Pana boss on getting us

Boab

Panathanaikos Fear Gers Euro Pedigree

Dec 23 2007

PANICKING Panathinaikos coach Jose Peseiro insists his side have no chance of victory if Rangers rediscover their early Champions League form.

Walter Smith's men started their European campaign on fire with successive wins over Stuttgart and Lyon and a draw against Barcelona.

They couldn't maintain that and ended with three defeats on the trot in Spain and Germany and at home to Lyon.

That saw them parachute into the UEFA Cup last 32 where they've been paired with Greek side Pana.

And despite their late stutter in the Champions League it's the early form Gers showed that has Pana boss Peseiro running scared.

He said: "I watched Rangers' games and they were the big surprise of the Champions League.

"Perhaps they deserved to go through to the last 16 but the defeat at home to Lyon in the final game was decisive.

"However, if they show the success in front of goal like they did in the early group games then we don't have much of a chance.

"They showed in the Champions League what they can do and it will be hard for us."

Peseiro - whose side thumped Aberdeen 3-0 at home in the UEFA Cup group stages - insists Gers were the draw he dreaded.

He said: "Rangers were not my preferred team. The advantage is we're away first but we need a big performance in Glasgow.

"The atmosphere in Athens will help us but to score at Ibrox is our dream scenario because it would leave us with a lot of possibilities to progress.

"We are playing better in Europe than at home this season and I intend to keep that going.

"We are similar to Rangers, we don't have any superstars but our players work hard for each other.

"I would say it's 50-50 who will go through but the first leg is key."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20263747/