I would reserve comment on Carlos for now.

CF5LOYAL

There is alot mre of this story to emerge in the coming weeks.

Keevins made a good point on Clyde:

Friday: Templeton was promised Cuellar won't be sold, and if he was it would be for "funny money" and 8 million was not seen as "funny money at the meeting

Saturday: Bain phones him and reassures him that Cuellar won't be sold

Sunday: Cuellar hands in transfer request

Monday: Fee agreed, Cuellar in Birmangham, deal as good as done

It all happened that quick? was there a release clause? was Cuellar injured? Did negotiations only take 1 day? did Cuellar really want to go or was he pushed ala Hutton?

There is more to come from this.

I'll comment because I actually trust the board on this one. I think Carlos took one look at a sinking ship and thought "bugger this, I'm off."

So why did Bain lie about the release clasue to Templeton and co at the meeting on Friday?

I'll comment because I actually trust the board on this one. I think Carlos took one look at a sinking ship and thought "bugger this, I'm off."

So why did Bain lie about the release clasue to Templeton and co at the meeting on Friday?

I agree. Why was he making guarantees if, as has been reported, there was a clause in his contract stating that we had to accept offers of 10 million Euros?

That i'll actually have to reserve comment on because I don't know much about the meeting (but I had been wondering why I'd never heard about the release clause before.)

Perhaps someone could sum up what Bain lied about for me? Cheers.

That i'll actually have to reserve comment on because I don't know much about the meeting (but I had been wondering why I'd never heard about the release clause before.)

it would be quicker to sum up what him and Murray haven't lied about :angry2:

According to Templeton they discussed Cuellar at the meeting where they assured him he wouldn't be sold unless "funny money" was offered. Templeton asked them about what they meant by funny money and it was over 10m....why no mention of the release clause to Templeton? did they know a deal was getting done?

As I said too many unanswered questions on this one.

According to Templeton they discussed Cuellar at the meeting where they assured him he wouldn't be sold unless "funny money" was offered. Templeton asked them about what they meant by funny money and it was over 10m....why no mention of the release clause to Templeton? did they know a deal was getting done?

Unless the 10m was actually expressed as a sum of Euros?

Unless the 10m was actually expressed as a sum of Euros?

Now that would just be taking the piss out the guy ;):D

it would be quicker to sum up what him and Murray haven't lied about :angry2:

1)...........

Done. :pipe:

To be fair it didn't sound like "funny money" was a direct quote from Bain.

If you tell people there's a release clause every club left right and center would jump in with unrefusable bids. He didn't want him to leave. Templeton and co would leak everything.

Rangers would've only informed Villa of the clause after Cuellar told us he wanted to go on Sunday.

To be fair it didn't sound like "funny money" was a direct quote from Bain.

It may not have been a direct quote from Bain i'm not sure. But if it was put to him by templeton then Bain agreed that Cuellar would not go cheap.

I brought this up today with a fellow bear, how could Bain guarantee Cuellar was going nowhere unless it was for ridiculous money knowing full well there was a clause in his cantract.

As always with all things Rangers these days, 'I smell poo'

I brought this up today with a fellow bear, how could Bain guarantee Cuellar was going nowhere unless it was for ridiculous money knowing full well there was a clause in his cantract.

Thanks Jim, that's the point I was trying to make but I couldn't think how to word it. My brain hit a blank....again :D

were bain/murray asked at the meeting if there was a clause in carlos's contract?

if not then whats the problem? the club aint going to come out and say "right mister templeton we can promise you we wont try and sell him,but let it be known that theres a release clause in his contract" i wouldnt imagine thats the sort of thing that should be being talked about anyhoo,a players contract is supposed to be private between him and the club is it not?

But that's the thing - where are you getting this "Bain guaranteed Cuellar was going nowhere unless it was for ridiculous money" from? Find me a quote.

All I have is this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/...ers/7550754.stm

Fans were assured key players - such as Carlos Cuellar, who has been linked with a move to England - would not be sold to compensate for the failure to secure Champions League money.

And he wasn't sold to compensate for the failure to secure CL football. He was sold because he said he wanted to leave and rejected a new contract.

were bain/murray asked at the meeting if there was a clause in carlos's contract?

if not then whats the problem? the club aint going to come out and say "right mister templeton we can promise you we wont try and sell him,but let it be know that theres a release clause in his contract" i wouldnt imagine thats the sort of thing that should be being talked about anyhoo,a players contract is supposed to be private between him and the club is it not?

No they weren't asked about any clause as there wasn't even a rumour that one existed.

Bain was asked if Cuellar would be sold due to exiting Europe, he replied along the lines that he was going nowhere unless a ridiculous offer was tabled.

Now how can he answer that question in such a way if he knew all along that Cuellar could initiate the release anytime he wanted?

The club have been lying to us for so long that I honestly wouldn't put it past them to orchestrate this.

Rangers go out, Villa quietly ask if Rangers would be prepared to do business and are willing to offer around £8million. Rangers accept the offer as long as Villa agree to go along with sudden scenario that Cuellar had a clause in his contract.

That's what I'm starting to believe anyway.

But that's the thing - where are you getting this "Bain guaranteed Cuellar was going nowhere unless it was for ridiculous money" from? Find me a quote.

All I have is this - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/...ers/7550754.stm

Fans were assured key players - such as Carlos Cuellar, who has been linked with a move to England - would not be sold to compensate for the failure to secure Champions League money.

And he wasn't sold to compensate for the failure to secure CL football. He was sold because he said he wanted to leave and rejected a new contract.

Templeton bared all of the meeting they had on Friday with Murray, Bain and Smith. He was absolutely distraught and asked to sum up in one word how he felt after the meeting and his word was "betrayed"

I'll try and find a link but I assure you Bain said he was going nowhere unless it was a ridiculous offer on the cards.

Templeton bared all of the meeting they had on Friday with Murray, Bain and Smith. He was absolutely distraught and asked to sum up in one word how he felt after the meeting and his word was "betrayed"

Let's not forget here that Rangers wanted the contents of this RSA meeting to remain confidential. Given all that's happened over the last 24-48 hrs, I can see why they wanted it that way.

There is far too much secrecy and too many unanswered questions at Ibrox these days, especially in regard to transfer activity and communication with the 'rank and file' fans.

That is cluthcing at straws - what did you think we were going spend strengthening the team on? Do you think he rejected a deal in the last week?

Overall, this murkiness and paranoia are further symptoness of the decline of Rangers FC.

There is alot mre of this story to emerge in the coming weeks.

Keevins made a good point on Clyde:

Friday: Templeton was promised Cuellar won't be sold, and if he was it would be for "funny money" and 8 million was not seen as "funny money at the meeting

Saturday: Bain phones him and reassures him that Cuellar won't be sold

Sunday: Cuellar hands in transfer request

Monday: Fee agreed, Cuellar in Birmangham, deal as good as done

It all happened that quick? was there a release clause? was Cuellar injured? Did negotiations only take 1 day? did Cuellar really want to go or was he pushed ala Hutton?

There is more to come from this.

"Cuellar won't be sold, and if he was it would be for "funny money" and 8 million was not seen as "funny money at the meeting"

Could it really be possible that Bain just hadn't bothered to read the contract? Seems incredible I know but standards are so low at Ibrox these days you have to wonder

If you tell people there's a release clause every club left right and center would jump in with unrefusable bids.

Agents - ever famous for being shy and retiring when it comes to their clients - would never let it be known that a fee based release clause was there for the taking. Would they?

I'm convinced that Cuellar faked his so called injury to keep him out of being cup-tied. He wasn't fit to play vs Falkirk, but one day later he handed his notice in - he must have been super-fucking-confident he would pass any medical about to come his way.

And all he cared for was the chance to play at the highest level and so make the best case for a Spanish cap. So he says. But, he knocked back Liverpool & Spurs to go to Villa?

Money, money, money. End of story.

I would reserve comment on Carlos for now., Too many unanswered questions

This is news to me , but fecking Stoke were close to buying him!! :O

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13082008/4/s...uellar-bid.html

Stoke City boss Tony Pulis has revealed the club 'came close' to signing Carlos Cuellar from Rangers.

Spanish defender Cuellar completed his £7.8million transfer to Aston Villa on Tuesday, penning a four-year contract with his new club.

However, Pulis has confirmed that Stoke were in the running to land the 26-year-old's services before they lost out to their Premier League rivals.

"Yes, we did come close to signing Rangers star Carlos Cuellar," Pulis told The Sentinel.

"We did make enquiries and I was more than confident. But once you hear that a club of Villa's size are in for him big time you clearly fear the worst.

"Of course it's disappointing, but there is no point dwelling on it. We are out there not just looking, but making serious attempts to bring new faces in.

"No-one needs to tell me what we need and when we need it by, but I will not be panicked into doing the wrong deals for this football club. And by wrong I mean in a footballing and financial sense."