The Argyle connection?

Briton

I'm not certain about the Argyll naming suggestion - but I'll look into that. The Gareloch and Helensburgh area was fairly recently moved from Dunbartonshire to Argyll & Bute and it's not clear if this was a return to that shire or the first. I was at a function in the Helensburgh area not so long ago where the Duke of Argyll was being welcomed 'home' by a local councillor. That suggests it was a return - I'll find out either way!

Interesting you should mention the Duke of Argyll. According to a poster from 1974-75 season, our patron was The Marquis of Lorne (the continental spelling was used). This is the courtesy title given to the heir to the Duke of Argyll and our early patron became the ninth. His name was John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell. I had wondered how we came to have such an illustrious association so soon after formation. Interestingly a John Campbell played for us that season. Could it be the same person? The Marquess was 27 at the time. Saying that...it does seem unlikely that connection hasn't been spotted before and obviously John campbell is hardly a rare name. Did Peter have any brothers who played for Rangers?

Even if it's not the same person, The Marquess was an interesting character to say the least. He was a Liberal MP for Argyll and went on to become the Governer General of Canada. According to his Wiki he was the first commoner to marry into royalty in 300 years and that caused a bit of a stir at the time. He was also rumoured to be gay and linked, through his friendship to Frank Shackleton, to the theft of the Irish Crown Jewels.

250px-Lorne.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Douglas_..._Duke_of_Argyll

post-1248-1216751679_thumb.jpg

Interesting you should mention the Duke of Argyll. According to a poster from 1974-75 season, our patron was The Marquis of Lorne (the continental spelling was used). This is the courtesy title given to the heir to the Duke of Argyll and our early patron became the ninth. His name was John George Edward Henry Douglas Sutherland Campbell. I had wondered how we came to have such an illustrious association so soon after formation. Interestingly a John Campbell played for us that season. Could it be the same person? The Marquess was 27 at the time. Saying that...it does seem unlikely that connection hasn't been spotted before and obviously John campbell is hardly a rare name. Did Peter have any brothers who played for Rangers?

Even if it's not the same person, The Marquess was an interesting character to say the least. He was a Liberal MP for Argyll and went on to become the Governer General of Canada. According to his Wiki he was the first commoner to marry into royalty in 300 years and that caused a bit of a stir at the time. He was also rumoured to be gay and linked, through his friendship to Frank Shackleton, to the theft of the Irish Crown Jewels.

Peter Campbell had a brother called John who played for Rangers in the early years. I would say it's unlikely to be the same person since back then footballers were considered "past it" by their late 20s. It would be easy to confirm this through a birth certificate to see how old John Campbell (the player) was at this time.

It is an interesting connection, particularly so shortly after we were formed, and if you follow the elected members of the club for years after this there are other interesting names that come up.

Maybe I'm making a big deal about someone just being a patron but the more I read about this the more surprising it is that somebody so important was linked to the club so soon after it's formation. This guy is quite an important historical character, he was already married to Princess Louise. Assuming he's not the player, I was wondering whether one of the founders was an acquaintance, maybe through the rowing? That is the kind of sport usually associated with someone of his background, he attended Eton and Cambridge.

Looking at the age thing. The Marquess was 27 so that would tie in with what you say about late twenties, the John Campbell of those days stopped playing the next season, so he's not ruled out through age. Just seems unlikely that somebody so important would be playing football over in Glasgow but you never know.

I always thought of a patron in this context as just a figurehead that gives their name as support and not really a position where you actually do anything. Not really sure though. Of course it can also mean someone who helps in the financial sense, like in the arts.

Damn. I thought this was going to be a thread about cardigans and walter smith.

:lol: Harris tweed, ye cannae beat it !!

Until it gets wet and smells of piss that is. ;)

I always thought of a patron in this context as just a figurehead that gives their name as support and not really a position where you actually do anything. Not really sure though. Of course it can also mean someone who helps in the financial sense, like in the arts.

Something else to research :rolleyes:

It just seems to me that the future Duke of Argyll and Ure Primrose are very different characters (well not characters but you know what I mean).

Something else to research :rolleyes:

It just seems to me that the future Duke of Argyll and Ure Primrose are very different characters (well not characters but you know what I mean).

They had something in common, besides being patrons of Rangers FC that is... they were both liberals.

Does anybody know what a 'Club Patron' would do?

Was there more than one at any given time?

I'm pretty sure that's the position that Ure Primrose took up in 1888.

Manti

Did Sir John Ure Primrose take up that position before or after the formation of Celtc?

Reason I ask is that given his strong Masonic, Protestant and Unionist beliefs, I wonder if our Protestant heritage can be traced back to when Celtc were actually formed? I was aware of his influence re our heritage but I always thought we didn't become a Protestant club until nearer/around WW1.

Does anybody know what a 'Club Patron' would do?

Was there more than one at any given time?

I'm pretty sure that's the position that Ure Primrose took up in 1888.

Manti

Did Sir John Ure Primrose take up that position before or after the formation of Celtc?

Reason I ask is that given his strong Masonic, Protestant and Unionist beliefs, I wonder if our Protestant heritage can be traced back to when Celtc were actually formed? I was aware of his influence re our heritage but I always thought we didn't become a Protestant club until nearer/around WW1.

i think primrose was elected club patron the same year that celtic were formed.