Naismith wants to play in Semis and Finals again

Boab

Published Date: 18 January 2009

By Ewing Grahame

MISSING all three of Rangers' cup finals last season has made Steven Naismith determined to help them lift silverware this time around.

He was cup-tied when the Ibrox club won the League Cup by beating Dundee United last March and his disappointment was compounded when he snapped his cruciate ligament, ruling him out of the Scottish Cup final success against Queen of the South and, most disappointing of all, the UEFA Cup final against Zenit St Petersburg.

He made his comeback in Tuesday's win against St Johnstone and his timing couldn't be better, with the Co-operative Insurance Cup semi-final against Falkirk nine days away. "Rangers got to three cup finals last season and I wasn't able to play in any so that makes me more determined ," said the 22-year-old. "I went to all of those finals so obviously I know how it feels to be sitting in the stand. I played for Kilmarnock in the CIS Cup final and we lost 5-1 but missing last season's was even more frustrating.

"However, the League Cup semi-final is coming up as is the last-16 of the Scottish Cup and I need to show what I can do in training and, hopefully, the manager will pick me."

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Naismit...ning.4887859.jp