Boyd on playing against Celtic, improving and considering quitting

Boab

KRIS BOYD has reignited his Rangers career this season with hard graft and the usual glut of goals.

But the hitman admits the proof of whether he has taken his game to a new level will come on December 27 when Celtic arrive at Ibrox.

If Boyd's name is on boss Walter Smith's team-sheet he'll know he has made progress.

The 25-year-old hasn't played in the last five Old Firm derbies - a heartbreaking statistic for a guy who has been a Gers fan all his life.

Celtic's visit may be four weeks away but Boyd can't stop thinking about it and if he'll get the starting berth he desperately craves.

Kris, who has rattled in 13 goals this season and made himself a first pick in recent weeks, said: "My only aim at the start of the campaign was to get into the team.

"I've done that and hopefully I can stay there. This is as good as I've felt since I came here.

"I missed so many big games last season and just want to get involved in them again.

"They are starting to come in the next few weeks and I'm looking forward to the Celtic match. I want to be part of that and if I am it will be the most encouraging thing for me.

"I've had a taste of Old Firm games and I want to get back there. Missing so many big matches last season hurt.

"To take my game to the next level I need to play in the tougher SPL matches and also in Europe next season.

"You're gutted when you don't play in the Old Firm derby. All you can do is get your head down, get on with things and I feel as if this season I've done that. I've come back feeling stronger, fitter and sharper and I'm starting to reap the rewards of the work I've done.

"I've been working harder in games and in training. Maybe before I just did enough to get by but I'm doing more now and feel better for it."

Boyd admits his omission from crunch matches last term made him consider his future at Ibrox and a move away from Govan crossed his mind.

He said: "I didn't want it to come to that but when you're not playing it does cross your mind.

"I thought maybe my time was up and I'd have to move on.

"I thought about it over the summer but decided to give it another shot. I didn't want to walk away and give up on the club I love as easy as that.

"I've always wanted to play here and be a part of success. I got a taste of that last season and want more this year."

Gers gaffer Smith has been delighted with Boyd's rebirth and believes it's all down to a change in mentality.

And he hinted the striker is now ready to start against Celtic next month. Walter said: "Kris was probably fed up with people saying he doesn't do anything but score goals.

"This season his fitness levels have been terrific and he has worked hard off his own bat.

"There has been a big improvement in his overall play.

"He's not the most athletic of boys when you look at him.

"Finishing is the strongest aspect of Kris's game and maybe he'd thought previously goals would always be enough.

"But he got fed up missing some big games last season and now he's doing something about it. He has lost a bit of weight and his mental approach has been the biggest difference.

"He has worked hard for the team this season, that has finally clicked with him.

"And now he has a chance of being in these big games.

"Kris is playing well and when he makes the effort he's the type of player you want on the pitch because his goalscoring is second to none."

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-news/sco...78057-20936214/