Hatton Vs. Mayweather thread

Its the wrong fight at welter weight Mayweather will be to slick and strong, if it goes past 5-6 rounds cant see Mayweather loseing. I hope im wrong.

i dont think Mayweather will be too strong/big

hatton had problems against Collazo when he went up to 147lb last time, but that was cos he had less time to prepare, and more importantly, collazo was a big guy for welterweight who would have been significantly more than 147 at the time of the fight

this time ricky has been preparing for 147 for a long time, and once again importantly, Mayweather stays within 3 or 4 pounds of the welterweight limit when he is not in preperation for the fight (compared to hatton who pies his way up the pounds = this time he wont have too lose as much weight and can focus on his condition more)

but i agree that Mayweather is incredibly slick, as a pure boxer he is untouchable. Still a total dick though

When i said strong i meant stamina. Dont see Hatton doing much leaning and pushing as Mayweather will be on the back foot to much. Mayweather will ride the storm, hit his rythem and see the fight out. Again i hope im wrong.

Mayweather is still a total dick. (tu)

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watching Sky Sports lead up to this fight. Mayweather is from here in Grand Rapids. He's very good. But he's also way too arrogant for my taste. Does anyone think that Hatton has a chance? I'd love to see Mayweather go down.

Good post Ian. Ive seen both (on tv) and both are good no question.

I see Hatton winning early, 5th or 6th round.

that's pretty bold. i hope that you're right. you putting any money on it?

I will stick a fiver on Hatton to win, any round by TKO.

im pissed, Love boxing and love hatton and been waiting for this fight for ages. Then about a month ago the Mrs tells me she has booked us a holiday to Disney is Florida for our anniversary. I ask her what dates and she says our final night is Dec 8th! The Stupid Slag! How many times did I tell her about this fight. Now according to Disney, none of their establishments will be showing the fight

My last hope will be to pass the concierge some of the folding stuff so he can find a spot in Orlando itself.

URGH!

LOL!!! Same here mate, girlfriend has booked us to go to euro disney this weekend, gutted im going to miss it. I more pissed off cause we have just come back from florida in oct

i think Hatton will KO Mayweather, i can see Hatton just workign him down thru the first 5-6 rounds then KO`in him, Hatton when he is fight fit can go the distance easily and the boy has some jaw on him, can take some heavy punches.

Watched Hatton/Mayweather 24/7 laast night :) great program.

Hattons just a normo guy , who is very gd at sumthing he loves, but dosent let it go to his head.

Mayweathers just a prick :lol: lets be honest lol. I think hatton has got under his skin and i really hope hatton ko's him, as i cant wait to see his reaction when he gets bk up :lol:

I think if hatton KO's him he will get up and shake his hand and be gentlemanly about it - his whole ego thing is just an act IMO. He uses it to get under the skin of opponents and it works, but hatton is too smart to let it get to him and his response has frustrated mayweather as he is not used to people just laughing at him :lol:

Im not to sure hel get up and shake his hand blueben, I hope he does tho (tu)

I think mayweather does all the stuff to wind up opponents but i also think he truley beleives he canot be beaten etc.

Fair play to him self beleif is important but he does go on a bit :lol:

As Hatton said " we all know ur good Floyd, no1s doubting that, so you dont need to keep fuckin tellin us.. shut up ffs " :lol:

unfortunately i think that a lot of it's an act. it says in here that mayweather has been as relaxed as he's ever been leading up to a fight, when the cameras are off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3141192

A lot of people have strong opinions about Floyd Mayweather, and they're not always particularly positive. The conventional wisdom is that he's brash, arrogant and disrespectful. But to some extent, Mayweather himself exaggerates those elements when the cameras are on, fully aware that there is something to be gained from playing the cartoon villain. In quieter moments he can be a completely different person: Polite, relaxed, smiling and generous to the media.

So far during fight week, he has been almost exclusively Good Floyd, perhaps a sign that he feels more confident than he did prior to fighting Oscar De La Hoya -- when he was noticeably more tense and more brusque with his responses to reporters' questions. He has been in good humor, sitting with the media for long sessions both yesterday and today. He even applauded when Ricky Hatton came to the podium during the press conference on Wednesday, and laughed when Hatton's trainer Billy Graham pretended to fall asleep when Roger Mayweather rambled on at great length.

There were moments of tension, of course, and after the press conference, he seemed at times defensive of his legacy and his image. But so far this week, he's been a dream to cover -- much like the always accessible Hatton has also been.

Hatton v Mayweather

Date: Sunday, 9 December

Starts from: 0100 GMT

Watch: Sky pay-per-view

Listen: BBC Radio 5 Live and online (UK only)

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Ricky Hatton insists he is ready to defy his underdog status and beat Floyd Mayweather in what has been billed as the fight of the decade.

The build-up to Saturday's clash steps up a gear with the weigh-in at 2230 GMT on Friday in Las Vegas.

Mayweather has won world titles at five weights and is recognised as the world's best pound-for-pound fighter.

"You can't argue with his record or what he's done but all good things come to an end," Hatton told the BBC.

Interview: Ricky Hatton

Archive: Hatton as a young boxer

"On Saturday night it comes to an end. It will be an eight or nine round stoppage for Ricky Hatton."

Hatton, who has yet to taste defeat in 43 bouts, is not as quick but has steeliness and confidence on his side.

While most boxers arrive in Las Vegas with entourages, Hatton arrives with the whole of Manchester in tow.

The Hitman said of his fans: "They don't just support me, they worship me. They feel like they're my mates. Half of them are my mates."

In the early hours of Sunday, people all over Britain with a minority interest in boxing will be watching him fight.

If the outcome of his bout for the American's WBC welterweight crown were to be decided by public vote, Hatton would win by a landslide.

606: DEBATE

In these PC times, the unprecedented amount of attention given to a Saturday night punch-up has been wonderfully refreshing

the_allrounder

But the sport of boxing is far less sentimental than that and Mayweather's camp are determined Hatton will not claim victory on a wave of emotion.

Mayweather's trainer and uncle Roger said: "We've had Rocky 1 to 6 - we ain't gonna have a Rocky 7."

The 30-year-old Mayweather is a special fighter. In another time, when boxing ruled the world, he might have been a household name to rank alongside the Sugar Rays - Robinson and Leonard - and Muhammad Ali.

But the fact that he isn't doesn't make him any less of a talent.

Yes, he is arrogant. Yes, he is brash. But popularity is not going to be a factor once the bell sounds for the first round at the MGM Grand.

Middleweight legend Bernard Hopkins is one of the few Americans who thinks Hatton, 29, has what it takes to upset the odds.

Constant pressure, non-stop punching, shots thrown from every conceivable angle - Hopkins believes Mayweather will not have experienced anything like it before.

It's a question of styles, Ricky's got the artillery to break him down

Billy Graham

Hatton's trainer

But others, Britain's former super-middleweight world champion Richie Woodhall among them, are not so sure.

Woodhall points out that if Mayweather were to hold his feet and stand toe-to-toe, he would surely struggle with Hatton's onslaughts.

But Mayweather, who despite the flashy demeanour is as prosaic a fighter as they come, is not concerned with putting on a show for the millions watching around the globe.

The hometown fighter, who is undefeated in 38 professional encounters, is only concerned with protecting his record, and if that means moving around the ring and jabbing Hatton's head off for 12 rounds, then so be it.

If the American - who has six inches more reach - decides as expected to fight from long range, there is a risk that Hatton could be clawing at thin air.

As for Hatton's famed body punching, his trainer Billy Graham believes his charge will force a stoppage if he manages to land enough shots to Mayweather's ribs.

But with Mayweather not willing to stand and fight at close-quarters, that's a very big if.

There will be some exciting moments early on, but at the end of the day, Ricky Hatton out-hustles Floyd Mayweather to a 12-round unanimous decision

Bernard Hopkins

There is also the matter of cuts, about which both Hatton and Graham have expressed public concern.

Hatton has a top-class cuts man in Mick Williamson, but Mayweather's right hand, delivered in a slashing motion, could prove to be the decisive weapon.

All in all, not much hope for Hatton then? Well, some have suggested that Mayweather, who has earned approximately $100m [£49.3m] in his career from purses alone, might have gone soft and might be under-estimating his opponent.

As Hopkins puts it, "Can you fight like a hungry man when your refrigerator is full?"

But there was little evidence of complacency in his victory over Oscar de la Hoya back in May, and most American journalists believe he has never trained so hard.

All signs point to a 12-round victory for Mayweather but Hatton's confidence and tenacity will provide his legions of fans with hope.

Just watching Sky Sports lead up to this fight. Mayweather is from here in Grand Rapids. He's very good. But he's also way too arrogant for my taste. Does anyone think that Hatton has a chance? I'd love to see Mayweather go down.

I'm with you mate, love to see Hatton do the bizz, love to see his mate ROOOOOOOOOOONNNNNEEEEYYYYYYY take a few as well though.