Barry Ferguson

gersfan

A lot of people on here are now wanting him out of the club, or at least given a slap and kept on a short leash......why is this exactly?? I still can't see what he's done wrong! :wacko: He's certainly not above criticism, but in my eyes it is really PLG that has caused this mess. No player is bigger than Rangers, but Ferguson is bigger than le Guen, or at least more important to Rangers. It was PLG that created the situation where David Murray had to choose between them, the moment he dropped Barry and took away the captaincy.

BF openly admits to being a grumpy bastard on the pitch. Always shouting and moaning when things aren't going well. Now this is obviously not necessarily a good thing to do, but its only because he wants so much to win every game, and its hardly reason to boot him out of the club he would run through a brick wall for. When Klos became captain, i thought it was a little pointless as he is probably the quietest man on the pitch. For me the captain should be vocal throughout the match, and at times needs to give the other players a boot up the arse. Barry doesn't even come close to being the best captain we've had, but in my eyes he was just doing his job to the best of his ability, and is by far the best captain we could have from this squad.

People talk about him trying to have too much influence, but as far as i can see he was probably just frustrated that PLG didn't try to fire the players up more, and get them fighting for the win (obviously just not his style), and rightly or wrongly Barry took it upon himself to try inject a bit of passion into the rest of the squad. This is where le Guen would have felt undermined, but i have no doubts that if the manager had been someone a bit more fiery (like McLeish, or Advocaat before him, or indeed Walter Smith), Ferguson would have been more than happy to take a back seat and let them get on with it. What i'm trying to say is i don't think Barry WANTS to do everything himself, but (again, rightly or wrongly) felt he had to do more under the circumstances.

I am not totally against PLG, and despite our extremely poor season so far was more than happy for him to have more time to try and turn things round, and i do respect him for doing what HE believed was the right thing by dropping BF despite knowing his job was already on the line, and that this decision wouldn't be received well all round. But at the end of the day, he effectively forced everyone to choose between him and Barry, and I for one believe 100% that DM chose right.

Anyway, rant over! Those of you who do want Ferguson out tho, or even kept on a short leash, could u maybe tell me why this is? And please don't just say "because of his involvement in all this", cos i don't think that's specific enough. Bear in mind i'm not trying to start any arguments here, i just genuinely can't see it! Cheers (beer1)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He was asked to play further up the field and despite being told to do so on many occasions he didnt. It ended up hurting the team and its something alot of fans dont want to see. No player decides where they play, that is down to the manager.

Id like to see him stay but he needs to respect the managers wishes as if one player plays out of position, it disrupts the other 10 players.

He was asked to play further up the field and despite being told to do so on many occasions he didnt

Because he wasn't getting the right service and not enough of the action. He was having to drop deep to recieve the ball just so that he could get involved in the game. Not his fault but Le Guens and the players around him.

He was asked to play further up the field and despite being told to do so on many occasions he didnt

Because he wasn't getting the right service and not enough of the action. He was having to drop deep to recieve the ball just so that he could get involved in the game. Not his fault but Le Guens and the players around him.

He was getting the ball when he bothered to make the runs, he simply didnt bother to do so in many games this season. For example we are playing Saint Mirren and they have 11 men in there own half and Barry Ferguson is coming back to pick the ball up, he should be pushing and letting Clement take the ball.

It wasnt a case of Ferguson not getting the ball but instead of him not giving Clement the ball, which ment we were loosing out on Clements talents.

Barry thinks he is RANGERS it's time for him to go

does HE think he's rangers ?

Or have people just seen the situation and made an assumption that he thinks this way because they think that they should...

(tu) Exactly what i was thinking. I haven't seen ANY evidence to suggest he thinks he is Mr Rangers. Utter nonsense in my opinion.

He was asked to play further up the field and despite being told to do so on many occasions he didnt. It ended up hurting the team and its something alot of fans dont want to see. No player decides where they play, that is down to the manager.

Id like to see him stay but he needs to respect the managers wishes as if one player plays out of position, it disrupts the other 10 players.

Another person who hears rumours and takes them as gospel.

Le Guen failed to identify what fergie did wrong, and until we get a full explanation i am totally behind fergie.

Barry thinks he is RANGERS it's time for him to go

does HE think he's rangers ?

Or have people just seen the situation and made an assumption that he thinks this way because they think that they should...

(tu) Exactly what i was thinking. I haven't seen ANY evidence to suggest he thinks he is Mr Rangers. Utter nonsense in my opinion.

(tu)

yep once again people believe what they want to believe without any facts.

<pbag>

He was getting the ball when he bothered to make the runs, he simply didnt bother to do so in many games this season. For example we are playing Saint Mirren and they have 11 men in there own half and Barry Ferguson is coming back to pick the ball up, he should be pushing and letting Clement take the ball.

It wasnt a case of Ferguson not getting the ball but instead of him not giving Clement the ball, which ment we were loosing out on Clements talents.

Clement wasn't wanting the ball tho. What is the point in having Ferguson up the pitch when his partner is not wanting the ball to give it to Ferguson. That is why he has to drop deep. Also if he doesn't the defenders just punt the ball up the field and give possession back to the opposition. Ferguson should be given a role like Gerrard. Where he can play and roam wherever he likes until we get in a suitable partner for him.

Le Guen failed to identify what fergie did wrong, and until we get a full explanation i am totally behind fergie.

He stated that he ignored his gameplan. He looked over tapes of the cally thistle and saint mirren game and then came to the conclusion that Ferguson had indeed went against his orders.

Surley you can see that he is taking Clement out of the game, when instead he should be linking up with him to get further up the park.

He stated that he ignored his gameplan. He looked over tapes of the cally thistle and saint mirren game and then came to the conclusion that Ferguson had indeed went against his orders.

Surley you can see that he is taking Clement out of the game, when instead he should be linking up with him to get further up the park.

Look at players all around the world who dont stick to the game plan as it is not the right kind of game for it. Gerrard, Scholes, Gravesen, Lampard, Riquelme. They try to get more involved and try to makes things happen.

Clement wasn't wanting the ball tho. What is the point in having Ferguson up the pitch when his partner is not wanting the ball to give it to Ferguson. That is why he has to drop deep. Also if he doesn't the defenders just punt the ball up the field and give possession back to the opposition. Ferguson should be given a role like Gerrard. Where he can play and roam wherever he likes until we get in a suitable partner for him.

Clement didnt want the ball? He simply wasnt given the ball, Ferguson just missed him out every time. Its funny that when Ferguson didnt play against Motherwell that Clement had so much more of the ball and played great.

When Ferguson bothered to get forward against Celtic and Hibs, Clement was great. He was left to break up attacks and play simple passing football, that is his position after all.

Ferguson has shown he cant do the gerrard role as he doesnt get far enough forward when he tries to play there. He tries to do everything himself but it simply doesnt work, if he played further up he would be far better for the team.

So basically when he plays forward we play well and when he sits back we dont, seems pretty straight forward to me what he should be doing...

Aren't you believing something without facts in accordance to that post?

Ferguson is the best player at the club, like I said Ferguson will be here longer than Le Guen and thank f*ck for that!

Look forward to Ferguson leading this club into our new era (tu)

Aren't you believing something without facts in accordance to that post?

What am i believing without having the necessary facts?

All i said was that Le Guen only stated that fergie undermined him but never disclosed what fergie did.

Ok, i agree he should be trying to push forward more, and it benefits the team when he does so. Unfortunately the flow of the game can often dictate how much players get forward and attack, and it would be worse if he just sat forward all the time not tracking back. I have to say i'm not even sure that le Guen did ask Barry to play further up the field - he never came out and said this did he? And if so i doubt Ferguson was purposefully disobeying orders by not getting forward more, he merely wasn't able to due to the way the game was being played. I don't think its the case that if he attacks more the rest will all fall into place, everyone else has to be on their game as well, even just to ALLOW him to get forward more. Anyway, regardless of this, my point is that i think it is a bit harsh for him to be booted out or even criticised so heavily, for something do trivial, considering everything he has done and continues to do for the team.

Look at players all around the world who dont stick to the game plan as it is not the right kind of game for it. Gerrard, Scholes, Gravesen, Lampard, Riquelme. They try to get more involved and try to makes things happen.

When all of the other players play that role, they get forward and help the attack. Ferugson doesnt bother to do that, he runs 40 yars with the ball across the park and then does nothing with the ball.

Graveson isnt in the league of the rest, he is vastly overated and he couldnt lace the boots of Petrov. He misplaces most of his passes and hasnt impressed me at all this season with the exception of the saint mirren game.

Paul Scholes has a sitting midfielder behind him that he allows to use the ball, Lampard has essien and makelele behind him, which allows him to push forward. If ferguson gave the ball to Clement and allowed him to do the dirty work and play the short passing game, he could get forward and offer himself in a more attacking role.

Football is a team game, Ferguson needs to allow his other players more of the ball to be a more effective player.

Did Advocaat, McLeish, Vogts, Souness, Smith and Hughes have a problem with Fergie? NO!

Le Guen had a problem with everything but he is gone and good ridance!

Ok, i agree he should be trying to push forward more, and it benefits the team when he does so. Unfortunately the flow of the game can often dictate how much players get forward and attack, and it would be worse if he just sat forward all the time not tracking back. I have to say i'm not even sure that le Guen did ask Barry to play further up the field - he never came out and said this did he? And if so i doubt Ferguson was purposefully disobeying orders by not getting forward more, he merely wasn't able to due to the way the game was being played. I don't think its the case that if he attacks more the rest will all fall into place, everyone else has to be on their game as well, even just to ALLOW him to get forward more. Anyway, regardless of this, my point is that i think it is a bit harsh for him to be booted out or even criticised so heavily, for something do trivial, considering everything he has done and continues to do for the team.

Not doing what your manager asks isnt a small thing, its major. Every player has a role to play and if they dont do that then the whole team has to try and cover.

The problem isnt that he has had to sit back in these games, the teams have always been pinned back in there own half. He simply wants to try and do everything himself, running with the ball past his own players instead of playing a pass. He has played well in the big games because he has got forward and used Clement, while offering himself in a more attacking role.

PLG did state that Ferguson undermined him, it was further stated that he ignored his orders against Inverness. If i was a manager and my captain wasnt doing as i asked, id drop him and strip him of the captaincy. You cant be seen to let one player do one thing and then expect the rest of the team to respect you.

It was something that had to be done and i applaud Le Guen for doing so. I dont think Le Guen was right for the club as he made some terrible signings however he had to put Ferguson in his place as he was out of order.

Did Advocaat, McLeish, Vogts, Souness, Smith and Hughes have a problem with Fergie? NO!

There was problems between Ferguson and Mcleish at Ibrox, big Eck just didnt bother to drop him. There are many people at Ibrox who know that Ferguson was doing his own thing for the past few years which is something that shouldnt happen.

The same thing has caused Newcastle problems for the last few years with Given, Dyer and Shearer calling the shots.

Players should do what a manager asks, end of story.

There was problems between Ferguson and Mcleish at Ibrox, big Eck just didnt bother to drop him. There are many people at Ibrox who know that Ferguson was doing his own thing for the past few years which is something that shouldnt happen.

The same thing has caused Newcastle problems for the last few years with Given, Dyer and Shearer calling the shots.

Players should do what a manager asks, end of story.

Fergie and McLeish never had a problem with each other, they were good friends. In fact, Barry compared his relationship with McLeish to the one the nine in a row team had with Walter Smith.