The Rangers AGM - The Real Question

Frankie

Smith has no history of using younger players to bring them through the ranks and give them the necessary experience of 1st team football. This is a major failing of 'Uncle' Wattie - one which has cost us in the past and will cost us in the future.

I can see several good young prospects moving on to pastures new over the coming year to eighteen months thanks to Smith's intransigence on this matter.

I don't buy that completely mate as he does sign and play young guys (<23) often enough - now and in his first spell. Adam, Thomson, Burke, Broadfoot, Whittaker at the moment; guys like Neil Murray, Pressley, Charlie Miller, Craig Moore, Davie Robertson etc.

I think he just doesn't use them (or the even younger lads) often enough.

Trust me Frankie - this wee baw face is one they know. ;)

They made the mistake of giving me access to the microphone several years ago (I demanded that any Mirror Group employees in attendance be ejected from that AGM immediately) and my card was forever marked.

I agree that the supplementary question thing needs to be dealt with.

But hey.....what do we do? It's Murray's baw'. <_<

:D Excellent request mate!

Again, I appreciate what you're saying but even if one difficult question gets asked then it's worth going. And I think there will be a few this year.

Not going and not asking such stuff won't improve the situation. Instead we need to take part in the debate.

Same goes for any other forum available to us. One could contend it's because we stepped back from such forums we lost the initiative internally, externally and PR wise.

Smith has no history of using younger players to bring them through the ranks and give them the necessary experience of 1st team football. This is a major failing of 'Uncle' Wattie - one which has cost us in the past and will cost us in the future.

I can see several good young prospects moving on to pastures new over the coming year to eighteen months thanks to Smith's intransigence on this matter.

I don't buy that completely mate as he does sign and play young guys (<23) often enough - now and in his first spell. Adam, Thomson, Burke, Broadfoot, Whittaker at the moment; guys like Neil Murray, Pressley, Charlie Miller, Craig Moore, Davie Robertson etc.

I think he just doesn't use them (or the younger lads) often enough.

OK, I'll rephrase it.

Smith doesn't have a good record of playing youngsters from within the Rangers youth ranks.

Of those you listed, apart from Moore, neither Burke, Adam, Pressley, Miller or Moore could be considered regulars - the others were bought in making my above point valid.

To a degree. ;)

They maybe weren't regulars per se but they did get their chance to play regularly enough and for the most part failed...

The problem with bringing guys through the ranks is that obviously we have the paradox of the young players not getting a chance at Ibrox so only being bought in because they do get the chance elsewhere.

So, the question could be: Do we abort our youth system altogether and just buy up the talent from elsewhere; or do we improve it and stop buying average crap from elsewhere?

Frankie some of the experienced players we've paid good money for have not cut it but at least most of them have been given a chance. Our own young talent who have shown great potential all be it at a younger age group just don't get the chance to show their worth. I'd far rather see young Fleck or loy getting a run out and perhaps doing well or maybe a little disappointing than watch Adam or McCullough and know I'm going to be disappointed.

I don't disagree mate. But Adam is a young player, has been given his chance and hasn't found the quality or consistency required. As such, blooding young guys doesn't always work - many fans complain about not bringing through young players then don't show patience for their development.

Personally Fleck is the player I'd like to see more of. We're struggling up front to a degree and also still struggle to create in the final third. He'd help address that problem - as would Aaron. Both of whom would do at least as good as any other player of recent times I'm sure.

Adam is relativly young but he did not get his chance at Rangers. Just goes to show that someone who has played for someone else in the SPL has a better chance of getting a run under Walter than youngsters that stay.

Adam has had his chance at Rangers after firstly aiding his development via loans to Ross County and St Mirren?

He's featured as much as most other players since he returned from these loans two years ago at the age of 20.

Murray Park youngsters struggle to get any look in at Walter's first team - playing time. He just would rather play Daily, or other experienced players in any position - McCulloch at Centre Mid and at Centre Half now?

Adam is relativly young but he did not get his chance at Rangers. Just goes to show that someone who has played for someone else in the SPL has a better chance of getting a run under Walter than youngsters that stay.

I don't think he played for another SPL side?