Blair: Murray is right to sell

RANGERS would have been crazy to say no to Birmingham City’s £3.8million offer for Kris Boyd.

That’s the verdict of top financial expert Blair Nimmo.

The head of financial restructuring for top administrators KPMG reckons Gers owner David Murray HAD to cash in on their top scorer.

He believes crashing out of the Champions League before the group stages coupled with the credit crunch has left Murray’s hands tied. The City deal will see Gers make a £2.7million profit once they have paid Killie their £700,000 sell-on fee.

They will also save around £10,000 a week in wages.

Nimmo said: “We’re in unchartered territory, no one quite knows what’s round the corner.

“I wouldn’t pretend to know the ins-and-outs of Rangers’ finances but they’re just like any other business.

“No-one is immune to this credit crunch and companies have to cut their cloth accordingly.

“No one really knows what’s going to happen in 2009 so I suppose everyone is preparing for the worst.

“Right now money is tight for businesses. The last six months have been tough and the next few months could be worse.

“When they go to their banks they’re not finding it quite so easy to get credit.”

Nimmo understands why Rangers fans wouldn’t want to lose a player who has scored 91 goals in 127 games.

But he believes they must realise why the club decided to cash in.

He added: “It’s a very simplistic view for fans to keep on demanding that clubs spend money.

“It’s all very well for them to come on the phone-ins and have a go at clubs for selling their best players.

“Rangers have found themselves in a difficult position and they’re trying their best to get themselves out of it.

“They lost a lot of money by going out of the Champions League and I think they’re still trying to make up the shortfall.

“Supporters need to understand this.

“It sounds like this is a purely financial decision as Rangers try to get what they can for one of their biggest assets.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2107511.ece

I read the title and couldn't think of any Blair apart from Tony, was looking forward to his opinions seeing as he has a bit more time off. Bit gutted. Anyway, he's pretty much stating the obvious but I think he's gone (if he actually goes) far too cheap. Look to the future though.