Hypothetical Question

Gascoigne and Laudrup didnt fare too well for us in Europe when they were playing originally.

Michael Mols for me (tu)

So true and I think a lot of the younger fans don't quite realise this. Gascoigne, as much as we all loved him, was on the way down when we signed him and a pale shadow of the man who starred for Spurs and England in his prime. He'd lost some pace and power but none of his skill. In Europe, him and Laudrup were marked out of the game and some of it was to do with Smiths singing policy then imo. We had plenty of battlers and quite a few were bottlers - watch Juve raping us for 4 goals twice to see. We didn't have much of a clue in Europe and the players knew that and looked a bit 'heidless'.

Laudrup came out in the press stating that the other players shouldn't leave it all to him and expect him to destroy these teams and said the others had to do more. Sadly they never did.

It took Advocaat to bring together a team that could hold it's own in Europe and I'd like to have seen Laudrup in that side.