Phil O Donnell Stand

FlippinEck

Main stand tribute to O'Donnell

11 hours ago

Motherwell will rename the main stand at Fir Park the Phil O'Donnell Stand in honour of their club captain who died last month.

The club announced the move on Friday following talks with O'Donnell's family and supporters.

O'Donnell died aged 35 from heart failure after collapsing during a 5-3 victory over Dundee United on December 29.

Motherwell owner John Boyle said: "Since Phil's death there has been a heartfelt desire by everyone associated with Motherwell and throughout the football world to create a lasting memorial to Phil at Fir Park.

"There have been many suggestions put forward on how this should be done and all with the very best of intentions.

"However, the club and our supporters believe the renaming of the main stand as the Phil O'Donnell Stand is entirely fitting in view of the outstanding contribution Phil made to the club over many years.

"We have consulted members of Phil's family who have indicated their support and appreciation of this tribute."

O'Donnell left a widow, Eileen, and four children, Christopher, Olivia, Megan and Luc.

The family said they were "overwhelmed" by the response to O'Donnell's death as thousands left tributes such as scarves, cards, shirts and flowers in a temporary shrine outside the main stand.

Hundreds of fans also lined the streets outside his funeral service in Hamilton last Friday.

Good touch.

seen that on SSN there.

also kits with his sig sown on, not sure if thats just for one game tho.

good to see. (tu)

I just saw it and came on here, i thought for a moment they said celtic park were renaming a stand

seen that on SSN there.

also kits with his sig sown on, not sure if thats just for one game tho.

good to see. (tu)

I just saw it and came on here, i thought for a moment they said celtic park were renaming a stand

that wouldn suprise me.

they almost 'hogged' the tragedy in every other way.