David Weir says Rangers have no excuses

If a week is a long time in politics, it is an eternity in the far more volatile arena of public opinion that surrounds the Old Firm. David Weir, and everyone else at Rangers, has spent the past seven days reflecting on a wretched end to 2008 and what needs to done to put the word “happy” back into the new year.

Defeat by Celtic always has a sobering effect but the timing of the latest setback, allowing the champions to take a seven-point lead over their rivals at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, has inflicted a sense of urgency upon their pursuit.

Walter Smith has told his players that they cannot drop any more points for the rest of their campaign.

While everyone else seems to be focused on possible departures from Ibrox during the January window, Weir says the only business that matters is acquiring three points from tomorrow's trip to Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Indeed, the veteran Scotland defender admitted yesterday that transfer business sometimes brings its own problems.

In attempting to assess just why Rangers have squandered the lead they enjoyed after winning the first Glasgow derby of the season at Celtic Park in August, Weir acknowledged that a dressing-room that had to embrace nine new signings last summer is not completely switched on to the demands of life at Rangers.

“We've taken longer than we should have done to get the mentality right with the new changes to the team,” Weir said. “I don't want to make excuses - what's happened has happened. We have to dictate circumstances. Celtic responded in the right way to the Old Firm defeat and now we have to do the same.”

Smith's declaration after watching Celtic smash their 14-month unbeaten domestic Ibrox record, was that Rangers had to win all of their remaining 18 games if they want to win the title. Weir, who was also with Smith at Everton, endorses his manager's sentiment. “You never feel there is a margin for error at Rangers,” the 38-year-old said. “If you feel that then you are at the wrong place. We should always look to win the next game. If you think you can drop the odd point here and there, then it's the wrong attitude. We've been inconsistent and there are reasons for that.

“When you are at a club like Rangers you just have to get on with it. It's a hard place to play and learn, but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. You are expected to win well and play well, and for young lads who are not used to it, then it's a big ask. It can be a harsh place to be because if you don't win it's an immediate crisis. I'd always rather be here, though, than at some club where it didn't really matter.”

Weir was one of Smith's first recruits when the manager took over at Ibrox in January 2007. It appeared, on paper, to be a short-term move but Weir flourished and earned a year's extension to his deal after helping Rangers to reach the Uefa Cup final last season. “There will always be ups and downs in any season,” he said.

“I felt we could have done better last season. It was a disappointment. This season we're having our disappointments now and if we're smiling again at the end of the campaign, then I can tell you which season I'd rather have.

“The team has changed the way it's played and that's been a reason for inconsistency. Also other teams such as Aberdeen, Hearts and Dundee United have become harder to beat and you have to give them credit. To state that we now have to go on a big run is a bit disrespectful to other teams. The nature of the league is that there will always be twists and turns.

“Our biggest priority is to win games - and that's what has let us down. So, our priority is Inverness. If we think about gaps and ‘if Celtic do this, we'll do that', you will not achieve anything. We have to win, it's as simple as that. We don't have a message to send out or anything like that, we can't look for excuses, we just have to look at ourselves and focus on what it takes to win a title.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5434646.ece

i personally agree , our players seem too come out and talk... but when it comes too the talking on the park it sometimes doesnt happen.

for me the league isnt over as people say it is, we still have the scum at ibrox and parkhead... IF we win both then that will be 1 point behind them unless we drop points or they drop points.

i'll admit the league is over when all the fixtures are finished until then , the league is ours :unionflag: