Bruce Arena - Scotland job?

J_RFC87

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_2958430,00.html

Former USA coach Bruce Arena has expressed an interest in the vacant Scotland manager's job.

Arena is currently out of work after leaving MLS side New York Red Bulls last month.

The Scottish Football Association is drawing up a list of targets as it seeks to find a replacement for Alex McLeish following his departure to Birmingham.

Arena, who has a wealth of international experience after managing the USA for eight years, is planning to contact the SFA to declare his interest in the Scotland job.

"I am looking to move into British football and I would be very interested in the Scotland vacancy," Arena told the Scottish Daily Mail.

"I will be speaking to my agents this week about getting in touch with the Scottish FA. I believe an American could be a success on the other side of the Atlantic."

And on Monday former USA coach Bruce Arena was quoted saying he was interested in the job.

"I would definitely be very interested in the Scotland vacancy," Arena told The Sun.

"I will be speaking to my agents this week about getting in touch with the SFA and letting them know I am keen.

"I believe an American could be a success on the other side of the Atlantic."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7136054.stm

Probably not a bad shout at all. Done a good job with a rubbish USA team and took them as far as he could (4th in the world I think?)

Could do worse than this guy thats for sure, tbh i dont think theres that much of a gulf in class between USA and Scotland sides so if can take USA decently far in a world cup coudl do the same with Scotland.....Hopefully

no offence but if he is looking to get into british football, and never has before, its a big ask jumping into a national team on the verge of something special. Just doesnt seem like the right move in this case, we need another walter or eck

He can fuck right off.

No history of managing in Europe nevermind Britain, will have little to no knowledge of our history or players and what has he actually ever done?

Qualified for two World cups from that joke of a qualifying group, got the US to 4th in world rankings by beating the Dominican republic, St Kitts and Nevis and occasionally Mexico or Canada, before FIFA changed the rules to take into account they were mostly playing the equivalent of San Marino. Fair enough they beat an aged Portugal team and were unlucky against Germany in 2002, then finished bottom of the group last year. He was then sacked from a MLS team after a year in the job.

I'd even rather have Souness than this tit.

He's a fine coach and I always liked how he did with young talent. But I didn't like how he gave a roster spot to Tony Meola over Tim Howard on several occasions.

To be honest I'm not sure that I like his style for this team.

As for saying that this is too big a step for him, I'm not sure about that. He coached a team that went into the '02 world cup pretty highly ranked and made a pretty good run. It's not like he hasn't been in big situations before.