Away goals rule, time for a rethink.

minstral

something which has always p*ssed me off about the away goals rule (although we could benefit next thursday) is how the away goals rule still counts in extra time which aint fair on the home team

why should the away team gain an advantage merely from the luck of the draw

like i said, we can benefit from this stupid rule next week but i seem to remember we got turfed out by sparta prague(?) at home a number of years ago because of it

I think you are thinking of Zizkov mate, in 2002-03 when we got knocked out in the first round of Europe and went on to win the treble. We got beaten 2-0 away and beat them 2-0 after 90 mins at Ibrox and lost on away goals after extra time as we both scored one more goal.

forgot about that one till you mentioned it - Klos nearly scored from a corner in the 119th min if my memory serves me right

one of the most exciting euro games ive been at ibrox for, pity we got put out

showing my age here, i was thinking about the game way back in 1991 - think it was an own goal that put us out - we won 2-1 but a goal in extra time f*cked us right up

either way, still sh*te !

unless we go thro' on thursday after extra time - then i'll no give a f*ck about the rule :bouncy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it was brought into place to make two teams attack at home and away, but it dosn't work.

and once it gets to extra time, the away team have a MASSIVE advantage the home team could'nt get even if the score's were 0-0 then 0-0.

after watching rangers in europe plus other sides i think its time for a rethink for the away goal rule.

before the rule, the away team would defend in the face of all out attack, from the home team, the second leg was the same which gave you two half decent games, in which one team wants to win. since they changed the rule it seems none of the teams wants to win the first leg and are just happy not to concede a goal. im not sure if the away goal rule serves any purpose, it was encouraged to make the away team a bit more adventurous, but now its causing to much fear, which is resulting in negative and poor games for the fans to watch.

thoughts please.

It's a fair point because back when European football was new a trip abroad really was a step into the unknown, but now, such is the familiarity, an away game in Europe doesn't really hold any more dangers than a domestic away game

Without the away goals rule, we would not have had Barca 72.

Don't knock it.

danny a lot has changed since then, in they days teams would have a go but now its killing the game with both teams scared to concede at home.

you are right Minstral but what is interesting to me is that the change has come relatively recently. Even just a few years ago I think teams were a lot more willing to have a go and attack teams when at home. I think our view may be a bit skewed because Rangers have been so defensive at home - this year particularly.

I also think that the huge financial implications of teams progressing or failing in the European competitions are a source of a lot of nervousness because there is so much riding on the games.

Strange to want to change thing when we are being successful I would have though it would have been the tims who would want to move the goalposts and change the rules

i just said it has killed the game as last night showed , when we were just outside their box and we passed it all the way back to our own keeper.

Minstral, I hear you loud and clear there. I was ready to claw my own eyes out after watching that unfold! <cr>