Boyd Hopes For Start.

ricksen_da_best

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cups/...ngers_Boyd.html

Sorry If Repost :

Kris Boyd has told boss Walter Smith he is the man who can fire Rangers to European glory against Panathinaikos this week.

The striker bagged his 16th goal of the season from the penalty spot against Kilmarnock to help seal a 2-0 win and restore a four-point lead at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League on Sunday.

Despite his goalscoring prowess, Boyd was left kicking his heels on the bench when Rangers were held to a drab goalless draw by the Greek side in the first leg of the UEFA Cup tie at Ibrox last week.

Smith opted for a cautious approach to the game with Lee McCulloch deployed in the lone striker role in the absence of the suspended Jean-Claude Darcheville, but the Rangers boss knows he has to go for goals this time.

Boyd has rarely had the opportunity to show what he can do on the big European nights but is hoping his efforts in the SPL have earned him his chance in Athens.

"Hopefully I've done enough to start on Thursday," he said. "There was nothing I could do about it when the gaffer said he was playing it the way he did in the first leg at Ibrox.

"I'll stand by him and get on with it because he's the man in charge and the man who makes the decisions. There's nothing I can do other than go out and show I'm good enough to be there when I do get on the park.

"Obviously, there were chances in the game during the first leg so hopefully if I do get the chance on Thursday it'll be the same again and I can take one of them.

"It's a team game, though, so whoever plays will hopefully get a goal that takes us through."

Boyd has faced criticism for his lack of workrate in the past but showed signs he is working on his overall game at Rugby Park on Sunday.

As well as his penalty, he played a part in Carlos Cuellar's opener and created a couple of excellent chances for Darcheville.

Boyd added: "I was delighted to get the penalty and tuck it away. It's another good three points for the club but the game should probably have been over before then.

"Personally, all I can do is continue to work away and see what happens. As long as I'm putting the ball in the net I'll be happy, although I obviously realise there are other aspects to my game I need to work on.

"I feel I've been doing that and with that in mind I was happy with my performance. I created a couple of chances for Darche."

Kilmarnock sit second bottom of the SPL following a run of poor form and know they face the possibility of being dragged into a relegation scrap with Gretna if results do not improve.

"We've got to pick up points," admitted midfielder Gary Locke. "We've got everybody back now and it's time to push on. If we can perform like we did against Rangers, I'm pretty confident we will start winning games.

"We have to look at Gretna because of the position we are in but this performance was a lot more encouraging and, if we can play like that between now and the end of the season, we will win more games than we lose."

I read this story from the BBC

Rangers manager Walter Smith says he wants his side to be more ruthless in attack after the 2-0 win over Kilmarnock at Rugby Park.

A Carlos Cuellar header and Kris Boyd penalty gave the Ibrox side all three points against a battling Kilmarnock.

"The first half was quite tight and we were disappointed we didn't add to our lead," said Smith.

"We need extra sharpness up front, and hopefully we can start to show more of a killer instinct in front of goal."

and I could only think to myself that Boyd is the answer if he wants a killer instinct. We all know that this is what Boyds game is based upon

post-3471-1203361492_thumb.jpgAfter watching the 1st game Boyd really is the only choice, while we created chances they fell to someone who apart from one good season really has flattered to deceive, how Novo managed to get a new contract is beyond me, he is slower, positionally poor and runs about head down like a headless chicken, and worst of all is scred to go in for a 50/50. While i accept Boyd is a bit slow he posseses all the other qualities Novo doesnt. McCulloch should be out wide and either Burke or Naismith on the other wing, we need goals and guys on the pitch that can score or have the craft to supply!!!

darch is suspended m8

even if JCD was available hes just not gettin the goals we need. cousin is out of the picture. Naismith isnt making an impact at the moment and i think lee mcCulloch is a class player but hes is not suited as a lone striker. theres only 1 out and out striker who consistantly gets the goals when asked for and thats Boyd! the fact that the goals have been spread out amongst the whole team is showing that we need someone infront of goal who can do the bizz! Boyd is top goal scorer this season with 16 in all comps which is way out in front of cousin (9) and JCD (8). My point is Boyd has the killer instinct and is screamin out to show it!