Ally on moving on from Kaunas

Boab

Kaunas Pain Can Inspire Us

By Andrew Dickson

ALLY McCOIST feels Rangers' players had to experience major disappointment such as their defeat in Kaunas to keep progressing in the months ahead.

The Ibrox assistant manager admits crashing out of the Champions League qualifiers in Lithuania last Tuesday was the biggest low in his time as Walter Smith's deputy.

Gers' 2-1 aggregate loss left them out of Europe at the first hurdle, just 12 weeks after they had contested last season's UEFA Cup final in Manchester.

The mark of a good team is how it responds when the chips are down and McCoist is looking for the Light Blues to show what they're capable of now.

He is convinced positives can be taken from one of the club's darkest hours and that they can inspire the side to a successful campaign in the months to come.

Smith's men certainly took a step in the right direction when they hit back from their Baltic humiliation by opening their SPL campaign with a 1-0 win at Falkirk on Saturday.

They'll look to build upon that victory this weekend when Hearts come to Glasgow for Rangers' first home game of the league season.

McCoist said: "I had a chat with the lads last week and I wouldn't say it is easy as such but it's a lot easier to be a Rangers player when things are going well.

"You find out plenty about people when things aren't going so well and we've certainly had a testing week.Christian Dailly

"It is time for our players to come up to the plate and stand up. That's when you find out who is a Rangers player.

"We made a good start to the league and hopefully that keeps going now because we've only played one game.

"The players now know what it takes to be a Rangers player in every aspect. It's great when it's all going well but you learn a lot when it isn't.

"I feel you have to suffer disappointments to progress and our defeat to Kaunas was a major, major disappointment.

"As long as we learn from it, react to it in the right manner and take positives from what happened, I am sure we can pick ourselves up.

"Make no mistake - it was a shock and a body blow to everyone involved with the club to go out. How we come back from that is what is important."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1364971,00.html

"ALLY McCOIST feels Rangers' players had to experience major disappointment such as their defeat in Kaunas to keep progressing in the months ahead."

I think that part is a load of shite. We should have been experiencing CL football, not the dross we have been served up so far

"ALLY McCOIST feels Rangers' players had to experience major disappointment such as their defeat in Kaunas to keep progressing in the months ahead."

I think that part is a load of shite. We should have been experiencing CL football, not the dross we have been served up so far

What a ridiculous comment(Coistys), you normally base progress on success not on defeat. He'd be better off speaking the truth - that it was a total disaster, but that we now need to pick ourselves up and move on.

Quality teams don't need to lose to keep progressing, I don't see the likes of Man Utd or Chelsea losing all the time.

doh

Ally says its time for players to step up to the plate, what about the coaching staff in general?

Yeah and the time for stepping up to the plate has passed...that was against Kaunus.