Rangers Told To Splash the Cash

Worst thing about telling everyone we have so much to spend..

£5million for lafferty now?

Rangers told to splash the cash

Lafferty and Shittu (below) would be welcomed at Ibrox, but Miller (bottom) would get a hot reception

by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS have been warned they will have to splash the cash if they want to land their primary transfer targets.

Walter Smith has been linked with summer moves for Burnley striker Kyle Lafferty and Watford stopper Danny Shittu.

And the Ibrox boss is also expected to snap up Derby's Kenny Miller - making him the first player in history to cross the Old Firm divide twice.

Burnley manager Owen Coyle has made it clear he'll refuse to listen to any offers under £5million for the 6ft 4in Lafferty.

advertisement

The Northern Ireland striker has also interested Celtic, Fulham and Wolves.

Gordon Strachan offered £3m plus Derek Riordan for Lafferty in January, but that bid was rejected, and Rangers also have failed in a more recent undisclosed offer.

Coyle said: "The bid we turned down from Celtic shows you how highly we value Kyle, but he is worth even more now.

"I'm not interested in talking about specific teams placing bids, though, because it is that time of year again when there is a lot of speculation."

It's the same for Watford's Shittu, who made it into the Championship Team of the Year.

Former Celtic defender Malky Mackay is now a coach at the London club and said: "He's under contract and it would be a big- money signing. As far as how much, God knows. Whether the club would want to sell him or not I don't know."

The 27-year-old Nigerian is a man mountain and Mackay added: "He is powerful and probably ideal for Scottish football."

While both Lafferty and Shittu would be immediately made welcome by the Ibrox fans, the same cannot be said for Scotland internationalist Miller, who is thought to be at an advanced stage in engineering a return to Glasgow from Derby in a £1.6m move.

The player himself has stated: "Obviously we've all heard the speculation and I'm aware of an interest, but this is a long way from being as cut and dried as people are making out."

However, Gers fans' spokesman David Edgar says: "Rangers fans in general would never tell any Rangers manager who to sign and certainly not Walter Smith. But the level of dissent shown by the supporters against a player who hasn't yet signed for us is unprecedented.

"It has nothing to do with him being an ex-Celtic player, they don't like him because he is not good enough."

Rangers have also been linked with Olympiakos defender Vassilis Torosidis, but he has been mentioned in connection with Bayern Munich and Juventus.

Keeper Allan McGregor is expected to be fit for the start of the new season after undergoing knee surgery.

McGregor, 26, missed the final weeks of the campaign with an ankle injury sustained at Celtic Park on April 16.

Lafferty would not be welcome at that price, he wouldnt even be welcome at £2.5m.

my thoughts exactly, think of the player £5Mil could get you from a team playing in Germany, Spain, Italy Or Holland doh

Lafferty would not be welcome at that price, he wouldnt even be welcome at £2.5m.

my thoughts exactly, think of the player £5Mil could get you from a team playing in Germany, Spain, Italy Or Holland doh

Could get us pablo aimer on a free transfer, with his wages for a few seasons for 5million

Keeper Allan McGregor is expected to be fit for the start of the new season after undergoing knee surgery.

McGregor, 26, missed the final weeks of the campaign with an ankle injury sustained at Celtic Park on April 16.

Personally, I'd have preferred it if they'd operated on his ankle.

I think we're all in agreement Lafferty is not for us!!!

aimar, contributed in build up and scored one of the best ever champions leage team goals

hed be up there with laudrup and gazza for transfer coups

even though id love it to realistically would never happen imo

Just think the Money we get for Cuellar <cr>

Will get us Miller,Lafferty and Shittu :craphead:

booooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Let's go for FarFan and Forlan ...we have just reached a European final and have made £35m in the process this season so aim high and spend big on top quality to get us to another final and win the league.

But we'll probably go for Miller,McFadden,Fletcher and Lafferty

£5m for Lafferty? We should tell Burnley to shove it up their arse. If the 6ft 4 Lafferty moves here, we can count on game after game of route one football, and we've already had far too much of that as it is.

I'd prefer to use part of that £5m to increase Carlos' wages enough to keep him here.

£5m for Lafferty? We should tell Burnley to shove it up their arse. If the 6ft 4 Lafferty moves here, we can count on game after game of route one football, and we've already had far too much of that as it is.

I'd prefer to use part of that £5m to increase Carlos' wages enough to keep him here.

(tu)

I am more than positive mr murray will be looking to offer him a better contract he is on 12k a week double that and apperance fee bonus as that is what newcastle will offer him!!

Wigan manager Steve Bruce is lining up a £3.5m bid for Newcastle's Charles N'Zogbia. (Daily Mirror)

£3.5m for N'Zogbia is a bargain as far as i'm concerned, I've seen the guy play many times as my brother is a season ticket holder with Newcastle so i get to a few games. IMO he is exactly what we are looking for, a pacey, lightening quick winger capable of both making runs into the box and delivering decent crosses. My only concern would be the wage demands, however the lure of Champions League football may prove a factor to work in our favour.

This is the type of player Walter should be looking and NOT the likes of Miller and Laverty !!

Personally, I'd have preferred it if they'd operated on his ankle.

(tu):lol:

I dont know much about Lafferty and i havent seen him play personally speaking,however after we became interested in him he seemed to be scoring more regularly for burnley,but again i think this could be another boyd-esk player with less goals,so i dont see why we would be interested in him, when we have someone with such a great scoring ability in boyd.

I think we would be better going for a more pacey player with a well proven goal ratio!