Scotland team to face Italy

port_bear

------------------------ Gordon ------------------------

Hutton ------- McManus ------ Weir ------- Naysmith

Fletcher ----- Ferguson © --- Brown ---- McCulloch

---------------- Boyd ------- McFadden ----------------

I reckon this is our strongest starting 11 (on paper anyway) and this is the team I would go with against the Italians. However I reckon McLeish with start with Boyd on the bench with either Hartley (in a holding midfield role) or Miller (lone striker with McFadden supporting) playing instead in a 4-5-1 formation.

-----------------------Gordon-------------------------------

Hutton--------McManus----------Weir---------Alexander

Fletcher-------Fergie--------Brown--------McCulloch

--------------------McFadden---------------------

-------------------------Miller-----------------------

I would rather see Boyd in the team ahead of Miller as Boyd would be more of a goal threat that "headless chicken" that is Kenny Miller....

I would swap Brown and fletcher - brown will do a better job wide right with Hutton as back up, and Fletcher can pick a thru ball (like the one for Boydy v South Africa) from the middle.

-----------------------Gordon-------------------------------

Hutton--------McManus----------Weir---------Alexander

Fletcher-------Fergie--------Brown--------McCulloch

--------------------McFadden---------------------

-------------------------Miller-----------------------

I would rather see Boyd in the team ahead of Miller as Boyd would be more of a goal threat that "headless chicken" that is Kenny Miller....

Sorry, I posted who I think will start, I'd rather see Boyd starting but that would be having two dedicated strikers, whereaas I think McFadden might play a sort of Striker/Midfield role.

...................................Gordon

Hutton................Weir...............Mcmanus..............Naysmith

...................................Hartley

Brown..............Fletcher..............Ferguson.............Mculloch

.....................................?????

Think we definitely need to go 4-1-4-1, a 5 man midfield is a definite, and as much as I dont like Hartley, him Ferguson and Fletcher will definitely be able to cope with Pirlo and Gattuso.

But who tae play up front? Faddys been outstanding so its hard to drop him. Millers been injured and probably no fit, so its hard to play him. But they both can do different jobs. Maybe start wae Faddy then bring on Miller last 30mins or so to do his heedless chicken act? Start wae Miller and try n tire the Tally defence, then bring on Faddy to run them ragged?

Its a tough one.

If he goes 4-4-2 (and I mean proper 4-4-2) then Boyds a definite starter. Otherwise leave him to come of the bench.

...................................Gordon

Hutton................Weir...............Mcmanus..............Naysmith

...................................Hartley

Brown..............Fletcher..............Ferguson.............Mculloch

.....................................?????

Think we definitely need to go 4-1-4-1, a 5 man midfield is a definite, and as much as I dont like Hartley, him Ferguson and Fletcher will definitely be able to cope with Pirlo and Gattuso.

But who tae play up front? Faddys been outstanding so its hard to drop him. Millers been injured and probably no fit, so its hard to play him. But they both can do different jobs. Maybe start wae Faddy then bring on Miller last 30mins or so to do his heedless chicken act? Start wae Miller and try n tire the Tally defence, then bring on Faddy to run them ragged?

Its a tough one.

If he goes 4-4-2 (and I mean proper 4-4-2) then Boyds a definite starter. Otherwise leave him to come of the bench.

Thats a strong looking line up Jasper and If you put McFadden up top in that line up then I wont be disapointed if that was the team that starts (like you said though if he play two up top Boyd is a must)....

Maloney for McCulloch would be the only change I would make.

Italy play three central midfielders and therefore play very narrow, leaving lots of space in the wide areas.

Miller to start upfront as he is better at running across defenders and playing on the shoulder than McFadden is.

If Hutton wasn't in the team then I wouldn't play Fletcher or Brown wide right either as it would leave the side seriously lacking in width

Maloney for McCulloch would be the only change I would make.

Italy play three central midfielders and therefore play very narrow, leaving lots of space in the wide areas.

Miller to start upfront as he is better at running across defenders and playing on the shoulder than McFadden is.

If Hutton wasn't in the team then I wouldn't play Fletcher or Brown wide right either as it would leave the side seriously lacking in width

:ohmy: About Maloney/McCulloch!

Agree 100%, his delivery could be very useful!

I'd love to agree about Kenny, but McFadden has something special and I just can't drop him.