Captains Role- 3 questions

Ted E Bayer

For your obvious reluctance to see Barry Ferguson return as our club Captain the way the majority of your fellow Gers fans do. Can you tell me, in your opinion:

--What makes a good captain in your eyes?

--What Barry does that makes him an inadequate captain?

--Who at Rangers would you prefer to see as captain?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

a good captain a leader of men someone who leads by example on the pitch and off it barry should not be captain imo because he left through his own choice when he was in his prime to a liitle english club and when things are going wrong points the finger at the other players imo the captain should be dado prso till the end of the season the stevie smith

The majority of rangers fans want barry back as captain ? Phone round was there ?

As captain, the prime role is leadership and representing the club properly

Barry has failed in both of these counbts in my opinion

He did not display leadership - he shouted and moaned - that is not leadership, any wee ned could do that. Did you ever see barry have a quite word with someone, did you ever see him encourage ratrher than scowl ? Motivation and inspiration are about more than just shouting

He did not represent the club well in that he and his brother were constantly leaking stories to the press, constantly telling tales out of school. Neither of the two Fergusons are actually very bright and it shows. They may be gifted footballers but they do lack intelligence.

At Rangers right now I would have had Prso as captain, he displays those qualities in a much more strategic way than ferguson.

A Rangers captain should inspire others to perform better, it is obvious that Ferguson never managed to do that this year or last.

At what point does someone say that we have been rotten for a year and a half so just shouting at everyone and blaming them for everything clearly isn't making anyone play better

The most startling thing for me was to discover that we have never lost a game in the league this year when barry was not playing, but all 6 games we have lost in the league have been when barry was captain - that tells you that barry may be edoing many things but he ain't inspiring the others, because they all perform better as a team in terms of results when he is not there.

now you tell me what he has actually done as captain this year to justify his position.

a good captain a leader of men someone who leads by example on the pitch and off it barry should not be captain imo because he left through his own choice when he was in his prime to a liitle english club and when things are going wrong points the finger at the other players imo the captain should be dado prso till the end of the season the stevie smith

I believe Barry to be a leader on and off the field. On the field he is no different from Greg, Butcher and Gough. His performances are not enough and he sometimes even takes games by the scruff of the neck by his own accord. What more can you ask? Off the field he is Rangers Charity king and outwith that even donated all assets from his book to charity, what more could you ask?

Ahh I didn't know you were one of the ones who still held his departure and return against him. Things become a little clearer as to your point of view. But that's your point of view which we have to respect.

I agree Dado would also make an excellent captain. Steven Smith might a little young and too inexperienced to take over from Dado next year.

And the other lads?

The most startling thing for me was to discover that we have never lost a game in the league this year when barry was not playing, but all 6 games we have lost in the league have been when barry was captain - that tells you that barry may be edoing many things but he ain't inspiring the others, because they all perform better as a team in terms of results when he is not there.

now you tell me what he has actually done as captain this year to justify his position.

blah blah blah!!!

you can do anything you want with stats

ie. our worst result under Le Guen came when Gavin Rae was captain and Barry Ferguson wasn't playing.

For your obvious reluctance to see Barry Ferguson return as our club Captain the way the majority of your fellow Gers fans do. Can you tell me, in your opinion:

--What makes a good captain in your eyes?

--What Barry does that makes him an inadequate captain?

--Who at Rangers would you prefer to see as captain?

A good captain leads by example....what if all the players decided not to listen to the manager and did their own thing on the park ? Chaos

A good captain does not go squealing to the press because he has been dropped.

A good captain does not lead players out on social night against the manegr's instructions.

A good captain does not think he is bigger than the club.

The majority of rangers fans want barry back as captain ?? Phone round was there ?

Barry has failed in both of these counts in my opinion

He did not display leadership - he shouted and moaned - that is not leadership, any wee ned could do that.? Did you ever see barry have a quite word with someone, did you ever see him encourage ratrher than scowl ?? Motivation and inspiration are about more than just shouting

He did not represent the club well in that he and his brother were constantly leaking stories to the press, constantly telling tales out of school.? Neither of the two Fergusons are actually very bright and it shows.? They may be gifted footballers but they do lack intelligence.

At Rangers right now I would have had Prso as captain, he displays those qualities in a much more strategic way than ferguson.

A Rangers captain should inspire others to perform better, it is obvious that Ferguson never managed to do that this year or last.

At what point does someone say that we have been rotten for a year and a half so just shouting at everyone and blaming them for everything clearly isn't making anyone play better

"Barry has failed in both of these counts in my opinion" Explain please?

I don't care about Barry's brother Derek, who cares what he blabbers about, it's irrelevant to this post.

Your blaming Barry's inclusion in the squad for our poor season so far, he's the reason we lost those 6 games? Nothing to do with the fact that not only was our manager choosing to play an absolute dud of a keeper or the fact that our defense crumbled before our eyes and was rotated more times than a rotary watch!? You blame Barry for this?

Can I have a pint of that funny stuff you're drinking mate? (beer) hehe just kidding.

Barry moans and groans and yes I've seen him have a word in players ears but usually he's too busy making up for players mistakes and playing in more than one position when it's clear some of our players (under Le Guen) are completely incapable.

-He's a leader

-He's our best footballer and fantastic player at that

-He bleeds blue

-He's been at the club as a boy

-He understands Rangers and the institution that we are

-He knows what Rangers are about as a team

-and most importantly out of all of these attributes, he's a winner!!

That's what he's done for Ranger and that's what justifies his position. (tu) <bouncy> <bouncy> <bouncy>

Listen to yourself.

You sound like a Tim

The majority of rangers fans want barry back as captain ?? Phone round was there ?

He did not display leadership - he shouted and moaned - that is not leadership, any wee ned could do that.? Did you ever see barry have a quite word with someone, did you ever see him encourage ratrher than scowl ?? Motivation and inspiration are about more than just shouting

He did not represent the club well in that he and his brother were constantly leaking stories to the press, constantly telling tales out of school.? Neither of the two Fergusons are actually very bright and it shows.? They may be gifted footballers but they do lack intelligence.

"Barry has failed in both of these counts in my opinion"

Explain please?

Your blaming Barry's inclusion in the squad for our poor season so far, he's the reason we lost those 6 games? Nothing to do with the fact that not only was our manager choosing to play an absolute dud of a keeper or the fact that our defense crumbled before our eyes and was rotated more times than a rotary watch!? You blame Barry for this?

Can I have a pint of that funny stuff you're drinking mate? (beer) hehe just kidding.

Barry moans and groans and yes I've seen him have a word in players ears but usually he's too busy making up for players mistakes and playing in more than one position when it's clear some of our players (under Le Guen) are completely incapable.

-He's a leader

-He bleeds blue

That's what he's done for Ranger and that's what justifies his position. (tu) <bouncy> <bouncy> <bouncy>

you tell them mate. (tu)

Listen to yourself.

You sound like a Tim

another class comeback (wve)

good captains are a rare breed

they need respect from all the players on the field

for whatever the reasons he wasnt getting it

for me there is only one man that gets that prso

would like to see barry just get back to what hes good at

playing football

At the start of the season everyone all over the land was raving about how well we were playing. We where unbeaten after 6 games until Barry came back from injury, then we lost to hibs and Celtic and the football went down the pan. Alot of that is definately down to poor tactics and signings like Papac and Sebo, and putting Letizi in goal :wacko: but I can't help wondering if Barry is really as good a player some people think he is, and if he has been a bad influence on the team.

Not one of you was ever against Fergie being captain before so why are you against it now?

Because he has considered himself bigger than the club.

Who does he think he is to disobey the manager's on field instructions ?

Who does he think he is to organise a social function against the manager's wishes ?

Are you happy that Fergie spoke to the likes of Peter McGuire ? (aka Martin) a guy who cant conceal his haterd of Rangers ?

He is our best player by far....and certainly the most iconic Ranger at the club. That does not mean he is entitled to flaunt the manager's rules.

What if every player went squealing to the press every time things did not go their way ?

He is not captain material

they need respect from all the players on the field

for whatever the reasons he wasnt getting it

I think you're referring to the manager when you say this but if you do mean the Captain:

Tell what players at Rangers do not respect Barry Ferguson? Name but one, I'm entrigued. (tu)

Not one of you was ever against Fergie being captain before so why are you against it now?

Who does he think he is to organise a social function against the manager's wishes ?

Are you happy that Fergie spoke to the likes of Peter McGuire ? (aka Martin) a guy who cant conceal his haterd of Rangers ?

He is our best player by far....and certainly the most iconic Ranger at the club. That does not mean he is entitled to flaunt the manager's rules.

What if every player went squealing to the press every time things did not go their way ?

could'nt have said it better (tu)

A good captain leads by example....what if all the players decided not to listen to the manager and did their own thing on the park ? Chaos

A good captain does not go squealing to the press because he has been dropped.

A good captain does not lead players out on social night against the manegr's instructions.

A good captain does not think he is bigger than the club.

So Fergie didn't do what he was told on the pitch? - From what i've heard the only thing Le Guen really said was that Ferguson undermined him. At no time did he give examples of the behaviour. Ok he dropped deep to get the ball......does this mean fergie deserved to be told you will never play for the club again???

Squealling to the press?? The people he phoned were mates. Iain King was his biographer and good friends with Ferguson. Anyway its not as if he was leaking a story that the club wanted to be kept quiet.....the fans were going to find out he was dropped when the team at Firpark was named.

So Ferguson says jump off a cliff and all the players will yeah??? 21 players went on the night out, if it was such an issue i'm sure some of the players would have stayed away.

At what point has Ferguson said he is bigger than the club??????? Load of rubbish spouted by people that just don't like Ferguson.

At the start of the season everyone all over the land was raving about how well we were playing. We where unbeaten after 6 games until Barry came back from injury, then we lost to hibs and Celtic and the football went down the pan. Alot of that is definately down to poor tactics and signings like Papac and Sebo, and putting Letizi in goal :wacko: but I can't help wondering if Barry is really as good a player some people think he is, and if he has been a bad influence on the team.

Keep wondering matey, it's wasn't due to the Barry Boy returning.

Listen to yourself.

You sound like a Tim

Here here Eric. (beer1)

KeepBelieving1873 answered for me.

The conclusion is clear. Some people will never like him. No matter how much we big him up and give the facts, people will never like him and for that reason we'll never agree.

As long as we all still love our team and are together that's all that matters.

WATP!! (All of us) <bouncy> <bouncy> <bouncy>

The majority of rangers fans want barry back as captain ?  Phone round was there ?

He did not display leadership - he shouted and moaned - that is not leadership, any wee ned could do that.  Did you ever see barry have a quite word with someone, did you ever see him encourage ratrher than scowl ?  Motivation and inspiration are about more than just shouting

He did not represent the club well in that he and his brother were constantly leaking stories to the press, constantly telling tales out of school.  Neither of the two Fergusons are actually very bright and it shows.  They may be gifted footballers but they do lack intelligence.

"Barry has failed in both of these counts in my opinion" Explain please?

I don't care about Barry's brother Derek, who cares what he blabbers about, it's irrelevant to this post.

-He's a leader

-He bleeds blue

No I am not blaming barry for those defeats

I am saying that he spectacularly fails to inspire others. He is a faiolure as a captain of Rangers

Running about shouting at everyone else does not make you inspirational - getting players to play above themselves is inspirational -

We keep hearing that the team's attitude is not right against the bottom 6 in the league - how can this be with Captain marvel pinning people to the wall , bawling in their ears ?

The facts demonstrate that we are unbeaten in the league without Ferguson therefore clearly these duds are playing above themseloves when barry is not there.

As for the scum behaviour running to the press, you can assume that that is why hye was given the biggest rollicking of his life from Murray

-He's a leader - clearly he is not - he is a bully

-He's our best footballer and fantastic player at that - yep he is - not a criteria for being captain

-He bleeds blue - no he doesn't , he bleeds red like everyone else -

-He's been at the club as a boy - and ?

-He understands Rangers and the institution that we are - but not enough to understand you don't behave like scum and go running behind the club's ack to the media who want to undermine our club

-He knows what Rangers are about as a team - and ?

-and most importantly out of all of these attributes, he's a winner!! - not in the last wee while he is not and he has led us to 6 defeats in the league this year

Listen to yourself.

You sound like a Tim

Here here Eric. (beer1)

come on a tim because i dont think somebody who walked out on us should be captain (wve)

KeepBelieving1873 answered for me.

The conclusion is clear. Some people will never like him. No matter how much we big him up and give the facts, people will never like him and for that reason we'll never agree.

As long as we all still love our team and are together that's all that matters.

WATP!! (All of us) <bouncy> <bouncy> <bouncy>

Ted dont make me laugh....and dont go inferring that I dont like Barry Ferguson just because you are unable to answer the points I have made.

The points I have made are FACTS...you can run away from them if you like....but they wont go away.

You asked why I dont think he should be captain...I have listed the reasons.