Ferguson Backs Cousin To Be Smash Hit!

Spl Big Match Special... Clydesdale Bank Premier League Skipper Ferguson Backing Striker To Be Smash Hit Now He's Finally Found His Feet Inverness Ct V Rangers Tomorrow, Caledonian Stadium, 2pm

DANIEL COUSIN is still struggling with English but he certainly speaks Barry Ferguson's language when it comes to winning matches.

The 30-year-old Gabon star has been tagged L'Enigma since his £1million arrival from Lens at the start of the season.

The languid style of the hitman makes Alexei Mikhailichenko at his peak look as dynamic as Rino Gattuso but his strike rate in recent games is beyond reproach.

Cousin has netted three goals in his last four matches and, significantly, his efforts in the games against Hibs and Gretna proved match winners as the Light Blues move four points clear at the top of the SPL.

His lack of contribution off the ball frustrates some Rangers fans, who booed when workaholic Steven Naismith was substituted against Gretna.

However, Ferguson appreciates Cousin's true worth, reminding observers the striker also turned provider for the skipper's stunning volleyed opener at Fir Park in midweek.

Manager Walter Smith has also cautioned his supporters not to make too hasty a judgment ahead of tomorrow's visit to Inverness Caley Thistle because the striker is only beginning to find his feet in the Scottish game.

Ferguson said: "The fans pay good money and are right to have a say but the big man has scored three goals in the last four matches.

"There is a lot of competition for strikers at this club but Dan has done well and his winner on Wednesday secured three points.

"He doesn't speak great English yet and sometimes when foreign players speak to the media in their homelands their comments are misrepresented. Dan came straight into the dressing room when those reports surfaced (about bad dressing room habits at Ibrox) and we had a wee laugh and joke about it. He said he didn't say it and that's good enough for us.

"Dan's certainly not a loner, he's fine. One big thing about this squad is that everyone gets on well.

"You could say the squad would be weakened if Dan left but Kris Boyd is there and is prolific and Naisy can play through the middle as well. However, I don't think the big man will be moving away."

Smith has no plans to offload Cousin in the short term, even though the likes of Middlesbrough and Fulham are casting covetous eyes in his direction amid reports of a £4m swoop.

Cousin has a clause allowing him to leave in the summer but Smith insists he has a vital role to play as Rangers bid to win their first title in three years. He said: "Goalscorers have given managers problems thoughout history.

"They have the knack and ability to win games but are not always the best in the build-up or other areas of their play.

"It always gives managers a bit of a conundrum in terms of fitting them into the team but you need someone with ability to put the ball in the back of the net.

"Remember, it takes a bit of time to adjust to a new environment so we're only really beginning to see Daniel settling down to what he can do in games. Speculation on his future is a non-issue. Everyone has been saying he's going and clubs can be interested and agents can tell you clubs are interested.

"We've never had an inquiry and even if one came it doesn't mean we want to get rid of him."

Smith may have sounded out Christian Dailly for short-term cover but plans no significant changes in the transfer window.

Rangers are gearing up for a title assault and Ferguson feels they threw down a marker on day one at the Tulloch Stadium.

He scored twice as they romped to a 3-0 win against a side that had taken seven points from them the pervious season - more than any other club in the SPL.

Ferguson said: "We've gone two years without a trophy and there's a hunger to put that right.

"Some players are getting a wee bit excited about being four points ahead. It's up to those of us who have won trophies to calm them down.

"Obviously, we prefer to be in front but four points is nothing. It's still neck and neck."

Ferguson's wonder strike against Gretna was his eighth goal of the season and, spot-kicks apart, he's on course to match his achievements of four years ago when Rangers lifted the title on the last day. However, he is keen to set the record straight on the role he's being asked to play.

He said: "I scored 19 goals from the middle of the park in 2003 but seven of them were penalties and I took myself off them after missing two at Dundee.

"I'd be happy with 10 goals this season and although it might look at times as if I've been encouraged further forward, I'm not playing behind the strikers.

"I'm the middle man of a three but the others aren't renowned for getting forward. Maybe it looks as if I've been pushed further forward as a result but it's not always the case. Some games the gaffer asks me to sit and at other times I'm pushed further up the park."

Ferguson and Smith are aware of the threat posed by Inverness, who were on a run of only two defeats from nine SPL fixtures before being dumped from the Scottish Cup at Hibs last weekend.

Ferguson said: "Caley Thistle's league form has been excellent since the arrival of Craig Brewster and they don't get the credit they deserve."

Smith said: "They troubled us a lot last year and if we're to come away with a win we'll have to put in a similar or better performance to the one on opening day."

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/footbal...86908-20290700/

id still take £4M and run.. the price goes up every time i see read about him... doh

id take half that no probs....

i have no problem with any other players attitude in our squad cept him, even when moody marco negri was bangin the goals in and couldnt manage a smirk, he wasnt constantly tryin to win himself a move away from us, it seems every other day he is making comments about how he wants to play elsewhere should the chance come along

all he needs to do is show his commitment till the end of the season and even then he doesnt need to say anythin but just let the process run its course and if the right offer comes along he will b away...

if a club came in with £3m in the jan window, id take it and run, now that is good business, unlike the hutton affair, where the player showed where his heart was, albeit maybe only till the end of the season

so £3m for cousin, i think the £6m for boumsong sings a similar tune to this affair........

£4million, I'd take £2million. If and it's a big IF, we get offered that, then we should bite their hands off!

You'd take what Celtic did for Beattie <cr>

I honestly can't believe people haven't dropped this attitude malarky

Sell Cousin and risk the title, simple as that

JCD is never fit and isn't a natural finisher & Boyd doesn't have what it takes to play the style of formation Smith prefers

Boyd can score goals but put any striker in his position and they'll do the same.....Sebo being the exception.

Cousin for me will win you games when your up against it,with his pace ,power and great arial ability then for me it's a no contest between Boyd and Cousin.

Boyd can score goals but put any striker in his position and they'll do the same.....Sebo being the exception.

Cousin for me will win you games when your up against it,with his pace ,power and great arial ability then for me it's a no contest between Boyd and Cousin.

:beer2:

sebo :lol: