Walter and Carlos win

Baileyseye

I'm astonished to be honest. Obviously no-one could argue with Walter getting the award, but I thought McGeady was a certainty aswell. Carlos fully deserved it though.

Rangers received a double boost ahead of the Old Firm derby as Carlos Cuellar insisted he wants to stay at Ibrox for as long as possible and Walter Smith calmed speculation about his own future.

The Spanish defender has been magnificent in his debut season and was yesterday named the Clydesdale Bank Premier League Player of the Season. His performances have attracted interest from the English Premiership, but he said at yesterday's awards ceremony at Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Gallery: "I want to stay at Rangers for life."

The centre-half's happiness with life in Glasgow will be welcome news for Smith, although he knows that the club would find it hard to resist a big summer bid, as shown in the January sale of Alan Hutton to Tottenham.

Smith was named Manager of the Season yesterday, while Celtic's Aiden McGeady won the Young Player of the Season award.

Well done to both of them.

I can't get over how good a job Smith has done with the team (which is why I have so much patience with him). Beginning of the season we were after simply running Celtic close, and we're now seriously on for the quad. What he's managed has genuinely been amazing and MOTY is the very least he deserves.

Cuellar has hardly put a foot wrong. What edged him being my POTY over McGregor was purely down to how fast he's adapted to life in this league. Always keeps a cool head and works hard for the team (credit to Davie Weir too though).

Awesome work all round, two very well deserved awards.

hopefully Carlos will also get the players' award, its not less deserved.

I think the other players should appreciate how good a job he does, even more so than us and the media.

hopefully Carlos will also get the players' award, its not less deserved.

I think the other players should appreciate how good a job he does, even more so than us and the media.

I sincerely hope so. I must admit I was more worried about the media one given they don't seem to see the same games I do when it comes to the mcgeady.