A Touch Of Class

BILLY KIRKWOOD paid tribute to John Fleck after his goals sealed a second successive double for Rangers' under-19s in the Scottish Youth Cup final.

The 16-year-old produced a wonder strike in the dying seconds of regulation time to force a 1-1 draw with Celtic and an additional 30 minutes.

John FleckAnd after Andrew Little put the Light Blues ahead at Hampden, Fleck struck again moments from full time to add the trophy to the league title Gers won last week.

Kirkwood was thrilled to see the highly-rated youngster impress so much in front of around 6,000 fans at Hampden.

He said: "What can you say about John? He is one of these players who, if you have the ability he has, the only way is up.

"When the old comic book character Gorgeous Gus picked up the ball and scored, he got the kind of goals we saw from John tonight.

"He gave us a big lift with two minutes to go and we then carried that on into extra-time and did well to come away with the trophy.

"When John picks up the ball, you know something is going to happen. If he showed that here at the national stadium in a cup final, you can't ask for any more."

Tonight's certainly wasn't Rangers' best performance of the season and Fleck's leveller was perhaps cruel on a Celtic side which had played well.Rangers celebrate with the cup

But having got the all-important result in the end, Kirkwood was delighted with the character his youngsters showed to come back and triumph.

The under-19 coach, who was at the helm for last season's double too, added: "I don't think we played particularly well but it was fantastic to win.

"I think these players are taking a leaf out of the first team's book just now with the resilience they are showing at the moment.

"When we went behind, I think the boys realised they needed to give themselves a kick up the backside and they did that.

"As Celtic tired in the second half, we came back and battled well and as the game went on, our confidence improved."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1296733,00.html

I love reading this stuff as much as i do about the seniour team doing well.

At long last we are slowly but surely breading our own players through the youth team. People moan about Murray park not doing its job. But i personaly feel that was just the usual impatience that a lot of Rangers fans have with the club, we want everything to happen yesterday instead of being realistic.

I seem to remeber we bought a few young foreign lads about the same time we bought Marco Negri, i think it was 3 young Italians around the 16-17 year age and they were gonna be "the next Rangers superstars" but we never saw them play for the seniour team.

Breading rangers players from a young age that are RANGERS fans is a must now and it seems to be working.

|Cheers for posting that DG as i miss a lot of these kind of links as i am busy and have a shit connection out here. Top man :)

I love reading this stuff as much as i do about the seniour team doing well.

At long last we are slowly but surely breading our own players through the youth team. People moan about Murray park not doing its job. But i personaly feel that was just the usual impatience that a lot of Rangers fans have with the club, we want everything to happen yesterday instead of being realistic.

I seem to remeber we bought a few young foreign lads about the same time we bought Marco Negri, i think it was 3 young Italians around the 16-17 year age and they were gonna be "the next Rangers superstars" but we never saw them play for the seniour team.

Breading rangers players from a young age that are RANGERS fans is a must now and it seems to be working.

|Cheers for posting that DG as i miss a lot of these kind of links as i am busy and have a shit connection out here. Top man :)

Is Stevie Lennon too old for the u19's now?