Victory for 'Anti-football' and tactics

J_RFC87

(this isn't a dig at the tactics)

When I seen the 'double lock' in Daily and Hemdani last night, I feared another dull 0-0 game. To be fair, the game should have been 0-0, they never really created anything due to the lack of space.

Diego and the rest of Bremen are made a bad team through that game, we just got our tactics spot on, played to our strengths and sneaked a couple of goals, and could have gotten a few more. Sure it wans't attractive, but who are we to complain over the result and the manner of the victory against a top team :rangers:

Well done Walter!

When I seen the 'double lock' in Daily and Hemdani last night, I feared another dull 0-0 game. To be fair, the game should have been 0-0, they never really created anything due to the lack of space.

Diego and the rest of Bremen are made a bad team through that game, we just got our tactics spot on, played to our strengths and sneaked a couple of goals, and could have gotten a few more. Sure it wans't attractive, but who are we to complain over the result and the manner of the victory against a tp team :rangers:

Well done Walter!

Exactly! It may not be the best flowing Barca esq football, but it sure as hell works! The majority of European games this season that tactic has worked and we are excellently placed to get to the 1/4s of the UEFA cup

WATP

Diego and the rest of Bremen are made a bad team through that game, we just got our tactics spot on, played to our strengths and sneaked a couple of goals, and could have gotten a few more. Sure it wans't attractive, but who are we to complain over the result and the manner of the victory against a tp team :rangers:

Well done Walter!

I agree , looked negative , but it was our most positive performance in europe this year IMO

Barry and Davis were getting up to support and having 2 doing this made the difference.

Hemdani and Dailly were solid defensively and Dailly played the role far better than we had with Thomson. I was apprehensive, to say the least, about the signing of Dailly, but his superior pace, mobility and reading of the game made a real improvement in this area.

We simple were much better than them. After 20 minutes had gone I could see us winning the game, sure they had possesion and moved the ball around pretty well but we defended well, dug deep, nullified their threats and when we got the ball retained it well and got the breaks. How often in Europe can we say that happens? Not very often IMHO

We actually got the ball down and passes it about instead of just bleeshing it up the park.

I thought we were going to struggle as there was no width in the team. It worked a treat.

Walter got it right and that's why he's the manager.

We actually got the ball down and passes it about instead of just bleeshing it up the park.

I thought we were going to struggle as there was no width in the team. It worked a treat.

Walter got it right and that's why he's the manager.

Yes it is amazing what can happen if we play passing football with proper movement.

Well done Walter!

Exactly! It may not be the best flowing Barca esq football, but it sure as hell works! The majority of European games this season that tactic has worked and we are excellently placed to get to the 1/4s of the UEFA cup

WATP

Everyone also seems to forget that we don't have a Barca-esque budget anymore. Our squad cost less than one of their strikers is worth.

As well as Rangers being perceived as "anti-football", Celtic seem to be perceived as some sort of swash-buckling, flair team, and yet we scored more goals in the CL group stages than they did and we've scored more goals in the league.

Plus, as I believe someone mentioned in another thread: "No tims in Europe......"

Walter got it spectaculary right.

He completely Nullified Diego, and you can bet he knew that keeper was likely to make a mistake or two...

But it was down to the players and they really did show we can take on anyone at the moment, there's no longer a fear of playing better teams!

To be honest, despite the tactics that were used, I thought we played very good football. A lot of possession play, passing along the floor. Fair enough there was the odd thump up the park but we showed that we can play football, even with a negative formation.

We are such a better team when we get the ball on the deck and pass it about. Short, neat passing and moving works so much better than a thump up the park. It showed last night. The odd lump up the park is acceptable, even Arsenal resort to it but not all the time.