgary.

I was only a kid when i was outside kicking a ball around when got chatting to a few local kids..,when i say kids i mean teenagers...they asked if i was English.."no i'm Scottish".....is that Ireland then was the answer.

Glad to say that's not the norm in Canada.

This is an interesting thread I have to say.

For me, it was only since joining RM and visiting Canada that I began to appreciate the difficulties facing Canadian and

US-based Bears. Plus Bears based all over the world.

What strikes me is the (unfortunate) lack of input and help from the club, which is deeply disappointing.

There is a massive fan-base world-wide, untapped because of our inadequate efforts to welcome overseas Gers, in my opinion.

I would love to see much more pro-active measures taken by the club to make forward strides here.

How many overseas Bears visit Scotland every year ? I dont know the figures, but its in the THOUSANDS.

So, please Rangers make life a little bit better for all the guys and gals based overseas. ITS MORE THAN DESERVED.

some great suggestions guys and i live in Houston Texas a hot bed for ignorance. There is a local chapter haven't visited yet as its 30 or so minutes away and didn't get up early enough but im going to try and go for one of the next old firms. I do have one person i know who is a rangers fan nearby and an Aberdeen fan but thats really it. O and i asked my local Umbro dealer and they got me one from two years ago saying that umbro wouldn't ship them the new ones any ideas why?

I definitely received many "You have an accent! Are you Australian!" growing up in rural ontario. Umm no, good try though.... I completely agree with what everyone has been saying. It is difficult enough to find people who think football is an actual sport, I am just happy enough when people follow any team and even better, when they know anything about Rangers. Where I'm from, I have never met anyone who follows Rangers. While NARSA is completely fabulous in my opinion, the closest club is 2 hours away and as a university student, it is completely impractical to travel out there. Thank God for RM, online streaming of matches, and sports channels.

I've received letters from the club saying how important international support is to them, that they put incredible time, effort, and funds into fostering international recognition, and that one of their primary missions is supporting international fans. It's infuriating that no results are actually seen from these supposed initiatives when everytime I look I see more people jumping on the Celtic bandwagon (and the EPL/La Liga/Serie A glamour teams) because of their visibility. It's just too bad that Rangers seem to be avoiding the mass market of North American sporting culture.

It's even more sad that few will experience the pure joy of supporting the Gers.

I definitely received many "You have an accent! Are you Australian!" growing up in rural ontario. Umm no, good try though.... I completely agree with what everyone has been saying. It is difficult enough to find people who think football is an actual sport, I am just happy enough when people follow any team and even better, when they know anything about Rangers. Where I'm from, I have never met anyone who follows Rangers. While NARSA is completely fabulous in my opinion, the closest club is 2 hours away and as a university student, it is completely impractical to travel out there. Thank God for RM, online streaming of matches, and sports channels.

I've received letters from the club saying how important international support is to them, that they put incredible time, effort, and funds into fostering international recognition, and that one of their primary missions is supporting international fans. It's infuriating that no results are actually seen from these supposed initiatives when everytime I look I see more people jumping on the Celtic bandwagon (and the EPL/La Liga/Serie A glamour teams) because of their visibility. It's just too bad that Rangers seem to be avoiding the mass market of North American sporting culture.

It's even more sad that few will experience the pure joy of supporting the Gers.

Yea i have learned to talk without an accent because of high school in Texas is brutal. o and actually there are three or four rangers supporters in my school and they only support because they win.

mate u don't even no thats why i dropped my accent fast, very "proud" (arrogant) people Texans don't really like foreigners. wish i was in Glasgow!

highschool can be rough anyway. you'll want to hang onto that accent when you get into college. the girls love it.

Easy solution mate - move away from America! Great up here in Toronto.... lots of Gers clubs.

No good solution to the Rangers gear problem. Usually just buy it when I go back home - which is at least once per year.